Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding to Denver my brother-in-law's front shifter stripped out. Emergency road side fix with allen wrench and the wrenches from the HD tool kit, is to remove the bolts holding the shifter. Move the rear to the front, you'll need to pry them open to slip onto the rod, while using the broken one as a spacer. Flip the pegs around. Finally zip tie them together so the inner stripped out shifter doesn't slip. This got us from Omaha to Denver, about 40 miles from Denver he realized the need for the zip ties.
Next day we took it to Avalanche HD and despite being booked out till Friday they fixed his bike in a matter of hours. Had to replace the whole shifter rod as it was stripped out inside. Then we road the Rockies and up Mount Evans without a problem.
Once in Omaha on the way home things had loosened up but a little blue loctite fixed it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me years ago while in South Dakota. Luckily the dealer had all the parts in stock and I had the right tools to fix it in the dealers parking lot. My bike was plagued with a lot of little problems on that trip.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
743 Posts
That's weird I had the same thing happen to me in Denver! Must be the altitude :surprise:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts