Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I decided to go with the Rokkers in the fairing and even though I'm fighting the urge, I see myself getting an amp in the very near future. I know there are tons of choices out there but was wondering if any of you guys could weigh in on what would be the best amp for a smaller budget. I'm not trying to blast the guy that pulls up beside me but just want something to make those speakers sound a little better.
Thanks again as always for the input

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just got a hw 300 from frank with the wiring kit for around 3 bills . Not sure of your budget

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got a hw 300 from frank with the wiring kit for around 3 bills . Not sure of your budget

From what I've looked at, it looks like the cheapest I will get out is going to be for right around that. Not that I'm trying to get a piece of crap amp, but I just don't want to spend $500 + for one.
Who is Frank? Which HW amp did you get?

·
Registered
280 Posts
From what I've looked at, it looks like the cheapest I will get out is going to be for right around that. Not that I'm trying to get a piece of crap amp, but I just don't want to spend $500 + for one.
Who is Frank? Which HW amp did you get?
Frank @ dragos bike works call him he's a great guy to deal with. I got the cs300
Www.Hawg-wired.com

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
or PBR300x2 for $150 fits and is moderately powerful
I will still give Frank a call, but the $150 is closer to what I would like to spend. Where did you get that, Donut?
Thanks for the pointers guys!! I used to mess around with stereos in my car years ago, but I'm a rookie when it comes to the bike.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Hog tunes, you can get speakers and amp for around $250 and its all plug and play. If your set on the Rockers you just as well better buy a good amp and not get cheap.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I got my PBR300x2's from Amazon and ebay

I over the countered wire from a car stereo store, but it's the same wire as EFX or knu concepts, around $20-40 depending where you shop, amazon for example has the tin coated aluminum for $18 and copper coated aluminum for $30, the same thing in walmart is around $40 after tax, included 17' power 4' ground 20' speaker wire

my PBR's are cranked constantly with no issues, maybe I just got lucky

there are some differences between hawg wired and rockford PBR300x2

a. warranty, obviously better with hawgwired

b. the remotes do different things: hawgwired remote, wirelessly changes the amp gain and crossovers, where as the PBR remote is a PUNCH boost, targets road noise elimination

I'd recommend with either one, taking your time and find good amp cooling.

CS is supposed to the PBR killer, and maybe so, my PBR sounds really good, so
unless a gold brick grows out of my chimney, I'm happy with what I have.

if I had to buy today: it's only about a hundred more for the hawgwired

not as big a stretch as it was a year ago

but when you start adding hundred dollar bills together, or want more parts, etc...

good luck

·
Registered
354 Posts
there are some differences between hawg wired and rockford PBR300x2

a. warranty, obviously better with hawgwired

b. the remotes do different things: hawgwired remote, wirelessly changes the amp gain and crossovers, where as the PBR remote is a PUNCH boost, targets road noise elimination

CS is supposed to the PBR killer, and maybe so, my PBR sounds really good, so unless a gold brick grows out of my chimney, I'm happy with what I have.
I thought the remotes were sold separately. Are you saying they come with the amp now??

The CS costs twice the price of a PBR. Is it really worth the extra money? I mean, can you really notice a difference barreling down the interstate at 80mph?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
speaker selection is a good point of consideration also

both remotes are additional in cost

hawgwired has theirs listed at $89 but you may need their updated bluetooth harness also, not sure about that, they make a good harness, but then you are in aftermarket radio, kinda like a snowball effect.

Punch remote or PEQ is about $23 on ebay, just does the EQ

I run front amp 90Hz high pass and larger speakers full pass

so the PEQ only boosts highs in high pass and both high and low in full pass

I tried the low pass on the rears, not enough power to isolate those frequencies imho, in that mode just the bass is boosted

I haven't yet, but am adding some pre-amp gain knobs also, for easier adjustment without fumbling through the radio interface

there's no sound stage on a bike so it's all about the first set of waves being dynamic

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I thought the remotes were sold separately. Are you saying they come with the amp now??

The CS costs twice the price of a PBR. Is it really worth the extra money? I mean, can you really notice a difference barreling down the interstate at 80mph?

I'm getting ready to find out, I'm running a PBR 300x4 for the fairing and rear pods and next week I'm installing a CS300 and 2 HW 6.5's in the lowers....:D

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
that should be an interesting update

ZX are nice quality
H-D - speaking of the PEQ....I went ahead and ordered that and just got it in the mail today along with the KNU Koncepts wiring kit (thanks for the tips on those).
Any advice on how to tune the amp when I do my install and how to use the PEQ to refine?
Also...where do you recommend puttting the PEQ? Glovebox?
Thanks!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the PBR 300x2 in the Big Brown Truck today.
It's pushing two J&M Rokker XTs and wondered what I should set the amp to... High Pass or All Pass. Obviously not Low Pass bit I wasn't sure which one between the other two.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Check out ebay for the Fosgate Punch 2channel amp. About $150. Sounds great and they throw in the heavy power and ground cables.

http://tinyurl.com/d4f77va

·
JMJOHN
1,003 Posts
Just remember that an amplifier that does not need a heavy gauge power and ground wire, to the battery & the frame, cannot be putting out very much RMS power ,,,,,,

you cannot produce power to the speakers without sufficient current from the battery, thru the amplifier ,,,,

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just remember that an amplifier that does not need a heavy gauge power and ground wire, to the battery & the frame, cannot be putting out very much RMS power ,,,,,,

you cannot produce power to the speakers without sufficient current from the battery, thru the amplifier ,,,,
Takes power to make power right ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts