Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the teaser! My buddy and I have the same bike. He bought his new so he has no excuse for the brown - I bought mine used at a low price so that's my excuse. Regardless, the brown was driving us both crazy.

So he worked with a graphics/sign company to come up with matte back overlays made from vinyl tape. Right now we have the fender and the faring done.

I saw his and it actually looked good - I don't think any other color of vinyl would have worked as well the matte but this reminds me of the muscle car hoods with the matte black inserts. I am going to work with the guy to do the tank, side panels and bags.

This is my stop gap until I ultimately do custom paint to replace the brown stripe!

·
Registered
875 Posts
you should make several and try to sell them on here as a kit
I would definitely be interested. Have same color scheme and have hated the brown since day 1. Appreciate you showing us the end result.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
it feels like a different bike

it's probably faster now, if not handles better

oh yes h-donut - I haven't ridden it yet as I am waiting on some powdercoated parts to come in on Friday, but I fully anticipate that it will be faster and handle better! If not, I will be disappointed to say the least!:eek:

you should make several and try to sell them on here as a kit
We have the files saved and can reproduce. Once we have a complete set (front fender, fairing, tank, side panels, bags), we will determine if we will sell them and the overall costs.

The issue and concern is the difficulty of installation. The front fender is easy and goes on quick. The fairing, especially the front, has a lot of compound curves as does the tank. The guy who owns the graphics company did my buddies in 15 minutes for the fender and both sides of the fairing but he does this for a living. It took me just a few to do the fender but at least 30 minutes per side to do the faring and most of that was spent on the front around the headlight. I did mine last night and haven't went to the garage to see if it has issues around the front yet after sitting overnight! Hopefully all is good.

The graphics guy said that he previously sold some decals on ebay similar to this to replace some graphics on an F250 I think (not sure what the ugly issue was) but he stopped selling the kit because people were screwing up the install and then saying it didn't fit right and wanted a refund. He said the install on the Road Glide is more involved than the previous kit for the F250 so we don't want to have the issue of replacing part or all of the graphics or issuing refunds due to installation issues.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Very nice. That's a great idea. I did something very similar, although I'm sure mine was a lot more expensive. I have the BBP Ultra that came with the 'Sky Blue' or 'Matte Baby Blue' stripes. I disliked them from day one, so the first available winter, I pulled all the tins and had the stripes painted Charcoal Black.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice. That's a great idea. I did something very similar, although I'm sure mine was a lot more expensive. I have the BBP Ultra that came with the 'Sky Blue' or 'Matte Baby Blue' stripes. I disliked them from day one, so the first available winter, I pulled all the tins and had the stripes painted Charcoal Black.
Nice!

I will utlimately do something either have the beige pinstripe changed (saw one done in red and it really changed the look of the brown - I was thinking maybe Orange) or have the stripe completely repainted or maybe even a custom paint job with a different color on top to eliminate the crazy swirl marks that vivid black gets if you look at it wrong!

What did repainting the stripe run you? I assume they scuffed it, repainted it, re-pinstriped it, and then cleared it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks great Stacy. Now all you gotta do is get rid of them fork reflectors :)
Those are pics of my buddy's bike. The reflector was gone on mine right after I bought it! Here are some pics before the stripe but with some of the black powder coating, the rear fascia, new bars, and the enforcer wheels!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Nice

What did repainting the stripe run you? I assume they scuffed it, repainted it, re-pinstriped it, and then cleared it.
Yes, local airbrush guy that I've used before scuffed, repainted, pinstriped it and then recleared the entire piece (Fender, fairing, tank and side covers). I also had him paint the inner fairing. The whole deal was $1250 if I recall, it's been a couple of years.

Expensive, I know, but I really had a vendetta against those stripes. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Op, if you're making a list of interested potential customers' please put me on it. Got mine used also, love the black hate the brown. Would love to see them all gone. Plasti dipped the front fender and that's held up good, but those tank stripes...yeesh.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I cant say I hate the brown, I like it but that flat black looks way better. And im on a tight budget, spending a grand on paint just isnt in the budget.

Im interested if this gets offered as a kit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will keep you guys posted once we get the full kit - right now we just have the front fender and fairing. I am out of town for business over the next few weeks so it might be challenging to get the bike over to the sign shop plus the weather is turning ugly!

What would you guys be willing to pay? We don't want to make a fortune on these if we do it but we have to cover costs of materials and time.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts