Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I think I'm about to give up on the the buffeting I have with my 2020 RGS, probably should've got another Street Glide. Thanks to a lot of advice from you fine folks, I've tried many different things, but sadly none of them truly worked perfectly. I've now tried lowers, wind deflectors, triple clamp deflector, stock wind shield, LRS 12' windscreen, 9", 12", 14", and 15" Klock Werks screens, and a 12" Madstad. Although I hate the look of the Madstad, it works the best out of all the before mentioned things. However, it does not take it away completely, just makes it bearable. For those who don't understand buffeting, its not a wind issue, its the vibration that comes with turbulent air. I know I'm sensitive to it, but because I was able to solve it with my street glide I feel like I should be able to solve it with my RGS but am pretty frustrated at this point. With the weather getting nicer I look forward to some more riding but not if this can't be solved. Last ditch effort, does anyone have any other suggestions that has worked for them? Thanks again for any advice.
I have zero buffeting on my 19 rgs. 6'2". Half helmet. Vents closed or open. 12" klock works sport i think it's called. I run lowers except in the hottest months.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll clarify a few things. First, I have tried many shields that were similar in height but have tried others, shorter and taller. I've tried everything from stock, 5", all the way up to 15", which I just tried yesterday. I did notice a difference with the 15" but it was just about too tall to look over and definetely have to look through it for close up vision. I definetely don't like the idea of looking through a shield but will if I can't find another sollution. I am thinking of ordering a different screen for my madstad and maybe try the 14". I'm just getting tired of dumping money on things that were unsuccessful. I would also say that with the madstad, currently 12", the buffeting is somewhat improved but there is a lot of wind hitting me right at the ears. This wind seems to be to be coming from under the fairing like some of you have suggested. I have the wind deflectors that mount to the crash bars and tank mounts, as well as the triple clamp deflector. Sounds like there is no good fix for the air coming underneath the fairing and in front of tank? While I understand that some people love to be sarcastic and offer suggestions to ditch the bike and drive a car if I can't handle wind, I also realize that they have never experienced the buffeting, otherwise they would be a bit more helpful. I have been riding motorcycles for 45 years so its not like I can't handle a little wind. Thanks again for the positive suggestions.
Ditch those wind deflectors that connect to the crash bars. I bought, put on for one ride and removed. They force alot of air up in your face and around your head.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well, I think I'm about to give up on the the buffeting I have with my 2020 RGS, probably should've got another Street Glide. Thanks to a lot of advice from you fine folks, I've tried many different things, but sadly none of them truly worked perfectly. I've now tried lowers, wind deflectors, triple clamp deflector, stock wind shield, LRS 12' windscreen, 9", 12", 14", and 15" Klock Werks screens, and a 12" Madstad. Although I hate the look of the Madstad, it works the best out of all the before mentioned things. However, it does not take it away completely, just makes it bearable. For those who don't understand buffeting, its not a wind issue, its the vibration that comes with turbulent air. I know I'm sensitive to it, but because I was able to solve it with my street glide I feel like I should be able to solve it with my RGS but am pretty frustrated at this point. With the weather getting nicer I look forward to some more riding but not if this can't be solved. Last ditch effort, does anyone have any other suggestions that has worked for them? Thanks again for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the line about getting a car was toward me, I didn't mean it that way at all! So if so I do apologize.

All I meant was, with a bike you will have wind hitting you. There isn't anyway to 100% stop it. Clean air is totally different than turbulent air as we all know.

Maybe we all, collectively, need to design some kind of wind deflector that works under the fairing to stop or slow the wind coming up that route. Like those crash bar types but bigger.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
LRS 16 inch fixed mine

·
Administrator
2,714 Posts
I started with a RG ... went to a batwing .... then back to RG and now Im back with a batwing. It's personal preference but I went back to the batwing because I felt like it did a much better job at handling the air around the rider. I have ZERO buffeting with my 2020 Ultra Limited.

·
Registered
2019 fltru
733 Posts
i guess i don't recognize buffeting-i use a modular flip helmet-presently using longride shield-used a madstat for 9 years-with the new ride have not felt the need to spend more money-perhaps i view this a little differently-i am riding,doesn't matter where or when or what the temp is-life is to short ,having been diagnosed with als i welcome buffeting or rain or wind

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just putting another vote in for 2 things.
Try the 14” and make sure you try different angles for your Madstad.
I run mine a little upright as opposed to parallel to the baseplate.
I’m 6’0” and have definitely felt the buffeting with my full face shoei.
My 12” Madstad works well when I’m using my le pera outcast daddy long legs seat (sits me down just a tad lower).
I can just ride along and move my hand around to feel where the air is not smooth.
I think mark from Madstad was saying the real culprit is the big low pressure area behind the windshield. It essentially creates a vacuum that pulls air into the bubble.
In other words, I don’t know if deflectors to push air away are the key. Maybe it’s more about getting the airflow to travel smoothly (laminar air). So- just try to experiment with the Madstad angle and how big of a gap you start with at the bottom.
Call Madstad if you want some pointers or pictures.
Hang in there. On my 12 CVO RG, my helmet would shake my head enough to blur vision too. I get it.

on a side note, I know we all talk a lot about our wind management. I wish we knew a guy at an aerospace company that’d let us go use the wind tunnel with the little streams of smoke to show turbulence. Really a little surprised after all this time that we don’t have video of the air flow.
Anybody work for Boeing? :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed a National Cycle VStream dark tint N20433 on my 2019 RG and really like it:
And also installed the H-D Wind Deflector Kit 57000510, and Motorcycle Vent Screens (sides only): Road Glide Side SPLITSCREENS – Gloss Black – Motorcycle Vent Screens STORE – Motorcycle Vent Screens for HARLEY ROAD GLIDE

I am 5" 9" with 30" inseam, and no buffeting, and my gal says it is a lot better than the OEM windshield that had no buffeting but a pretty good blast of air on the highway. I like the look of the VStream and it really works for me. Had a Clearview Shields Sport and did not like it, too much buffeting, I am keeping the VStream. No buffeting with it and feel I could even take my glasses off (although I would not without), it's that good.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
An image from the National Cycle web page, just following up from my earlier post 1617861968953.png

·
Registered
6 Posts
Solution: Get an RGL with a Freedom shield, detachable trunk, and a more streamlined seat for better looks when the trunk is off! Yeah, with the lowers and radiators I look like a pregnant elephant from straight on, but I can put away the miles with no upper body fatigue from buffeting or wind no matter which helmet I wear. The 14" Freedom windshield made a huge difference, and with Stage 1 speakers and stock amp I can hear my tunes cruising at 80 on the interstate with earplugs in. At highway speeds I can feel the airstream just outside both of my hands and arms, but no buffeting of my head. Just a pleasant and easy breeze from the center vent. And there are some other advantages if you do some additional upgrades. No heat from the exhaust with a free flow exhaust (cats are in the mufflers, not the pipes), passenger heat management is great with the mid-frame downward facing cooling fan, and a stage 2 torque kit, heavy breather, and wide band O2 sensors offset the heavier weight of the RGL. The downside is that you trade the great looks of an RGS for the improved highway comfort of an RGL, you can't use aftermarket mufflers due to the 2.25" pipe diameter (no one makes them- but you can easily remove the secondary baffles for more sound- ask me how I know), and you have to spend more $$$. Just depends on your priorities.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can feel your pain with the buffeting issue. I used a Madstad on my '06 and '12 RGs. I loved it. I could have my quiet air pocket for putting on highway miles and lower it for more air when I wanted. When I got my '16 Ultra I went with a Freedom Shields. With the top vent open I get the same effect as the Madstad on the old fairing style. With it closed I get the buffeting. The crash bar mount wind deflectors on the old style gave a good air flow, but the new style came off and will not go back on. All 3 bikes had lowers. Good luck search.

·
Registered
9 Posts
. I am thinking of ordering a different screen for my madstad and maybe try the 14". I'm just getting tired of dumping money on things that were unsuccessful. I would also say that with the madstad, currently 12", the buffeting is somewhat improved but there is a lot of wind hitting me right at the ears.
I'm 6'5", long torso, riding a 2020 RG Limited. The stock windshield and I did not get along either. I switched to the Madstad 14", and also put on the TallBoy seat which moves you down and back. I can now listed to my radio at illegal interstate speeds, with way less buffeting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting reading about buffeting. Before I bought my first Harley I was use to riding Goldwings and Kawasaki Voyagers. 10 years ago I decided to buy a Harley to experience it. I bought a 2002 FLHT basically stock. Batwing handlebar mount fairing. Terrible buffeting, I could not see how anyone could ride and be happy with this. I read all the forums suggesting different size windshields, different seats. I bought and tried a number of them with no success. Then I added the fairing side deflectors, not the adjustable ones. It made a tremendous difference, the buffeting was gone. Finally. Then I decided I wanted a frame mounted fairing and bought s 2007 RG. Again the same problems Tried then all, same as above. Then I bought some full lower fairings, ta da the buffeting was gone. Big difference. I added the 2010 fairing frame mount that allowed me to buy the lowers that were made for the Electra Glides and not use the lowers that were offered for the 2007 RG. The RG doesn't have the fairing side mounted deflectors like I put on the batwing fairing.
Hope this helps some

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
OP, thinking off the wall...

Did you try moving back or forward on the seat? Maybe you just need to move to a different place a little on the seat? Know what I mean?

·
Registered
249 Posts
As it relates to motorcycles. buffeting is a turbulence phenomena caused by high(er) velocity air bursts which happen in repetitive ways. A motorcycle going at speed creates turbulence simply by displacing air in an uneven pattern. From the highway up, every part of the bike and rider is having some effect on air movement. Air is pushed up, down and aside, while constant (but irregular) negative-pressure voids exists behind the fairing, windshield, rider, passenger, and so on. Rapidly moving air tries to rush in and fill these voids, but also encounters secondary resistance from different flows of air moving in oblique angles. Air literally deflects air and interrupts smooth flow. This is going on all over the bike and rider, though in varying degrees and not necessarily always troublesome. When you mix multiple high velocity air movements (with different speeds, angles and so on) you get 'buffeting'.

The fairing and windshield displace the most air, hence they create more turbulence and potential buffeting. We are simply trying to escape that by using angles and sizes and devices to keep the faster air and turbulence away from us. It still exists, but doesn't matter if we don't feel it. Think of the different turbulence caused by a passing pickup vs a semi. If you follow the semi closely (drafting) it feels like you're getting sucked down the road....until you drop back far enough and encounter the common buffeting and gusting caused by air rushing in from the sides.

You can only do so much to alleviate buffeting, and what works for me doesn't work for all. We've basically created a problem....by using a fairing and windshield....that we have to solve. The guys riding 'open' bikes without wind protection essentially never experience buffeting from their rides, unless it's secondary to traffic or maybe environmental wind.

Sorry for the long post. I'm definitely not a Poindexter dude, but I've been a physics buff forever.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a madstad mount, but cut down a lrs shield and match drilled the mounting holes. The little flip up kicks the air up over my head. I ride with the faring vents open year round, and can smoke a cigar and never loose an ash. '17 road glide ultra. 6'6" tall. Another idea...

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

41 - 58 of 58 Posts