Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think I'm about to give up on the the buffeting I have with my 2020 RGS, probably should've got another Street Glide. Thanks to a lot of advice from you fine folks, I've tried many different things, but sadly none of them truly worked perfectly. I've now tried lowers, wind deflectors, triple clamp deflector, stock wind shield, LRS 12' windscreen, 9", 12", 14", and 15" Klock Werks screens, and a 12" Madstad. Although I hate the look of the Madstad, it works the best out of all the before mentioned things. However, it does not take it away completely, just makes it bearable. For those who don't understand buffeting, its not a wind issue, its the vibration that comes with turbulent air. I know I'm sensitive to it, but because I was able to solve it with my street glide I feel like I should be able to solve it with my RGS but am pretty frustrated at this point. With the weather getting nicer I look forward to some more riding but not if this can't be solved. Last ditch effort, does anyone have any other suggestions that has worked for them? Thanks again for any advice.

·
Registered
570 Posts
if you have issues with buffeting with a roadglide i can't see how you can ever fix it with a streetglide. The only difference is ur head is closer to the windshield on a SG. How tall are you, how high are you in the seat. Have you tried getting lower What kind of helmet are you wearing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My first RG is sitting in the garage....un-ridden as of yet.

But have rented quite a few on vacations.....various windshields...some with lowers...some without.....don't know about other deflectors......but, have yet to have one with any significant buffeting....My FLHXSE3 required 3 different windshields depending to curtail the buffeting to an acceptable level on TP on or off.....which seat.....and lowers on or off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wear a half helment 95% of the time. I have 3 different ones and they all produce slightly different results. The cheapest, low profile one, creates the most buffeting, while my Harley Davidson, mushroom head one, provides the most relief. However, none take it away totally. I am 5'11" but have a long torso, or so I'm told. As mentioned, I have tried many different screens and deflectors but none completely take it away. I have the stock Boom stereo system, with fairing speakers turned all the way up and can not hear them at 65+ mph. I do wear custom made ear plugs every time I ride but should still be able to hear the speakers at 65 mph. Its the wind and buffeting that does not allow for the stereo to be heard. My local dealership is a demo agent for Klock Werks so luckily I was able to try a few of them without having to waste money again. I have tried sitting lower in the seat with no real difference but do notice a difference if I lean forward and duck completely behind a screen. It does feel like a lot of air is hitting directly on my ears and seems to be coming from the crash bar opening but its hard to tell. I had the lowers on for a short while and did not seems to make a positive difference. I'm stumped on this one. I agree with the comment about the Street Glide not being better but I did have a 2013 Street glide and was finally able to completlely solve the problem with a 12" LRS shield and lower fairings. That combo has not worked for the RGS.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This might look stupid going down the road, but have you tried to tape small pieces of string/yarn at different locations to determine air flow patterns? It might help you locate the source.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This might look stupid going down the road, but have you tried to tape small pieces of string/yarn at different locations to determine air flow patterns? It might help you locate the source.
There are no stupid suggestions at this point! Stupid is having a $30K bike sitting in the shop due to not being able to ride it!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I’m 6 feet and don’t have this issue, I also wear a full face helmet... I hope you get this figured out soon my friend... It would drive me crazy too..

·
Registered
2020Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
86 Posts
I am 5'10". I rode a Rushmore Street Glide for 4 years and put 48000 miles on it. I NEVER completely eliminated the buffeting with a full face helmet. I could ride with a Crazy Al's half helmet and the buffeting was not there up to 65 mph, any thing above that and it would get worse but never unbearable. With a full face helmet the buffeting would be unbearable over 65mph for any amount of time. More then once on a long trip I would be sick to my stomach on the street glide with the full face. I changed and added every remedy you can think of and nothing really helped.
Then I switched to a Road Glide. I get more wind from the road glide. But it seems to me to be cleaner air, less buffeting. I don't get the head buzzing buffeting no matter which helmet I wear. Running the vents open or closed doesn't seem to matter. The only change I have made to the road glide is adding an 11" Freedom Shields wind shield. I can hear the music up to 65 or 70 mph, then it goes away from the most part. Again, helmet doesn't matter.
Maybe a different helmet?
I hope this helps some what. If not please keep coming back and asking questions. I hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
2020 Limited.
340 Posts
I rode over 200,000 miles on batwings in 10 years, got used to pushing a sheet of plywood down the road after a while. Learned to stay away from "dirty" air so I wasn't buffeted around. Switched to the RG in '15 the first Rushmore bike, once i learned to keep the vents open unless it was raining wind is not a big deal. The new 2020 and stock windshield was uncomfortable, wind noise etc. Changed out the windshield and now more like my '15. I hope you get it figured out, it does take some getting used to having the wind come from under the faring, perhaps that is what is bothering you?

·
Registered
2020 RGL
283 Posts
Have you tried riding without a helmet? (just to make sure its not the helmets)
On my 2014 street glide I had buffering over 40 mph (like riding with the rear widows down in the car)
drove me nuts I ditched the helmet and it went away. So then I had to find the right helmet took awhile
but it all work out. Now with my new road glide I haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If the wind on your ears is bad I would highly suggest a touring shield from Freedom Shields. I tried one and it provided the quietest experience for me. Unfortunately I got the wrong size and sent it back. I’m 5’11” also (32 inseam) and am mostly happy with my KW 12 inch pro tour. It’s a compromise between comfort and looks. For me it’s the best of both.
p.s. my 07 street glide was the worst bike I ever owned for wind buffeting. Even with fairing wings and lowers, the wind would come up from in between those and drive me crazy.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
My bike is a 08 but I found that most of the dirty air comes from under the fairing and comes up from the fuel tank. Concentrate on the lower half of the bike

Reactions: Jeff_S

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I forgot to mention that I’ve been riding with my headlight vents closed for the last month and it’s been a pleasant experience. Less turbulence and a quieter ride. As soon as it gets hot I’m sure I will open them back up though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Memphis shades, klockwerks isn't an equal. Got mine installed, 6.5" and can wear a baseball hat without getting it knocked off.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You mentioned that you tried a bunch of shields. All of them are similar heights. Did you try higher? Why I ask is, I am around your same height, and use a 14" Madstad up all the way in cold weather and can see over it clearly. With it down to around 12" would be, I get a little wind turbulence, and allot more when it's down all the way. Pretty much like not having a shield on. I think you might need to go taller shield. You keep saying you tried shields, but they are all around the same. So it makes sense why they all didn't work.

I do feel some aire coming up in front of the tank and underneath the fairing. The lowers would not stop that. They sell those little plastic flaps that fit in this area, but I never tried them. I take that wind as a thing I need to deal with for riding a bike. If I didn't want any wind, I would take my car and get rid of the bike.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
802 Posts
I would contact Freedom Shields with your dilemma, great customer service. A taller tour version may be the ticket. If you don't mind looking through it, a taller height will raise the airflow over your head. I've been happy with my sport touring model, quality made product.

ROAD GLIDE® Windshields 2015-present – Freedom Shields

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Well, I think I'm about to give up on the the buffeting I have with my 2020 RGS, probably should've got another Street Glide. Thanks to a lot of advice from you fine folks, I've tried many different things, but sadly none of them truly worked perfectly. I've now tried lowers, wind deflectors, triple clamp deflector, stock wind shield, LRS 12' windscreen, 9", 12", 14", and 15" Klock Werks screens, and a 12" Madstad. Although I hate the look of the Madstad, it works the best out of all the before mentioned things. However, it does not take it away completely, just makes it bearable. For those who don't understand buffeting, its not a wind issue, its the vibration that comes with turbulent air. I know I'm sensitive to it, but because I was able to solve it with my street glide I feel like I should be able to solve it with my RGS but am pretty frustrated at this point. With the weather getting nicer I look forward to some more riding but not if this can't be solved. Last ditch effort, does anyone have any other suggestions that has worked for them? Thanks again for any advice.
Where you at? I have a 19 inch H-D shield you can try but you’ll be looking through it. Blocks all the wind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll clarify a few things. First, I have tried many shields that were similar in height but have tried others, shorter and taller. I've tried everything from stock, 5", all the way up to 15", which I just tried yesterday. I did notice a difference with the 15" but it was just about too tall to look over and definetely have to look through it for close up vision. I definetely don't like the idea of looking through a shield but will if I can't find another sollution. I am thinking of ordering a different screen for my madstad and maybe try the 14". I'm just getting tired of dumping money on things that were unsuccessful. I would also say that with the madstad, currently 12", the buffeting is somewhat improved but there is a lot of wind hitting me right at the ears. This wind seems to be to be coming from under the fairing like some of you have suggested. I have the wind deflectors that mount to the crash bars and tank mounts, as well as the triple clamp deflector. Sounds like there is no good fix for the air coming underneath the fairing and in front of tank? While I understand that some people love to be sarcastic and offer suggestions to ditch the bike and drive a car if I can't handle wind, I also realize that they have never experienced the buffeting, otherwise they would be a bit more helpful. I have been riding motorcycles for 45 years so its not like I can't handle a little wind. Thanks again for the positive suggestions.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts