Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way into work this morning, on my RG, and my bike broke down on me. I was going 70mph using the cruise control. I heard a click, then a louder clank and after that I was no longer receiving any power to the rear wheel. I rolled the bike to the side of the road, put it in neutral and shut it down. I restarted the bike, put it in gear and still nothing. She is acting like she is in neutral no matter what gear I put her in. Free rolling regardless of what I position I put the clutch in.

I have no performance mods on her. The only thing that has been done is a Hydraulic Clutch and a Lowering Kit. She has 6700 miles on her, she is a few miles over due for an oil change, but only by about 100 or 150 miles. (I live very far away from my harley shop and have been too busy with work to get her there.)

Anyone have any idea what the issue is?

·
Shark of the Month December 2013
679 Posts
I would pull the primary and take a gander. Im guessing something in the clutch broke.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Do you hear any noise when the engine is running. It will either have to do with something on the primary side or the hydraulic clutch upgrade. How does the clutch feel? If it feel normal than the primary side is where you may want to start.
Is the drive belt still good? I know you probably checked it but I thought I ask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Belt is fully intact and in the right spot, I haven't noticed any noises that are unique or out of the ordinary. I will check both sides and see what the I hear. The clutch felt normal.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I have never heard of a primary chain breaking but I guess shit could happen but it kinda sounds like the problem may be right in the transmission. If you have a warranty or extended warranty on the bike I would suggest using it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, after further ispection, I found that I am able to shift with out holding the clutch down. No matter what gear it is in, I am able to roll the bike as though it is neutral. This tells me that the clutch is staying fully engaged. So, Looks like I will be fixing that this weekend.

·
679 Posts
Me and JTB win!!! What do we get?

·
679 Posts
Too bad i dont drink beer but id love to fix it if he was close.

·
Administrator
10,374 Posts
I don't drink either , maybe we should jus ride up to Alaska and make him feed us some grub and pay for our trip up ..

Normally it would be him ride down and feed us , but what fun wud that be for us

JtB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Me and JTB win!!! What do we get?
Actually, you both are wrong. After I got it on a trailer and back home to the garage, I got the bags off and found the problem. The Final Drive Sprocket had sheared its bolts off and was spinning freely on the axel. So, now that I have the parts on order, $300 later, I will be able to fix it. I am just thankful that it is an easy fix. I think that the bolts weren't torqued correctly and that there was no Locktight on them. It could have happened when the shop installed the 2in lowering kit.

If you guys wanna ride up, I will feed ya, give you a bed to sleep in and take you fishin. It is a hell of a ride here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have no idea why they would have removed them. It makes no sense to me. I have also been reading that continued use on bumpy offroad conditions, like the one that I live on, can cause it to get loose.

I always use high temp LockTight. When I get the parts in I plan to make sure that they are torqued correctly and I use it. I may also take this opportunity to do it to all the bolts that I can get to on the exterior.

·
Registered
20 Posts
take a look in the clutch reservoir
I bet you find some dirt blocking the bleeder hole ,this will prevent the clutch
from engaging.

·
Registered
76 Posts
AK I can see from your photo album that the roads might be a little rough up there, you might need a dirt bike just to get to your Harley.

Is that a 2007?

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
how are the holes in the wheel? usually when the bolts get sheared off, the holes get wallowed as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts