Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I wasn't sure what to call the part but I've broken off one the threaded posts where the screws that hold the inner and out fairing together seats. Specifically the lower right screw. I've got the piece that broke off and I'm wondering if there is some way of re-attaching it; some sort of super glue or joining compound that might work? I hoping I don't have to get another fairing for such a small issue...

Has anyone re-attached one of these posts or have a work around?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-D

p.s. I've also a small crack where the turn signal attaches. Any suggestions for that?

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Are you talking about the upper fairing support bracket that attaches to the crash bar or is the problem in the threaded stud in the turn signal?? Some pics of the bracket and the crack in the fairing would help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Horrible design isn't it. You can epoxy it back together. You can put the screw in and use it to hold them together. Apply "splints" along side the screw post with epoxy. The splints will make it a stronger weld instead of just butt welding it on with epoxy.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
JB Weld a patch on the inside of the fairing over the turn signal crack.
Bed buttresses in JB Weld around screw post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What he said ^ (mechanical1)...I have used Devcon Epoxy too...I like the '5 minute cure' type...butt weld it back on 1st...let it dry...then take your time and just build it up in layers to add extra 'bulk' to the mount. Let it dry at least 24 hours...and don't over tighten the screw...fixed! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
check out the plastic weld kits at harbor freight if epoxy or jb weld doesn't work. I've fixed a bunch of ATV and dirt bike plastic fenders with the kit. Plus i give you an excuse to play with FIRE!:) It basically melts the plastic together again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!! You don't know how happy you've made me. The suggestions make sense. I'll try the JB Weld route and build up the area around the break (once dried) with some epoxy to strengthen --I might as well strengthen the others while the fairing is off ;).

It is a rather strange design. I don't think it would have cost much more to beef up those posts and maybe add an metal threaded insert. Although I don't know how much extra stress that would add to the fairing (I mean that luckily just the post broke. If it had been more sturdy could it have resulted in a cracks in the fairing at the anchoring point?). I'm no materials/structural engineer. I'm very glad, however, to have been given a solution that doesn't result in purchasing a new fairing! Thanks again Fellowship of the Shark Noses!!! Your knowledge and wisdom are very much appreciated!!!

Ride safe out there and best regards,
-D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts