Road Glide banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
If you've made it through that mess of an update, here's what I've been up to in the meantime:
Finally took the film off my cheapo windshield, put the weatherstripping along the edge of the new inner fairing and actually took the outer fairing out of the box to mount! I think it looks pretty sharp!
Before:

After:

So clean!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Some detail shots on the inside:

These little sticky zip tie anchors are instrumental for a clean install!

Both sides...:

And another for the headlight harness; there's quite a bit of length on this guy! ... innuendo much?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Apologies for the quality of this last photo, but the profile of this bike just looked too good to not take a picture of. Further down the road when I've sold some of these parts layin' around, taller suspension is going to make this bike look imposing!
- Stay tuned for more!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Good luck man

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
TSM came in yesterday. Have yet to try and make the bike work. Will report back with more progess.
My train of thought is that if this module doesn't solve my problem, I'll have to get a new (to me) ECM.
If THAT doesn't work, I'm not really sure where to go from there. I might end up having to get it towed over to a local Harley dealer and have them test the electronics and make sure everything is up to snuff. There are too many variables in play for me to be able to determine exactly what the issue is myself; without some sort of a diagnostic tool, that is. If only Harley's used OBII ports...lol

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
What’s the latest western_rider?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
ALRIGHT, I completely fell off the face of the earth. Some very large life changes urged a complete halt on the build.
Long story short, I dropped out of my master's program to become a full-time mechanic; finally doing what I love.
Needless to say, I have made zero progress...lol
Personal life aside, where we left off was that mysterious TSM module. Through some internet research, I learned that the ECM & TCM are married to each other and programmed to the VIN of the bike. Any funkiness or mismatching of any of that will result in being shut out of the bike.
Upon receiving that new (to me) TCM, I plugged it in and still had nothing from the bike.
That puts me at this point.

The plan of attack now is this:
A new (blank) ECU & TSM + labor for programming + price of aftermarket tuner (for thunderheader true duals & future upgrades) would put me at about the same price if I were to buy a Thundermax ECU outright & mate that to my TSM.
A Thundermax would give me an all-in-one ECU & tuner solution AND future proof me from having to go into Harley for programming & tuning (it's stubborn, but I really want to do this my way).

If THAT doesn't work then I'm really up a creek...haha

More to come...i'll download Tapatalk too so I can get back to you guys quicker, I've been conducting all correspondence from my laptop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ladies and gentlemen, we have lift off.
Story time: A guy from SD Harley Davidson came into the shop I work in looking for parts (Non-motorcycle related). My buddy working the counter in the store knows about my build so he comes and grabs me. The gentleman was kind enough to humor me and basically said that even with a bad ECU, my accessories should still come on, the bike just wouldn't turn over. [He also didn't have great things to say about Thundermax, which after some research, I've found similar claims online].
So, before I left for work yesterday, I was staring at the wiring diagram and realized the main ground for my interconnect harness wasn't grounded to anything...
So after work I came home, traced down where that ground was, quickly (and shoddily) connected it to my triple trees and voila! There was life out of my bike for the first time ever! Specifically, my gauges made buzzing noises.
I then ran a diagnostic. Oh boy. All the codes that popped up are as follows:

ECU:
PO263 Rear Injector Open/Low,

TSM:
b1121 - Turn Signal
b1122 - Turn Signal
U1301 - ECM Serial Data high
U1016 - Loss of ECM Serial Data

SPEEDO:
B1004
B1005
B1007
B1008
U1016

Tach: N/A

I couldn't find those b1004-1008 codes online, but everything else turned out to be relatively self explanatory. I had the bike apart so the front turn signals were disconnected, Rear Injector Open/low - not too sure on (didn't look into that yet), ECM Serial Data high - I THINK refers to the amount of codes I have here, loss of ECM data refers to the fact that the parts aren't married to each other? Not sure on that one.

But! There's life from the bike for the first time ever! I was on cloud 9 yesterday! More to come!

Up next: In looking at the details of my looming job with fresh eyes, I'm not satisfied with it. I'll be ripping it all out, and re-looming the entire harness front to back with a different product before it goes back in.
Stay tuned y'all! It's gettin' exciting!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I was able to find U1016 = Loss of ECM Serial Data. The B codes were not in the normal were harder to locate. I did a search and found these threads that might be helpful to you. The B codes are mentioned in the the threads. Great to see your progress and GL.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I recall getting the Loss of ECM Data code on occasion when I would switch tunes through the PowerVision.
Not sure how long codes like that get stored.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Love the build story and am waiting for next season to be released so I can binge watch. As I am approaching the time where I want to look at a project like this. My question is , why/how did you pick this bike to rebuild?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I was able to find U1016 = Loss of ECM Serial Data. The B codes were not in the normal were harder to locate. I did a search and found these threads that might be helpful to you. The B codes are mentioned in the the threads. Great to see your progress and GL.

Aha! That's very helpful.
Looks like:
B1004 = Fuel Level Sending Unit Low
B1005 = Fuel Level Sending Unit High/Open
B1007 = Ignition Line Overvoltage
B1008 = Trip Odometer Reset Switch Closed

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Love the build story and am waiting for next season to be released so I can binge watch. As I am approaching the time where I want to look at a project like this. My question is , why/how did you pick this bike to rebuild?
Glad to see others enjoying the process just as I am! More coming soon!
The reason for this purchase was three-fold: One, Roadglide's are the most badass touring frame model Harley makes (my personal favorite), two, the state that I bought the bike in was the only way that I was going to be able to afford this model of motorcycle and three, the perfect opportunity came up to purchase. lol
Right or wrong, Harley's represent a lot of things for me and the Roadglide sits at the top of that pile.
That being said, had I bought something outright for 10 grand, chances are, it'd be stock. It'd be clean, but stock. I'd then have to pour another 3-4 grand into it to make it what I want AND for all that work & money, the overall bike would still only be worth what I bought it for.
  • I bought the bike for $3500 with all those boxes of parts on the first page.
  • I've put about $3600 into it and I'm probably another 1k or so to it being rideable & reliable (the way I want it to be foundationally - wiring & misc. OCD sh*t).
  • By the time Phase 1 is done, I'll have ~$9,000 into it AND it'll be closer to being where I want it to be in the end.
Also, this way, anything I do to the bike can only make it better haha. Can't get any worse if it's already at rock bottom!

As for how: The Harley community on Instagram is insanely active - that's how I found the bike itself. I follow a page called: "harley_bagger_parts_trader". Through that page, I have received just about the best deals on quality parts anywhere...not to get all preachy/advertise-ey, but it's been a godsend to prevent the nickel & dime syndrome of smaller & hard to find parts.

That was longer than I intended, but I hope that answers your questions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thank you for your response. Very helpful as I plan my project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Thank you for your response. Very helpful as I plan my project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ah! And I forgot a very important piece!
2008 was the first year of EFI. This bike was just the perfect storm. EFI, frame improvements (over previous years), 96" motor. Okay, that's all.

Once you get yours goin', be sure to post up some seasons of your own for all of us to binge!

41 - 60 of 81 Posts