Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 rg with stock 103 except for Andrews 48 cams, heavy breather intake and freedom performance true duals, running tts master tune.

Plan in action is a set of 103+ se heads with mild .005 decking, 10.5 pistons and a set of injectors.

Basically it will be a stage 4 with Andrews 48 cams from what I gather.

questions i have are:
1. will the increased compression and head upgrade provide a sufficient upgrade to warrant the price-tag.
2. will the 48 cams be enuf for that build or do I need to look at the woods 777 ect. I run considerably high rpms 3000-5500 most of the time and am looking for great acceleration as well as rideability.
3. will the stock tb with larger injectors allow enuff air to release the potential of the heads?

any ideas/ comments welcome, Im tired of throwing money at this to be disappointed in the power. current dyno is 87/109

Thanks
Lurch

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Since you're replacing pistons, 106" is more bang / $.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im hoping for a sae of at least 103 hp.
I have bounced the idea of going to a 106/107 jug but haven't seen the numbers that support them being any better. They seem to be pushing the same as a 103.

If im goinng to change the cams again Im going gear drive,
Ive seen alot of builds using the 777 cam.
Any opinions?
I would rather have a peak tq around 4-4500 with hp still coming on at redline. Or if it hits low, one that dosent fall on its face through the upper end. (like the 48 does)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You're wanting to put a lot of money into a high strung top end on a stock bottom end. I believe in big and dumb motors. If you put similar money into the bottom end by beefing it up and increasing the stroke and/or cylinder size you will have a much better platform to build power from. I'd take a 124" with mild cams, moderate compression and basic heads and shoot for 120/120 over a 103 or 107 trying to shoot for those numbers. At least then you would have a strong basis for more power. Maybe you could have the stock crank beefed up a bit and cut the cases for 4.125 bore and get a 117. You'd have much more power than you are trying to achieve and it would be significantly more reliable.

You won't want to install gear drives unless you crank is addressed anyway.

I got 101/118 out of my 103" with TMan 555TQ cams and a bit of headwork. No change of stock flat cast pistons. You are already looking to spend way more than I had tied up in my bike and are shooting for similar numbers??

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A 103" powerplant is beyond capable of going up into the 120 plus hp zone, with the proper component parts, tuned correctly.
With the size/weight of that RG, torque cannot be side-stepped to establish hp.
A Wood 408-6 cam, for example, set up correctly from t/body to exhaust, would be a cam that would deliver both.
Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts