Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined yesterday and I have a burning question regarding my build. But first!, let's bring everyone up to date as to my progress thus far.
I purchased this scoot back in Feb. of 2020. It's a 2008 Harley Road King, turned Roadglide. 96ci motor, 6 speed trans. Here it is the day that I bought it.

It came with several crates of parts belonging to both this bike and others...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After sifting through all of the parts, organizing, cleaning, organizing, cleaning, I eventually started to sort things out. As this is my first Harley (see intro page under my user name), I began to do copious amounts of research into discovering what was what and which parts belonged to which year, make and model.
What I found were a couple of goodies...First, bar and riser combo on the bike were ~14in. Bung King brand.
I don't have a photo of it, but the intake manifold has a small CNC'd, what looks like block off piece, that has HPI branding on it. The guts don't look like anything special (ported, polished, etc.), but then again, this is my first Harley so what do I know lol.
The front wheel is a 19in. enforcer wheel - I'm definitely a fan!
The rear wheel however is a mystery...I'll be sure to take a picture and maybe someone can help a brotha out.
I purchased it without knowing if it ran, but I'm confident it will. The motor turns over manually without any funky-ness.
Although I found some nice tid-bits, I also found some unsavory-type shadetree mechanic work...:

Yep, you saw correctly, wiring for the voltage regulator - twisted together and wrapped in electrical tape...
If you know what you're looking at, you might not be concerned because you'd know that that voltage regulator is not stock on an 08' touring model, but I didn't know that at the time and this scared the dickens outta me. I figured this must be the first sign of worse problems to come. Luckily, I haven't found anything world ending, just some sketchiness.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picked up a touring seat for $50 a couple cities over; definitely a steal. Thing was in mint condition too!

Here's a photo of that rear wheel I mentioned...anyone have a clue as to what it is?

[Btw, I'm currently going through a slew of photos I've taken over the past couple months and allowing them to trigger my memories and lead y'all through this story with me. I apologize for any jagged-ness in the story-telling here.]
The bike came with two wiring harnesses...one from the original Roadking and another from a touring model from 08-13, not sure which model exactly. Both harnesses were hacked up as I'm sure you can imagine so I decided to start fresh. I ordered a new-to-me main harness and an interconnect harness. I then began going through my shop manual and labeling Every. Single. Connection.

Then, slowly adding things onto the bike and seeing how it might all come together.

These pictures speak for themselves...the bike was cheap for a reason. Whoever's handiwork this is needs to put down their tools and pick up a different hobby.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then, the mass eBay ordering would begin. Comparing images via google searches, youtube videos, and the shop manual with what I was finding on eBay and taking the plunge. As I don't really have any harley buddies or connections, I was on my own here.

A moment of frustration here when I realized yet another part I had to buy (brake caliper off a dyna I believe?).
Couple notes on this photo.
  • This was the first time I had put a saddle bag where it was supposed to go and I was stoked beyond belief! It's the little things.
  • I realize the way the fairings are isn't exactly taking care for the finishes, but they don't match so I was already preparing to order fresh inner and outer fairings anyways. (The outer seems to be fiberglass with no bungs to accept screws - completely smooth inside and out. The inner not only has two GIANT holes cut in it for extra speakers, but also has snapped off mounting points for speaker grilles. No point in saving them.)
  • The grease spot below the saddlebag was the point at which I noticed my right rear shock had a very slow leak. Just more parts to buy....
[This was probably a lesson I should have learned from my old man...cheap bikes are not cheap in the end.] lol
- The triple trees seen here have a rake to them. The PO planned on turning this into a big wheel bagger...yuck.

Parts everywhere...tools everywhere...definitely in the midst of a backyard build.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely a d'oh moment here...read the torque spec wrong and welp...

I should know better...
This was while installing the Alloy Art cush drive.

Four bolts will do for now. Not like the bikes going anywhere anytime soon lol. [Read: I WILL fix this, just not right now.]
This is the most "together" this bike has been so far!
That's an aftermarket turn signal bar; it'll do.
The bag lids appear to be 'Bagger Brother's' Lids. I'll swap em out eventually. Not going to put speakers there anyhow.
You might have noticed this as you're going through all the photos, many of the parts have new-er powdercoating on them which was a nice finding. However, if you look closely, the cam chest has a mis-matching finish. (Foreshadowing for later 😉).
The struggle to get that kickstand...er..jiffy stand on was REAL! New springs were no joke.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better view on those speaker holes I was talking about:

A picture's worth a thousand words right?
Check out this handiwork. Someone was into audio. In all of my time working on cars & motorcycles, there seems to be a correlation between quality of work and someone's interest in DIY audio equipment...:unsure: Can anyone confirm my theory?

This is what keeps me going...seeing it put together. Sitting in the saddle. Knowing I'll be riding it eventually.

Bought some radial calipers off an 05 GSXR I believe...
"We have the technology". - time to rebuild!

Gross...time for new everything. Before^.
After.

At some point in time, everything will be getting powder coated & painted. There will be new finishes on everything. For now, I just need everything to function as it's supposed to.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Wow....Welcome...what a way to jump into the tank....keep this thread updated...I think a lot of people want to see your progress on this build.

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
Pretty cool build. Hopefully the drive train is all good when you get to that stage.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Awesome job! That’s a helluva jump into the shark tank! I remember when I was hesitant to just drill holes in the tour pack lid for a luggage rack.

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all,
Thanks for all the support. I really appreciate it considering how big of a dive this is.
Big_gary, I too hope the drivetrain is good to go...I'd hate to get everything together just for it to blow up in my face. The title says 21,000 miles; if that's true and nothing's been touched, the bikes just barely broken in!
DanHappy, been working on it since I brought it home back in Feb!
More to come!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Testing out my wiring/ looming skills and making sure everything lines up with the Diagrams in the manual.
The orange wasn't permanent, just wanted to check it out. It's currently all in black.
Tried out crimping my own pins and making my own connectors. When I eventually tried plugging it in, the pins wouldn't line up no longer how hard I tried. Turns out I ham-handed it and crushed the pin into the wire too far. Found the connector I needed on eBay for like $20 as part of a larger loom - wish I would've seen that earlier! All put together and all I needed to do was solder it in. Anywho, it was a good learning experience either way.

There was LOTS of wiring going on. Extending this, fixing that, undoing whatever nonsense the PO had done, etc. etc. Needless to say, my soldering skills are phenomenal now.
Check out some of the disgusting-ness I found:
All around, I'm glad I've gone through bit by bit checking every inch of the wiring harness. While vital components were left alone for the most part, the condition of this wiring would have left me stranded at some point or another (I ride rain or shine, 365 - living in Socal it is my intention that this bike become my daily).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Next up was rebuilding the front end. New seals, bushings, and oil, AND I found a nice little surprise waiting for me!:

Not sure whether it was comforting or not to know someone had been in here before considering the state of the bike.
But either way, upgraded suspension is fine by me!
Although I really was into the look of the front fork lowers being blacked out to match the rest of the bike, the best deal I could find locally on a set that were dual caliper were in plain aluminum. So, to that we went! (Also I get impatient waiting and just wanted the bike together).

Forks have been rebuilt in this photo as well as the calipers bolted up just to see how they looked. I think it looks bitchin', but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Couple notes here:
  • I was banging my head against the wall because I couldn't figure out why my fairing's turn signal holes weren't lining up with the support brackets (attached to the crash bar). Turns out, the damn thing was mounted upside down the whole time.
  • Brake lines have been ran, but not filled.
  • Internal wiring on the bars and risers has been ran...photos to come.
  • Still missing grips and a clutch cable because the one that came with the bike was incorrect. Anyone picking up on a theme here?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Parts were always coming in the mail, wiring harnesses, hard parts, hardware, etc. This was the day all of my Primary Drive components came in. I'll be running a Hayden primary chain tensioner and Screamin' Eagle style compensator sprocket. We'll see how it holds up. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to the Baker kit, but again, I just need the bike to run.

Also, for some strange reason, the connector on the end of the stator was missing. I had a spare so instead of trying my hand at crimping again (because we all know how well that turned out last time), I swapped in the spare.

Notes on this:
  • The side cover is a little toasty there... looks like someone didn't mount their rear cylinder pipe correctly. Doesn't surprise me at this point.
  • That chrome bit on the end of the kickstand is a nifty little piece I acquired from the interwebs. An adjustable kickstand stop. Unnecessary? Totally. Cool? I think so. 🤷‍♂️
  • Sourcing floorboard mounts is not the easiest thing to do. Sorry, sourcing AFFORDABLE mounts is not easy lol. Who'd'a thunk four obscure little brackets would command a $100+ price tag on the inter-webs. My impatience and my wallet run a fine line in my life. This time my wallet won the argument and my impatience took a back seat. I eventually found a pair for like $50 bucks...good enough.
  • Lastly, chrome oil filter...I know.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Opened up the cam chest just to see inside. I don't trust this machine as far as I can throw it. Found this:

Now, my old man and I had a talk about this and after I relay this all to you, I'd like to know your guys' thoughts as well. This is my case for why I think this motor might be okay after initially freaking out.

First, the twin cam motors with the hydraulic tensioner's are not known for these issues (loose chains) to my knowledge (could be wrong here, this is my first Harley, if I'm wrong, please correct me).
Second, there were no shavings or metal pieces in the oil pan when I drained it (I checked) or on the bottom of the right side crankcase.
Third, this is the only side cover to be in a wrinkle finish. The outer primary cover, derby cover, trans side cover (housing the clutch cable) are all powdercoated in gloss black. My thinking is, this cover may have come off a bike with a spring loaded tensioner that got too loose and allowed the chain to self-clearance on the inside of the cover. Given the nature of the machine, all the franken-parts it came with and all of the hackery going on, this wouldn't surprise me.
Now, this is a WHOLE lot of talking out of my rear-end and theorizing. If this is off-base or y'all have other ideas I'd really appreciate some feedback. Also, the only way to find out is to start it up!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Little side project here:
Left side caddy had a broken tab on it and for the amount of time and effort I'm putting into this machine, no motorcycle of mine will have a broken tab! Replaced it with a spare:
Old one:

Spare I had from one of the unused harnesses:

That same spare after a little scrub:

It's the little things... speaking of little things, I also replaced all of these broken rubber plugs because that was going to drive me nuts.

They had all been ripped off their respective connections and I will not stand for it. lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The caddy re-installed:

Yeah, that pipe is resting on the primary cover. Just wanted to see what it would look like put together like an actual motorcycle.
Speaking of which, this is what it looked like:
Notes on the photo to follow:
  • Grips have been installed
  • Solid risers have been installed via L.A. Choppers
  • Dash has been installed
  • Gas cap
  • Street Glide Dash (for now). - really just bought it for the ignition and the dash buttons. I'm gonna come up with a pretty slick solution for it, it'll just take time.
  • Those true dual Thunderheader's are gonna sound MEEAANNN. Is it in true "Performance Bagger" fashion? Nah. But it came with the bike and after all of the repairs, maintenance & parts buying, I'm not exactly in a place to be buying a $1K '2-into-1' exhaust.

More wiring:
The wiring harness coming from the main caddy towards the interconnect and all the handlbar wiring (basically any wiring that can be seen when the bike is all buttoned up) was done all done up in fancy black loom. It's the little things.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The wiring within the fairing (interconnect harness was done in orange & black loom.

Just realized I never addressed it, the speakers and stereo were the first thing to go.
If you're putting "West Coast Customs" brand speakers on your motorcycle, don't. Just don't.
There will eventually be a stereo in the bike, which I am excited to share with you guys when it happens, but it's a long way out. Essentially my line of thinking is:
  • De-ghetto-ize the bike.
  • Make every necessary function on the motorcycle work
  • Make all the niceties work
  • Add more niceties <- Suspension, Brakes, Stereo, mild motor work. [Suspension, Brakes, Chassis stiffening FIRST, mo' powah' afterwards.]
  • Paint & polish

1 - 20 of 81 Posts