Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RGS (Black and Chrome)
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start with the statement that I absolutely LOVE the CVO, who doesn't? When I was shopping for my RG this year I was super close to get the CVO, but a thought behind my mind that I could build my own CVO with the specs I wanted kept me from pulling the trigger....

Here were my thoughts/desires/decisions:

1) I am a sucker for black and chrome, which to my advantage is one of the least expensive options for the RGS.
2) I want a higher displacement than the 114, so the 117 was appealing but the the 122ci is even more appealing.
3) Need a better sound on the RGS, the CVO comes out of the box with what I wanted.
4) I love the Rinehart sound, so I would need an upgrade here.
5) Need a bit higher windshield.

With that in mind I took the plunge into making my own on a RGS black and chrome. So far I have purchased the following for upgrades:

1) Ohlins 159 shocks
2) Memphis Shades 8.5" black smoke
3) Rinhehart DBX45 (all chrome)

For the winter I am working with the dealer for:

1) 122ci stage 3 kit
2) Rockford Fosgate stage 3
3) Lid speakers

I believe this will be it, maybe upgrade the seats...not sure yet....All in all, I am looking into less than $10k into upgrades (according to my calculations) which makes me really really happy as to ME it will have the upgrades I think I want (at least for now) for about the same price as a factory CVO...

Note: I am not trying to justify not getting the CVO, it is an awesome machine for sure.... I am sharing because I wanted to do my own CVO.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
That works. Along as YOUR and your WALLET are on speaking terms and not at odds- go for it!

Keeps us in the loop with the progress.

You know full well it will evolve and one more thing will be added, then another, then another.... by then the budget that was set out will be blown out of portion and you will look back and say, what the hell happened?! With a huge grin on your face. And if people ask you of you will do again, and you will happily say yes!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That works. Along as YOUR and your WALLET are on speaking terms and not at odds- go for it!

Keeps us in the loop with the progress.

You know full well it will evolve and one more thing will be added, then another, then another.... by then the budget that was set out will be blown out of portion and you will look back and say, what the hell happened?! With a huge grin on your face. And if people ask you of you will do again, and you will happily say yes!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
no doubts… my budget was for the CVO so my goal is to do my upgrades up to the amount I would’ve spent on the stock CVO. I got the bike for $12k less than the CVO, so if I can get on the $10k less all that I want (which I am pretty sure I can) I will be satisfied with my choice.

I understand with the CVO I would not have todo any upgrades except for maybe windshield….

·
Registered
27 Posts
To duplicate a CVO completely Will cost more than 12,000 if only using the highlights of one that you are interested in then you’re probably doing the right thing I’m not too impressed with the paint on the CVOs in the last few years I really like the way they painted them in 2010 and 13. The biggest attraction for me is the CVO rear fender and tail lights which I have done with several other mods but good luck should be fun

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To duplicate a CVO completely Will cost more than 12,000 if only using the highlights of one that you are interested in then you’re probably doing the right thing I’m not too impressed with the paint on the CVOs in the last few years I really like the way they painted them in 2010 and 13. The biggest attraction for me is the CVO rear fender and tail lights which I have done with several other mods but good luck should be fun
definitely not looking to duplicate, looking at my own as far as performance and confort.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Congrats and good luck... Building it to your (CVO) Specs is challenging and rewarding... Like I did to my slate (Standard) canvas of a Glide...to what it is today, chrome Front forks, 21's, matching brake rotors, 10" Yaffee's, 95 build with Andrews cams and Dynoed, Biketronics4180 system, etc... etc...Just rewarding... So go for it and enjoy..

Reactions: Violeiro

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I just picked up a Bronze CVO in July. I am by no means rich, but I’ve already started changing things out. Bars, grips, floorboards....Its part of the fun of owning these things.
:cool:
Needless to say my wife, God bless her, is about ready to kill me. If I was smart I woulda just gotten a RG Special & raced it out. I’ve seen some incredible builds that started as straight Standards. But I made the mistake of seeing my bike in person and “Holy Moly!” I couldn’t not buy it. I still gag over the price though.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
630 Posts
There are those that ride stage bikes, and those that make them their own as is constantly referenced here.I have done stage kits on every bike I have owned.And at trade in no dealer loved me any more because of what I did.But they did notice how they were cared for.These current CVOs going forward are gong to become more limited In production make them more wanted and more valuable.We purchased a 2021 Bronze armor RoadGlide this is our 7th Harley and the little details fit finish,21” front wheel even the fobs and cover are thought out.I applaud your can do attitude but when it’s time to trade that badge means something.Good luck with your bike and send pics.Good Luck

