Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have a set of screaming eagle adjustable pushrods with covers and gaskets and a cometic .30 head gasket. I'm looking at 3 different cams right now. I've made myself dizzy researching this again and again. I have decided not to do head work for now because unfortunately budget is a factor

I'm looking at the TW-777 cam because I've heard it pulls well in the 2500 to 5500 range where I want it. It has slightly less duration than other .575 lift cams but not as much as the cyclorama cam in that lift category. I think I'd be happy with this one but am not sure how it will react to the extra compression.

The 57H is one I keep bouncing back to because it appears that several people are quite pleased with this cam. It is my favorite because it can be found on ebay for about half as much as some others I've researched.

The TC24D appears to have the same specs as the 57H but Hillside has informed me in another post that it responds better to higher compression.

I'm guessing any of those 3 will make me a happy camper and allow me room to grow if I need some more next winter.

Comments and help are greatly appreciated. Thank you to everyone who has added their .02 to this thought process already. I am not ignoring any of what any of you have had to say.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would call Woods they love to talk cams. They will ask the usuall what do you rdie and how do you ride and discuss future upgrades like heads and compression. They will direct you to their best came. I have run the TW222 in my 103 SG because I didnt plan headwork, very happy pulled like crazy. I had a TW777 in my 08 Fatbob and was also very happy never got to headwork before selling. I would also go to their site and checkout their various dyno runs sent to them for a myriad of bikes and configs.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
The TW777 is more of a high rpm cam you would be happier with a TW222 or a TW555 these cams work well with the heavier touring model bikes. The TW222 turns on at a lower rpm then either the TW555 or the TW777 and it pulls hard.
A .30 head gasket isn't going to give you too much of a compression jump and IMO it isn't worth doing a head gasket changes unless you have to pull the heads for some other reason.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I've got the Andrews 57H with the D&D Fatcats dyno tuned with the Direct Link system. 100 torque in the 2600-2700 range and the hp pulls all the way out on the right side. A very good choice of bolt in cams. You can find it on Amazon for $203 and the inner torrington bearings for $15 or so, cheaper at a local bearing place. The new Rushmore bikes tanks are so easy to pull off now, that I pulled the tank and pulled the rocker boxes and rockers and used the stock pushrods to save money and actually about the same amount of time. A friend of mine in New Hampshire had the Woods 222 put in last year. He never liked it so he bought a set of the 57H's about 3 weeks ago and put them in and dyno'd it. It blew him away how much better the bike ran and how quick seat of the pants it was. To say the least he was really impressed. ON the Woods 777, I've never been a big fan of that cam. On the Woods 555, I have it in a softail and it was the worst mistake I ever made. It just feels lazy. Hope this helps. PM me if you need anything.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does the 57H respond to more compression?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
How does the 57H respond to more compression?
It will respond a little but the Rushmores already are a little higher in compression. If you do the work yourself on the tear down and install, then it would be worth the $400 or so for the 1.9" intake valve and mild port job and a .030 head gasket. I've seen dynos that show it in the 105-108 hp and the torque in the high teens. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could you PM me the info on who can do it for that price? So far VeeTwin seems to have the best price on port/polish/ and new valves. I imagine it would be cheaper just to do the intake. I have been looking at a lot of dyno sheets and head work seems to create more usable torque and a flatter torque curve on the top between the spots I ride. I think the 57H would work good with it. The price difference is what has me leaning toward the 57 too. I wish I could go in the heads with a dremel tool and do some myself without screwing it up but I don't have the first idea of what I'd be doing other than matching up the gasket and smoothing out the casting. I do appreciate those who have the tools and years of knowledge but I also like to learn. I'd like to apprentice for a builder. Maybe I will if anyone will take a middle aged fat man on when I retire in 8 months. I wish I could go all out and throw money at it but I can't. I love this site though and like seeing what everyone is doing. I can't wait to see the results of Dragos blown 124. :grin:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the 57 h cams and still glad I did. You will find the engine spins over easier (starts) because of 32 degree overlap and a closing of the intake is later 38 degrees after. The engine will also run cooler for these reasons. Mine begins to lay down @ about 5600 RPM.

·
Registered
339 Posts
MY FIRST CAM WAS THE S&S 551 EASY START GREAT CAM RIGHT OFF THE STARTING LINE I LIKED THIS CAM BUT CAN NO LONGER USE IT AS MY COMPRESSION IS TO HIGH CAM

551: Designed for engines with 96 to 106 CID and 9:1 to 9:9 compression. This is a bolt-in cam set designed for stock or mildly modified touring bikes. 551 cams are not recommended for compression ratios of 10:1 or greater. Greatly improves low-end and midrange torque, strongest from idle-4000rpm.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the 57H cams, screaming eagle push rods and covers, S&S install kit. I have ordered Crane Cams 10530 lifters. I learned on HTT that 87-99 small block chevy roller lifters work in our motors so I'm going to give these units a shot. You can buy them from Jegs on Amazon for about $48. It was driving me nuts on how much we get gouged for our 4 lifters when you can buy 16 for the price of 4 of ours. I know HD stands for Hundred Dollars but sheesh! I have heartlands cam bearing tool and a scissor lift to lift up the back tire while the bike is on a harbor freight lift I will be borrowing. I have a Barnett heavy duty clutch spring ordered and am considering buying a clutch wiz to reduce the amount of pull on the lever. I guess all that is left is to go to the parts store to get some assembly lube and to the beer store to get some beer. I'm looking forward to this. I'm still up in the air on if I want to ship my heads out. I've heard I can carve some grooves in the head which might help reduce detonation and help with fuel mileage. (This is a highly controversial topic on HTT) I have two head porters in mind. Both are well respected. I have talked to several and I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you everyone who has helped me come to my own decisions. If I didn't go with what you recommended it wasn't because I wasn't listening but that I took the knowledge I gained and made my own informed decision from it. I'll post up again when I have more.

Reactions: Hitman76 and Smarty

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm curious to hear more about those roller lifters after you have them installed. I hope you keep us posted.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The heads are off and on there way to Kirby at Vee Twin Performance in Florida. I was disgusted at the amount of sludge buildup in the intake from the head vents so I ordered a catch can from BMI karts and supplies. I will T both lines into one down to the can and then a return line back up to the intake. The can also has a drain petcock. I'm not sure where I'll place it but I'm thinking there will be space behind the motor and hidden by the heat guards once they are reinstalled. A Clutch Wiz has also arrived in the mail. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm curious to hear more about those roller lifters after you have them installed. I hope you keep us posted.
Will do. They look extremely stout.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my cams in yesterday. I loved Heartland's bearing puller and installer. It made the job easy. I used the S&S bearings that came with the install kit. I enjoyed doing the job with the heads off. I was surprised to learn that the rear cylinder was #1. I thought it was the front cylinder. I forgot to put the Heartland lifter magnets that I had bought to hold up the lifters and all 4 fell down as I attempted to remove the cam chest. I realized what I had done and had a chuckle at my own expense. I was able to push them back up with a screw driver and they stayed up with the magnets. My Andrews cams had the timing marks on the wrong side of the sprocket but I was able to figure it out by coloring the two timing teeth with a marker. I got everything lined up and bolted in after replacing the O rings. I was feeling pretty good when I discovered I had forgot to put the washer behind the top timing chain. I had another chuckle and took the sprockets back off and put the washer on. I reassembled the assy and put on the gasket and cover making sure everything was torqued properly. I then took the lifter covers off and replaced those with the Crane Cams Chevy lifters I had bought. I used assy lube on all the bearing surfaces previously and put some on the lifters as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So far I have a set of screaming eagle adjustable pushrods with covers and gaskets and a cometic .30 head gasket. I'm looking at 3 different cams right now. I've made myself dizzy researching this again and again. I have decided not to do head work for now because unfortunately budget is a factor

I'm looking at the TW-777 cam because I've heard it pulls well in the 2500 to 5500 range where I want it. It has slightly less duration than other .575 lift cams but not as much as the cyclorama cam in that lift category. I think I'd be happy with this one but am not sure how it will react to the extra compression.

The 57H is one I keep bouncing back to because it appears that several people are quite pleased with this cam. It is my favorite because it can be found on ebay for about half as much as some others I've researched.

The TC24D appears to have the same specs as the 57H but Hillside has informed me in another post that it responds better to higher compression.

I'm guessing any of those 3 will make me a happy camper and allow me room to grow if I need some more next winter.

Comments and help are greatly appreciated. Thank you to everyone who has added their .02 to this thought process already. I am not ignoring any of what any of you have had to say.
I did the 57H and they are great. Nothing to compare them to other than the stock 15RG cams. Pulls a lot harder and runs really well with the FP3 and their exhaust and air cleaner. I still have the cam tool used once available for 85 bucks shipped. I wouldnt pull the heads now. Just do cams then later when you have the money do the big bore kit and have the heads worked and use the thinner gasket. That's assuming you don't have to pay someone to re tune it everytime you make changes.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Hey Norm, I just pulled my rocker boxes last Thursday and removed the stock lifters and put in the S&S standard lifters. What a big difference over the stock C-lifters that Harley is putting in now. I kept having the front exhaust lifter hanging up and wouldn't pump up every 6-10 times you started the engine. I said something to my dealer, but if it wouldn't do it when it was there, they wouldn't do anything about it. I thought about videoing it when it happens but said for $100 just change them out and be done. Well, I've done a lot of engine work and I can't believe what a good set of lifters will do. It actually hits much harder at idle and throttle response is much improved. I think the C-lifters were never completely pumping up completely thus not letting the 57H completely do it's job. Good luck with your build and keep us up on the lifters and how the heads work out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The heads arrived in Florida today!:grin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts