Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounted some Hog Tunes speakers and on the way to Sturgis my tunes sound took a dump. When we pulled over for lunch I pushed lightly on the right side grill and the speaker grill fell into the fairing!

Fished out the grill and speaker from the bottom of the fairing, the speaker had been residing down with my headlights for a couple hundred miles, no wonder I was wondering what the Hell happened to my sound quality.Has anybody seen this before, due to the extra magnet weight? I've wrenched my own bikes and trucks for 25+ yrs so I didn't torque the screws so bad too break the standoffs.

Just thought it was weird, and wondered if any other Road Glide owners had the same crap happen to them with aftermarket(heavier) speakers. Stainless 8/32 machine screws and fender washers and punching some holes thru the fairing tomorrow.....

Dirk

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Could you use some "panel bond for plastic" and make the mounting area stronger so you do not need to punch holes thru the fairing just a thought

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I been using Hog Tunes speakers for 2 1/2 years and haven't had any problems , I use the 5x7 speakers now but I had the 5" speakers in before . I never seen or heard of any problems like this .

J

·
0 Posts
I have Hawg Wired and my left sides are broken off to. I just noticed today. Have you fixed them yet?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Hawg Wired and my left sides are broken off to. I just noticed today. Have you fixed them yet?
I'll post some pic's shortly, still waffling with some 5x7's - one way or another it'll be rectified by Saturday....

Dirk

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I second the plastic repair stuff, I ran 140k mi on a hastily repaired hub cap
and JB weld.

the JB version you have to wait overnight for works better. the quick fix stuff is terrible.

I've noticed that when the weather changes here in KY, getting colder, my plastic parts I use at work snap and break like crazy, ABS, zip ties.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, yes I have - but most people here will recoil in horror at the fix. All I know is my speaker will never fall in my fairing again, in the middle of a whirwind 5k road trip that was too hectic of a pace to try and fix it. My bike's first priorty is to cover ground so I'll get over the inner fairing butchery, cause going almost 3k in 4 days singing to yerself sucks....... put a little silicone behind the stainless finishing washers and had to carefully cut down the bottom stainless bolt so the 5x7 snugs up perfectly flush with the adaptor rings.

Dirk

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, it might be fugly but the sound and volume are great, ramped her all the way up and no distortion that my ear can tell anyways... torn about putting acoustical backing on the outer fairing, as I don't want to trap heat from the amp and equipment either!
This clip aint the best but my camera sound would cut out if I dialed it up too much and the outer fairing is still in the house....

Dirk

CLICK ON PIC
[/URL][/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
While I liked the original install, it left me wanting more! I flipped the orig amp to a buddy and got a 4ch and speakers for the lowers..... it came out great :D and didn't cost alot compared with some of the other stuff and Hog Tunes is Canadian.
I can't wait to have baffles and the fairings in place and see what it sounds like!

Dirk
<CLICKY>

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just got mine back together and noticed the precursor to this same thing. My speaker is dangling by the upper screws. Panel bond who makes it? Going in for the repair next week and thru bolt is last resort. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts