Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2006 RG that has a stock motor and the only add on is screaming eagle pipes. When I am running in any gear but more noticeable in lower gears, when I hold the throttle steady the motor seams to surge and causing the bike to buck. Went to the dealer and tried to explain my issue and they said it's how I ride, because they could not recreate what I said. All I wanted is for them to see if the bike was mapped when the pipes were installed by previous owner. They told me of coarse it was otherwise it wouldn't run. I would pay to have it checked but they refused. Is this right?
I am not looking to build this bike up, I like it just as it is except for this issue so I don't want to buy a tunner. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
bucking

You say you bought it used? How many miles on it? Has the fuel filter ever been changed? I changed my 011 at 25k and it was pretty nasty. I had surging problems with crappy gas also.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
How many miles on the bike? What do the plugs and wires look like and have they ever been changed?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
+ 1 on a fuel issue. Make sure the fuel is good and you have a new filter, check the fuel lines that are inside the fuel tank for cracks too.
You should also check your throttle body for vacum leaks, a small vacume leak could cause your problem.
If the bike has only had a exhaust upgrade then there was no need for remapping your ECM.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Check the connector at the ECM. It can cause the exact thing you're describing..... Pull the connector and clean the contacts, then apply a tiny amount of dielectric grease.

It the dealer refused to work on the bike, you need to find a better dealer.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I would find a better shop than that dealer. :eek: I'm no expert but I don't think you would change any engine mapping for just putting on some SE pipes unless you changed something on the intake side (SE air cleaner?).

·
Registered
654 Posts
I also have a 2006. I am the third owner. The guy I purchased the bike from (second owner) swore it was a stock motor except for the Vance and Hines mufffler slip ons. It also has a small buck at low throttle in the lower gears. So last fall I was at the dealership buying a new key. Guy at the MOCO parts desk asks for the ownership for theft purposes. As he was typing in the number, I asked him if any mods were done to the bike by any previous owners. Parts guy said the first owner had a 95" big bore kit installed. This also comes with an ECM flash. So I think that the bucking may come from an ECM flash. And you are right, it is hard to get a dealership to tell you of any mods that were previously performed on what is now your bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't think it's hard to get info. It's not like your medical records. I bought a 05', the previous owner told me he only had dealerships work on it. I asked him which ones. I called those dealers, gave them the vin told them I just bought it. They emailed me all service history. It was nice to have.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
I'd try a new set of plugs . Cheap and easy, then go from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice, the bike only had 5900 miles on it when I bought it in December, now has around 8000. As far as the dealer goes it will never go back there again. I have pulled the plugs, they look fine. I will look into the plug at the ECM . I will replace the fuel filter before I take it to Laconia.
Other than the surging when the throttle is steady the bike runs great.
Thanks again for the help..

·
Registered
654 Posts
I like the idea of pulling the ECM plug. I am also going to try that on my bike.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I like the idea of pulling the ECM plug. I am also going to try that on my bike.

Also clean the contacts on the Throttle Position Sensor on the Induction Module. That can also cause problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Stumble

As has been posted, try fuel filter, check fuel lines in thank all the above, but I would check you intake first. While the bike is running and warmed up to temp try spraying some brake or carb cleaner or even WD-40 on the intake flanges if your idle changes at all either raise's or stumble's you have an air leak. R&R the intake seal's and that should do it.
Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
454 Posts
+ 1 on a fuel issue. Make sure the fuel is good and you have a new filter, check the fuel lines that are inside the fuel tank for cracks too.
You should also check your throttle body for vacum leaks, a small vacume leak could cause your problem.
If the bike has only had a exhaust upgrade then there was no need for remapping your ECM.
+1 in addition if it's your fuel lines in the tank it should run better on a full tank but get worse as the fuel level lowers. Could be why the MOCO can't recreate the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts