Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm trying to replace the headers on my bike and came across some bolts that aren't budging. There are 4 of them (1 for each muffler, 1 behind the rear cylinder and 1 just under the transmission right side), the 9/16th bolts that hold the mufflers onto the headers and the headers to the frame. The look to be coated with something --I hope it's not welded or something. I've given them a pretty good go and even tapped on them with a hammer. Next step is the breaker bar but I'm worried about, well, breaking something. Are there any tips, tricks or sage advise for removing these buggers?

Many thanks,
-D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Breaker bar did the trick and didn't break anything else :D.

Maneuvering the headers around the foot boards will be another trick... perhaps I should just take of the board on that side.

-D

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
Take the foot board off of the rear brake side. Much easier to deal with your new header setup this way.

Highly recommend a center stand or wheel chock if you don't have a lift or motorcycle jack.

This job is easy when you follow directions of your chosen exhaust co. Be sure to check the header gaskets and torque the header nuts in the proper sequence.

After riding for a 100 miles, re check the header bolt torque cold and then re check them again after about 500 miles, again cold.

Good Luck

Troy

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hello all,

I'm trying to replace the headers on my bike and came across some bolts that aren't budging. There are 4 of them (1 for each muffler, 1 behind the rear cylinder and 1 just under the transmission right side), the 9/16th bolts that hold the mufflers onto the headers and the headers to the frame. The look to be coated with something --I hope it's not welded or something. I've given them a pretty good go and even tapped on them with a hammer. Next step is the breaker bar but I'm worried about, well, breaking something. Are there any tips, tricks or sage advise for removing these buggers?

Many thanks,
-D
Heat is a wonderful thing on stuck bolts and nuts. If you don't have access to heat or don't feel comfortable using it get some good penetrating fluid and soak liberally. allow to set for 20-30 minutes and try it again.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
When I had to take mine off to get to clutch cable I used two wrenches, using second attaché to first for extra leverage, that was at frame mount and they did have lock tight on dogbone. Head I'd use care

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all the words of wisdom! Got new exhaust on and about to snug everything down. Looking forward to getting her back on the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts