Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of planning a garage/shop in the backyard. I considered one of the metal building that they sell on every corner but I don't have the patience to deal with the aggravation that comes with them. I am strongly intetested in putting up a Versa Tube steel frame only and finishing inside and out like a stick built garage. Has anyone used their frame kit? Any pros or cons that you have experienced? Any comments will be welcomed.
Thank you in advance.
Hopalong

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Following. This is something I’m planning for as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What size? Any code restrictions? How permanent do you need it?

Very hard to beat the cost of a traditional post-frame

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah i was talking to a contractor a couple of years ago and was told (without seeing a quote) that once I was finishing inside walls that a metal building wasn't necessarily cheaper. Now if you need the span from steel different circumstance. However the type of enclosure you mentioned may be cheaper than what I was wanting as a garage. Which the would get into as mentioned above. Codes and restrictions. I'll be following to see what you land on

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I built one, in my younger years. Block foundation that ended above grade, so that the walls were high, dry and less tempting to insects. Then floated the floor inside of the foundation which gained some head room. 10 foot stick built walls, and truss roof. Poured the floor 8" thick so it was lift ready. Out side was T1-11 siding over the cheapest cdx I could buy with a vapour barrier. Inside was foil backed insulation and mostly scrap plywood that went up as I found the plywood. Never got around to finishing the ceiling.

If I had it to do over would have built it with double doors and rafters. I regretted not having the attic storage.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have no thoughts to contribute and do not want to hijack this thread. I do have a question that I hope will also help out the op in the process:

@Thermodyne = why do you wish you'd have used "double doors"? Meaning double entry [people] doors or a french-door style door setup instead of a single garage door?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I have no thoughts to contribute and do not want to hijack this thread. I do have a question that I hope will also help out the op in the process:

@Thermodyne = why do you wish you'd have used "double doors"? Meaning double entry [people] doors or a french-door style door setup instead of a single garage door?

Two 8 foot roll up doors is what I was referring to. As opposed to one 16 foot.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could stick build it, but crappy lumber is very expensive, I spend a lot of time picking out straight pieces, i can't do that here I just have to order a hundred or so 2X4s and take what I get. I also have to buy trusses, make headers, i believe I can set up a frame in a couple of days and steel is pretty straight and doesn't have knots. Hard to nail though. And 95% of this is a one man project. The uprights are on 48" centers and 10' metal studs are about $3
I will sheath it with 1/2 OSB wrap it and install vinyl siding. I will deck the roof with OSB and put metal on top of that. Then I can put in metal studs on 16" centers, wire it, insulate the walls and ceiling and sheet rock the inside. Probably take until sometime in the spring. I am budgeting $10,000 for a 20'X 24'X10' with a roll up door, 1 man door, 1 window, and a concrete floor. I will have someone help with the sheet rock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I built a 30'x40' with a 12' overhang, stick built metal exterior and interior finished. Two 16' garage doors 14' high ceilings. A buddy of mine did the complete metal frame setup not much of a price difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Going wider will be more expensive than going longer. A 24' truss is $45-55 while a 30' is close to double that depending on supplier.

And the comment about crap lumber, is true. The best way is to buy treated posts and skirt boards, then source true rough cut 2x4 / 2x6 from the Amish folks

Don't be afraid to shop around any local lumber yards to quote a building price. My 24'x48', 12' high, 6 windows, one entry door and an insulated 10' door was $11k for materials. If you don't care too much about looks, you can cut a little off by going with no overhang

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like a larger building but my lot is only 1/4 acre and i have some trees in the backyard.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,297 Posts
I may be biased but I like a wood structure. Easier to work with, fasten and cut. Myself I would either build a pole structure, probably cheapest strap the the exterior with 2x4 then put metal on it or sheath and vinyl. You can make your own trusses or buy a truss package that shouldn't be to expensive for that size, and then sheath and put shingles or metal on, I prefer shingles (price and ease of install on a roof like that). Then pour your concrete floor after the building is up.
Or I would our a slab and then stick frame with 2x6, or 2x4 if you don't need lots of insulation. This is easier than building a pole structure as all you need help with is standing the walls and rafters. The pole structures can be tricky to get your poles lined up and everything square especially if you don't have someone to help with that. On our acreage I did both types of structures and like I say stick framing on top of a slab is easier but the pole structure was less money.
Pole structure 60x32

Stick frame on slab 40X26

·
Registered
644 Posts
I framed and sheathed 12’ wall sections so I could stand them by myself. A few extra 2x6 that way but I’m a solo trying to build a shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I could stick build it, but crappy lumber is very expensive, I spend a lot of time picking out straight pieces, i can't do that here I just have to order a hundred or so 2X4s and take what I get. I also have to buy trusses, make headers, i believe I can set up a frame in a couple of days and steel is pretty straight and doesn't have knots. Hard to nail though. And 95% of this is a one man project. The uprights are on 48" centers and 10' metal studs are about $3
I will sheath it with 1/2 OSB wrap it and install vinyl siding. I will deck the roof with OSB and put metal on top of that. Then I can put in metal studs on 16" centers, wire it, insulate the walls and ceiling and sheet rock the inside. Probably take until sometime in the spring. I am budgeting $10,000 for a 20'X 24'X10' with a roll up door, 1 man door, 1 window, and a concrete floor. I will have someone help with the sheet rock.

I'll come help with the sheetrock or anything else.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I might of went a bit overboard!

But I needed good insulation, AC and great electrical. Locked shell painted and stuccoed for $24K, dropped another $17K on insulation, electrical, floor epoxy, drywall and a 3 ton mini split AC/heatpump
Building.png
Building - 118.jpg
unit installed.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I just installed a 2 pole car lift in mine, can't wait to get it finished. I'm tired of crawling on the ground in my old age. If you work on your own cars / trucks, i highly recommend building your garage tall enough to put one of these in there. They are not that expensive and are a great item to have. My garage is 32'x24' with 10' ceiling. I should have put the lift in years ago.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts