Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Within the last couple weeks I became aware that whoever owns the Buell name and rights now has 2 models available (Sport Bike and Naked Sport Bike) now, and has an adventure touring bike and a "Desert Racer" coming out. It appears that they design the bike in-house with parts that are manufactured by outside vendor and they assemble the bikes in Grand Rapid, MI. Their website is fairly simplistic and really doesn't give you a lot of details. You can go on there and "Make a reservation" (along with a small deposit) now for your very own Buell.

Anyone hear anything about their bikes? I'm pretty sure that Eric Buell has nothing to do with this re-birth of the company.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
I have been watching them for awhile I was hoping the would get a few more on the market.
Eric no long has anything to do with The name he, sold everything. He is working on electric bikes now.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Must be made for those metrosexuals who love their frappachini mocha strawberry latte.

But then again - maybe they made a Desert Racer. I dunno.

Glad I didn't get rid of my Buell Shirt. Now I can wear it again.... as long as it's a Desert Racer and not a Dessert Racer.

:)

.... has an adventure touring bike and a "Dessert Racer" coming out.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
The engine in these bikes are a product of Eric's work. Eric knew how to go fast. At the time HD did not want to go there.
Eric a great engineer . Lousy businessman.
If I ever have a chance to try that Super touring and the 1190SX I am on my way there.

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The next new model is their DR Racer - stands for "Dessert Racer". Apparently it's built specifically for sand/dune riding/races out west, because it has a stretched swing arm that looks like it would be right at home on a hill climb racer. They claim 185 HP !!! How absolutely insane is that. I hope they produce high quality products and do well, but somehow this has the look of an amateur operation that's selling the sizzle and not the steak.
Must be made for those metrosexuals who love their frappachini mocha strawberry latte.

But then again - maybe they made a Desert Racer. I dunno.

Glad I didn't get rid of my Buell Shirt. Now I can wear it again.... as long as it's a Desert Racer and not a Dessert Racer.

:)
You can see where my mind is focused! I'd always chose dessert over desert.

What makes no sense what-so-ever to me, is that as a struggling new bike manufacturer with two sport bike type models, why in the world would you make your 3rd model a Desert (or even Dessert) Racer? Why would you choose to build a 185 HP off road bike that's only good for sand dune/desert riding? No properly managed company in their right mind would build a new model that only has appeal to less than 1/10th of 1% of the market. Bizarre!

Reactions: NCPiper

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
To win big at racing takes money. And for a start up to make it big and stay there just is not going to happen in today's world.
I had always wish HD would embrace Eric and let his ideas go the direction it needed to. Had had a chance to build and sell bikes that would be running in the top of most racing. They passed on it..
HD had the 1125R in 2007 and let it slide away.

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The FXR Frame is a thing of beauty
I believe the article I read stated that they're still using the Buell gas in frame design. Not sure, I wasn't paying that much attention after hearing all about the 185 hp off road bike. I still wonder if the 185 hp was a typo, but then I looked and the 4th model - an adventure tourer - showed 185 also. Maybe Kenny Roberts is going to come out of retirement to do some desert racing!

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To win big at racing takes money. And for a start up to make it big and stay there just is not going to happen in today's world.
I had always wish HD would embrace Eric and let his ideas go the direction it needed to. Had had a chance to build and sell bikes that would be running in the top of most racing. They passed on it..
HD had the 1125R in 2007 and let it slide away.
(y) If they had put some REAL money into developing and broadening out that model line, they would have had the product line that would have attracted the next generations of riders to the Harley brand. Unfortunately the Concha loving decision makers at the top at that time couldn't stand anything that didn't look like something they'd already produced for the past 100 years. Remember the Oldsmobile? Different product - same issues. They kept building for their traditional senior customers until there weren't enough of them left alive to support enough sales to keep the doors open.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
They could have had the New Sporter S with a 1125R in 2007 if they were not so comfortable making money on what they already had.
Not sure how much HP Pan AM makes but I bet it comes up short of 185 the 1190 does.

Reactions: DanHappy

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
I thought I read 'gas in the frame' but perhaps it was oil, not sure.
They had fuel in the frame and they had oil in swing arm.
Current 1190 Hammer head and the 1190sx have fuel in the frame

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They could have had the New Sporter S with a 1125R in 2007 if they were not so comfortable making money on what they already had.
Not sure how much HP Pan AM makes but I bet it comes up short of 185 the 1190 does.
185 HP is Superbike/Moto GP territory. I can't imagine anyone actually needing/wanting that much HP - easy way to get in way over your head. And putting 185 hp in an off-road bike is just plain silly. When KR rode the Yammie TZ750 in a Champion dirt track frame, I believe it put out 90 HP.

Reactions: smitty901

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,450 Posts
They had a couple of prototypes at Bikeweek in Daytona just outside JP Cycles next to the Memphis hades booth on the day I went. They looked pretty cool in person, but they were not anything I would be in the market for, so I didn't look too hard at them.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
185 HP is Superbike/Moto GP territory. I can't imagine anyone actually needing/wanting that much HP - easy way to get in way over your head. And putting 185 hp in an off-road bike is just plain silly. When KR rode the Yammie TZ750 in a Champion dirt track frame, I believe it put out 90 HP.
Time moves on . Today with 90HP he might well be left behind . I have no idea what they run for HP in the dirt now.
I can see were gearing and control will really get to be a big deal with 185 HP. Get out in front hang on say good by.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts