Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll clarify a few things. First, I have tried many shields that were similar in height but have tried others, shorter and taller. I've tried everything from stock, 5", all the way up to 15", which I just tried yesterday. I did notice a difference with the 15" but it was just about too tall to look over and definetely have to look through it for close up vision. I definetely don't like the idea of looking through a shield but will if I can't find another sollution. I am thinking of ordering a different screen for my madstad and maybe try the 14". I'm just getting tired of dumping money on things that were unsuccessful. I would also say that with the madstad, currently 12", the buffeting is somewhat improved but there is a lot of wind hitting me right at the ears. This wind seems to be to be coming from under the fairing like some of you have suggested. I have the wind deflectors that mount to the crash bars and tank mounts, as well as the triple clamp deflector. Sounds like there is no good fix for the air coming underneath the fairing and in front of tank? While I understand that some people love to be sarcastic and offer suggestions to ditch the bike and drive a car if I can't handle wind, I also realize that they have never experienced the buffeting, otherwise they would be a bit more helpful. I have been riding motorcycles for 45 years so its not like I can't handle a little wind. Thanks again for the positive suggestions.
If the line about getting a car was toward me, I didn't mean it that way at all! So if so I do apologize.

All I meant was, with a bike you will have wind hitting you. There isn't anyway to 100% stop it. Clean air is totally different than turbulent air as we all know.

Maybe we all, collectively, need to design some kind of wind deflector that works under the fairing to stop or slow the wind coming up that route. Like those crash bar types but bigger.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I'm 6'0" with the 14" madstad - and it's great. I do have one helmet that will pick up some buffeting, but I truly can ride 70mph-ish highway speeds w/ a baseball cap and hear music well. Hate to suggest yet another shield, but the larger madstad might be a solution. You might be able to find one used to try, or just buy the shield w/o the hardware from madstad do save some money. I hope you can find your solution. For me this is a super civilized bike and ride. Lot's of great miles on it. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
a few years back, i saw a riding vest that had a vent flap on the front. it would catch the wind that was coming up from under the tank. looked around a bit, but don't seem to be able to find it again.

you can tell if that is what is bothering you very easily. while riding down the road, take one of your arms and hold it up against your chest, parallel to the ground. if the wind stops, it's coming from underneath and that is where you'll need to concentrate your efforts. if that is it, it wouldn't matter how large a windscreen you put on, it won't help.

Reactions: Shadow1

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am big into eliminating buffeting / excessive wind because of the kind of riding I often do.
I just traded an '18 Special for a '20 Special. I took the Harley deflectors (part # 57000510) off of the old bike and threw them on the bench in my garage. I ordered lowers for the new bike the day I picked it up.
Rode the old bike 140 highway miles to the dealer for trade and changed the windshields over in the parking lot (Freedom Sport T).
Rode the new one home without lowers or the deflectors, and was like: WTF!!! The difference was night and day.
Next Day for shits and Gigs I just threw the deflectors on without lowers... I was pretty surprised how well they worked on their own.
Couple weeks later I got the lowers and was back to happy.
My point: I felt the difference with the lowers and deflectors was quite dramatic. I wouldn't be riding my RGS without them.
I've also owned my share of Bats that I have racked some miles up on. They never worked nearly as well for me as the Shark does at managing wind.
Hope this story helps You somehow.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll clarify a few things. First, I have tried many shields that were similar in height but have tried others, shorter and taller. I've tried everything from stock, 5", all the way up to 15", which I just tried yesterday. I did notice a difference with the 15" but it was just about too tall to look over and definetely have to look through it for close up vision. I definetely don't like the idea of looking through a shield but will if I can't find another sollution. I am thinking of ordering a different screen for my madstad and maybe try the 14". I'm just getting tired of dumping money on things that were unsuccessful. I would also say that with the madstad, currently 12", the buffeting is somewhat improved but there is a lot of wind hitting me right at the ears. This wind seems to be to be coming from under the fairing like some of you have suggested. I have the wind deflectors that mount to the crash bars and tank mounts, as well as the triple clamp deflector. Sounds like there is no good fix for the air coming underneath the fairing and in front of tank? While I understand that some people love to be sarcastic and offer suggestions to ditch the bike and drive a car if I can't handle wind, I also realize that they have never experienced the buffeting, otherwise they would be a bit more helpful. I have been riding motorcycles for 45 years so its not like I can't handle a little wind. Thanks again for the positive suggestions.

Have you tried Memphis shades? I wasn't so sure myself at first but it's a huge difference. I'm shorter then you but I know guys that are 6' riding with the 9" glass and happy as clams.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I came from a 17 SGS, and didn't really have buffeting issues but somewhere along the line of dumping thousands into it, I acquired a pretty good wobble. Initially the bike would stay upright on it's own at speed but my guess is after my lower install, must of been slightly off from one side to the other so it would not track straight and would get a wobble if I pulled my hands off the bars at speed, anyway, was curious if you noticed this buffeting from day one or something that acquired over time with you mods. Somebody mentioned, just curious, if you test ride a road glide limited if you get the same thing. I mean a bike is a bike, only difference is how it's setup. If you are riding with the same gear, as in your helmet on both bikes, seat will make some difference too with putting you higher or lower and fwd and back some. I did the straight bar across my nose deal and found out a 9.5 Klockwerks was perfect for me, but I'm only 5ft 8in, so I wanted to see how accurate that really was, so when I am riding down the road I bring my hand up to my side and it glides easily up until I get to about the top of my helmet then the wind grabs my hand, which is about perfect to put air into my helmet vents. On my sgs I had too tall of a windscreen, while no buffeting the wind was about 3 inches above my helmet so I was never getting any airflow in my helmet, which sucked.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Every vehicle I've driven at speed has wind buffeting.
The car windows down, a 60 mph ride make a similar buffet?
This is resonance. That inaudible dog whistle smaller than a soda straw, the audible referee's whistle a few times larger.
The blowing a cross an open coke bottle bordering on bass.
Now you're in a car 1500 times the volume of a coke bottle. That music is now subsonic whop whop whop.

In power plants, items as large as 24 inch steam lines develop resonances that can prematurely fatigue welds.
So we do what the car manufacturers do to reduce resonance. We add chambers known as Helmholtz resonators, appearing as useless pipe stubs designed to change the harmonics away from the length of pipe resonant frequencies.

If this is resonance from wind, you're going to need better ear plugs. Just my humble opinion.

2009 Corvette intake Helmholtz resonator. . . makes smoother acceleration with turbulent intake air flow. Also reduces noise. Pulses go there and bounce around and cancel each other out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the suggestions, I feel like I'm getting closer to a solution. I decided to put my lower fairings back on and ordered a 14" screen for the madstad and will see if that makes a difference. As mentioned, I have the Harley wind deflectors, but all they seem to do is channel the air from underneath the fairing and in front of the tank higher on chest or face. I totally understand that the if it is air coming from under the tank that is bothering me then changing the windscreen won't do anything to help. I think its a combination of problems that I am having: there is the buffeting problem and there is the problem of air being directed straight on my ears. I think the buffeting is caused by something to do with windscreen set up and the air on ears is from underneath fairing/tank. With the Madstad and lowers, the buffeting is improved and probably bearable but its still louder than I think it could be because of the air on the ears. It may be unsolvable but nice to see that I am certainly not the only person with these issues. It's just strange how so many people with the same build and set up don't experience any issues at all.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's just strange how so many people with the same build and set up don't experience any issues at all.
Differing levels of sensitivity to the input, and the fact that some of us are straight-up deaf at certain - sometimes handy... - frequencies.

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
@layduke15 Make sure You set the angle correctly with "The Madstad" otherwise You will definitely get a lot more "Bad Air" in Your face.
Best Of Luck!
Mike U.

·
Registered
2020 RGL
290 Posts
It's just strange how so many people with the same build and set up don't experience any issues at all.
We are all different for sure. Hell after working 30 years in a power plant I can't hear shit anymore.
I'm glad you feel like your getting closer on figuring it out. Good luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did not pick up in your OP noise, as in sounds like you are finding the wind noise unbearable, I just honed in on buffeting. As to the noise, I wear a full face helmet, and an expensive one at that a Shoei Neotec, which does a good job of quieting the outside noise, but about half the time I wear custom molded ear monitors so I can have a conversation or listen to music, gps, and do not get the outside noise. In my experience this is the ultimate in reducing noise, in fact I have to turn down my bluetooth device it is such a custom fit environment that cranking my music would make me deaf. I don't know how people ride on a regular basis, with just sunglasses on, if you are going to more than just the pitstop 2 miles from home. Even a minimal brain bucket on the highway does squat for your ears, I guess you would have to wear earplugs in that situation.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I feel like I'm getting closer to a solution. I decided to put my lower fairings back on and ordered a 14" screen for the madstad and will see if that makes a difference.
Like UT Larry and Mike U post above - be SURE you adjust your madstad. Makes a BIG difference. I usually make about 3 or 4 passes down the interstate to get mine set, then really never touch it again. That's not just the height, but to me more importantly the angle. Mine is roughly the same angle as the base plate. There was an old thread here several years ago where everyone posted their lean angles . .. . might be useful if you can find it . .. but, basically you need to do your own tests to find the sweet spot.

I have a feeling there is an "Ah-ha" moment in your future . . . ... 🤞 :cool:

·
Registered
2020 H-D FLTRX Road Glide
985 Posts
Also you can try GADS. Deflectors similar to the H-D ones you have but also has a third deflector for between the forks, which I think I sold separately.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lowers are generally the fix. I've had three RG's and that was always the culprit. I have virtually no buffeting and I leave my vents open. Closing them usually cause more buffeting. Short to tall shields never made a difference for me. Heavy Buffeting usually comes from below the fairing unless you have the stock oem shield. Not sure why you're not able remedy the problem. Hope you solve the mystery.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Like UT Larry and Mike U post above - be SURE you adjust your madstad. Makes a BIG difference. I usually make about 3 or 4 passes down the interstate to get mine set, then really never touch it again. That's not just the height, but to me more importantly the angle. Mine is roughly the same angle as the base plate. There was an old thread here several years ago where everyone posted their lean angles . .. . might be useful if you can find it . .. but, basically you need to do your own tests to find the sweet spot.

I have a feeling there is an "Ah-ha" moment in your future . . . ... :cool:
Yea, there is a sweet spot for the angle, and allot of bad ones. When you find it it definitely is a "a ha" moment!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
I hear ya mate, there is a big difference between wind and bufferting. The bufferting that I suffered on my 2018 RGS was to the point I couldn't read road signs on the freeway. I too went thru multiple screens and I have the wind deflectors that mount to the crash bar and the lower triple tree wind deflector.. made zero difference at all.. I have a LRS 12" if I ride with my shoei neotec ff helmet with either the shield down and even with the sunvisor down I will still get bufferting .. a open face helmet I don't get any at all now but I only do my short rides into town ect with that helmet.. this leads me to think that the wind is coming up inside the helmet the cannot escape causing that unmanageable bufferting..I must also have all my vents open otherwise it's unbearable again..oh and I have also tried the soft clip on lower that go around the crash bar.. not one of those wind deflectors have made any difference.
I have seen some adjustable side wind deflectors and have no idea if that would help..
The weird thing is my brother and I are the same height but I sit taller on my bike than he does ..when he rides my bike he tells me that there is no bufferting at all...

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
I forgot to mention that I’ve been riding with my headlight vents closed for the last month and it’s been a pleasant experience. Less turbulence and a quieter ride. As soon as it gets hot I’m sure I will open them back up though.
I'm the opossite. With my vents closed I get more wind. Guessing it's just stronger with less pathways. Open year round for me. Even in winter.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
I can't remember what year the vent closures got deleted. As I was reading this thread it made me think to the first article I read about the Rushmore Roadglide. The fairing design gave them a bunch of issues with buffeting. The vents were specifically placed to reduce the buffeting by equalizing the pressure behind the windscreen. If your vents are closed try opening them. Sounds stupid but, here is the original article.

Attachments

Reactions: Oclaf
21 - 40 of 60 Posts