Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife's cousin. So I do what can to help.

He has a 16 RGS. Had to have it. And now he's so tight any add ons are an issue. My Brother in law donated slip ons. I'm gutting my head pipe for him. I gave him a few chrome add ons. But here I can't help other than find a quality set at a decent price. So I'm thinking mitered bars are out. Everything I see has the Damn step down to 1" at the clamp and the wires dump out the bottom. Who makes a bar that's 1.25" through out. And has the exit for the wiring in the feont. Adding 100 bucks for new risers isn't going to happen.

And for the record. This really isn't his fault. His wife does all the bills and told him they could afford the payment. She has to keep up with the Jones (Me and my Wife) for some reason.

·
Registered
100 Posts
+1 on the Road 6 Customs bars. I have the 13'' standard apes on mine and like them a lot. I think I got them on sale for around $160. The only issue is, I don't believe they offer them in chrome if that's what you're looking for.

·
Registered
93 Posts
+1 for Road 6 Customs. Easy install and they are inexpensive. I've done two sets now and the only thing you have to do is either pull the pin or tap it in(I did the later on both). Here is my buddies 2016, it took us about an hour. Both of them were the 13" bars, no extensions needed. The only other thing that you have to get are grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I have a question. Why does he NEED to modify the bike? Sounds like he can make the payments, but can't splurge on luxuries.

Been there many times in my life. I think I was the last person to get a color TV, a VCR, a CD player, a DVD player, cable TV, Cell phone, etc. Took 10 years to put myself through college and sacrifices had to be made.

The have to have it now attitude regardless of the ability to pay for it is one of the major problems in our society.

Harley is a risky investment right now because of all the sub-prime loans they are giving along with the number of defaults on those loans.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a question. Why does he NEED to modify the bike? Sounds like he can make the payments, but can't splurge on luxuries.

Been there many times in my life. I think I was the last person to get a color TV, a VCR, a CD player, a DVD player, cable TV, Cell phone, etc. Took 10 years to put myself through college and sacrifices had to be made.

The have to have it now attitude regardless of the ability to pay for it is one of the major problems in our society.

Harley is a risky investment right now because of all the sub-prime loans they are giving along with the number of defaults on those loans.
He's 6'3" and had a broken back from a previous accident. He does need to be more upright.

Actually his wife told him to take it back and they'd eat the loss. He wasn't having that.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
He's 6'3" and had a broken back from a previous accident. He does need to be more upright.

Actually his wife told him to take it back and they'd eat the loss. He wasn't having that.
I feel for him regarding the back. Maybe he needs to sell some of his wife's jewelry. Starting with the ring on her left hand. ;)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I agree with several of the others who suggested Road 6 Customs. I've got their standard apes on my 2015 RG and really like them. Installation was also a breeze since they have rounded corners and not the 90 degree or more "pointers".

Badseed Cycles also makes a nice bar.

I've also installed a set of FMB bars that were nice, but installation required a bit more patience (see my first sentence :))

All of the bars mentioned above except for the FMBs can be had for right at the $200 or a bit more mark. The FMBs will set you back in the $350 range and if you're going to spend that, there are a lot of other options.

Links for your easy reference;

Road 6 Customs
2015 Harley Road Glide Parts

Bad Seed Cycles
https://www.badseedcycles.com/home.html

FMB Choppers
Harley Custom Handlebars- Custom ape hangers

If you're feeling even more budget minded shop around for a set of used bars. Some folks sell/trade them like they change girlfriends :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've been eyeing up JSR Customs bars. Probably will pick them up once the tax returns show up. Good price on those as well.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 on the Road 6 Customs bars. I have the 13'' standard apes on mine and like them a lot. I think I got them on sale for around $160. The only issue is, I don't believe they offer them in chrome if that's what you're looking for.
Best I've found them is $179.99 on the Road 6 site. Where did you get them for 160?

As far as grips I have a nice set off my 11 I'm going to give him. I'll be installing the bars. So he saves a ton on labor. I'm cheap. A cheeseburger and a beer and I am good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Road 6 is the way to go. I got my 13" apes for 185 delivered. Regular apes are wider than the angled ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Best I've found them is $179.99 on the Road 6 site. Where did you get them for 160?

As far as grips I have a nice set off my 11 I'm going to give him. I'll be installing the bars. So he saves a ton on labor. I'm cheap. A cheeseburger and a beer and I am good.
I caught a $30 off sale during Sturgis. I guess they were technically $169.99 but even at $180 they are a quality bar at affordable price! As far as the grips go, I was able to save the factory grips. I was able to use a thin bladed screw driver to loosen the glue holding the left grip to the factory bars. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for a the replies. I just sent him the link to the bars and told him what tabs to choose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well. To my surprise she ordered them already. So hopefully they'll be here for the weekend so I can install them. I'll post pics.

I think.the black is a better option anyway. He has the hard candy black/gold. It needs help that's for sure.

Never seen a standard with a custom shop.paint set before.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I put the buky Malos on my 2013 and never looked bac

1 - 19 of 19 Posts