Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
They had a couple of prototypes at Bikeweek in Daytona just outside JP Cycles next to the Memphis hades booth on the day I went. They looked pretty cool in person, but they were not anything I would be in the market for, so I didn't look too hard at them.
I was hoping someone that was there would get a good look at them.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
They had a couple of prototypes at Bikeweek in Daytona just outside JP Cycles next to the Memphis hades booth on the day I went. They looked pretty cool in person, but they were not anything I would be in the market for, so I didn't look too hard at them.
That's how I found out about Buell being in business again, and the new model info. It was mentioned in the Daytona coverage in the 'News' section of this month's Cycle Source magazine. Then I went to the Buell website.

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Time moves on . Today with 90HP he might well be left behind . I have no idea what they run for HP in the dirt now.
I can see were gearing and control will really get to be a big deal with 185 HP. Get out in front hang on say good by.
I was thinking more like .... Nail the throttle and kiss your ass good bye!

I recently read an article about the fact that the Paris-Dakar race, (I know it's no longer actually Paris-Dakar - it changes every year now) which is one of the fastest mostly off road race in the world, is now restricted to 450 cc max. Honda's says their race motor puts out 60 hp but will still do 115 on the fast sections. It's said that they can get 75 hp out of that motor but it wouldn't be reliable enough at an endurance type race like that one.

Reactions: smitty901

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
185 HP is Superbike/Moto GP territory. I can't imagine anyone actually needing/wanting that much HP - easy way to get in way over your head. And putting 185 hp in an off-road bike is just plain silly. When KR rode the Yammie TZ750 in a Champion dirt track frame, I believe it put out 90 HP.
True but "everybody" wants a huge HP motor. Its the USA way of doing things. Nobody wants to go to the local bike night and say they have less than 100 HP...

Will people lose control and get hurt? Probably. Will most people not even crack the throttle and see the full power? Probably not. Same as when people buy a sports car. They use it to go shopping and show off; but never what it is intended for.

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
True but "everybody" wants a huge HP motor. Its the USA way of doing things. Nobody wants to go to the local bike night and say they have less than 100 HP...

Will people lose control and get hurt? Probably. Will most people not even crack the throttle and see the full power? Probably not. Same as when people buy a sports car. They use it to go shopping and show off; but never what it is intended for.
I think you misunderstood what I said, or maybe I wasn't clear. I don't care how much HP their street bikes put out, I was simply commenting about their 3rd model - the Desert Racer. How many people out there are in the market for a 185 hp off road (no lights or other road legal equipment in the pics shown) bike? That much hp will likely shread the knobbies right off the rear tire. If the world's (or at least America's) greatest all around bike racer refused to ride the 90 HP TZ 750 flat tracker in another race because he said it would likely kill him, then I just don't see a 185 hp desert racer as being something a sane person would ride. I mean ride! Not just half throttle. Non of this matters one bit to me personally, I was also commenting on the management of the company, that a company who only has 2 models decides their 3rd model is the DR??? When you've spent 40 years in corporate sales and management and marketing management you tend to analyize a new company and it's products a little differently than most. I've read everything they have available, but still, I can't make the DR make sense. Maybe they're hoping to sell a garage full of them to every Sheik in the middle-east. They have lots of money and a huge sandbox to play in.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I was thinking more like .... Nail the throttle and kiss your ass good bye!

I recently read an article about the fact that the Paris-Dakar race, (I know it's no longer actually Paris-Dakar - it changes every year now) which is one of the fastest mostly off road race in the world, is now restricted to 450 cc max. Honda's says their race motor puts out 60 hp but will still do 115 on the fast sections. It's said that they can get 75 hp out of that motor but it wouldn't be reliable enough at an endurance type race like that one.
Well Harley sells you a kit to make your bike put out more power and maybe go faster.
Buell will sell you a kit to reduce HP and make it go slower.

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well Harley sells you a kit to make your bike put out more power and maybe go faster.
Buell will sell you a kit to reduce HP and make it go slower.
[/QUOTE

Quick change of subject - How's Payton doing these days? It's been quite a while since we've seen any pics of her or a story. All of us grandfathers on here who have emotionally adopted her as one our own, would be interested in getting an update, pics, or recent story about her.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Payton's surgery to put the two rods in her back went well. 12 full hours of surgery. She still has a curve but a lot better.
Doctors have cleared her to ride again and she has with her dog of course. No time line yet on when hip and lengthening then tendons in her legs will be. She graduated 8 th grade on time. She also finished her catechism and her requirements for communion .
We had to have Xrays on her back awhile back . I showed her them the pump she has in side and the bars and pins all show up. She was amazed at seeing it.
She is waiting for my shoulder to heal up a bit then she is going riding.
Interesting note. They sent her home with a lot of serious pain meds. She never took any. "that stuff is not good for you" she said.

Reactions: jstucker1976

·
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks Bob, all very positive. I'm thrilled for her that her surgery went so well. Isn't it amazing how much strength kids have when faced with serious illness, procedures, and physical therapy. All that inner strength and a lot of wisdom too. Tell her her "Uncle Fuzzball" is rooting for her full recovery and hopes she gets out for a ride with you sometime soon. (y)

Reactions: smitty901
21 - 29 of 29 Posts