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
107 Posts
Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive design Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive lighting
That's what I'm trying to do to mine. This is my old man 2020 FLTRK, stage 2, 14's in the rear +2 in the front. Plus a lot of other stuff... My plate is CVNO. Ride it everyday. It's my only source of transportation. Love it. Rides FANTASTIC!!

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
View attachment 431128 View attachment 431130 That's what I'm trying to do to mine. This is my old man 2020 FLTRK, stage 2, 14's in the rear +2 in the front. Plus a lot of other stuff... My plate is CVNO. Ride it everyday. It's my only source of transportation. Love it. Rides FANTASTIC!!
Not my cup of tea in the looks department, but I'll wager that bike will run some twisty roads! Nicely done!

·
Registered
2021 HD FLTRX 107 cu in
41 Posts
I had the same thought process when I decided not to buy a CVO or a Special. To truly make this bike my own, it requires significant changes from what you can walk in the dealership and buy. This lead me to buy the Road Glide Standard. After my build is complete which will be by my birthday in February, my glide will be faster and prettier than a CVO in my eyes and that's what matters. I love the CVO but to buy one then spend additional money to customize it did not make sense in my opinion. Good luck on your build.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are those that ride stage bikes, and those that make them their own as is constantly referenced here.I have done stage kits on every bike I have owned.And at trade in no dealer loved me any more because of what I did.But they did notice how they were cared for.These current CVOs going forward are gong to become more limited In production make them more wanted and more valuable.We purchased a 2021 Bronze armor RoadGlide this is our 7th Harley and the little details fit finish,21” front wheel even the fobs and cover are thought out.I applaud your can do attitude but when it’s time to trade that badge means something.Good luck with your bike and send pics.Good Luck
Agree with the trade comparison, but not as bad when you look at numbers…I did consider and thought about it quite a bit…thinking that 30% of 30k is $9k, while 30% of 42k is $12.6k that is $3.6k extra loss on a trade of the CVO if done within a year or so… with the exception of the SE 122 kit everything can me replaced back with stock and sold separately if needed…

Agree 1000% with the observations on attention to details on the CVO….truly amazing and took me a lot to resist .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
630 Posts
Agree with the trade comparison, but not as bad when you look at numbers…I did consider and thought about it quite a bit…thinking that 30% of 30k is $9k, while 30% of 42k is $12.6k that is $3.6k extra loss on a trade of the CVO if done within a year or so… with the exception of the SE 122 kit everything can me replaced back with stock and sold separately if needed…

Agree 1000% with the observations on attention to details on the CVO….truly amazing and took me a lot to resist .

After five years a cvo has a trade value of 56%

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wanted a CVO when I bought my 2018 RG but the colors weren’t doing it for me I thought the biggest attraction for me is the rear fender and Cadillac lights so to speak so I thought I would just do that on an all black RG special along with other mods
CVO rear fender/lights with led light frame
I used 2009 fender and lights little bit of work but smoother tinted tail lights on previous CVO models
Removable top case with air wing
His and hers Arlen Ness floor boards
Stage 1 kit plenty of power for touring
Billet side box levers
2 custom seats and top case backrest in leather much cooler temp wise
Moved brake pedal in about 1” more room on board
Screening Eagle 4” mufflers
Legends 13”shocks the HD 12” 👎
Cat delete header pipe
Every bolt has been removed sanded and polished
Spun in a drill till satisfied they polish easy
Headlight Eyebrow
Anti Glare mirrors
Grip buddies. Lol
It’s a great bike no complaints between that and our new BMW Bagger both great touring bikes just one of them does it a little bit smoother and faster

Attachments

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,132 Posts
If I were buying, I'd rather buy a standard or Special and roll my own from there. For my taste, the wheels on the new CVOs are fugly as hell. Beyond that CVOs are terrific, although I agree with the post above that most of the paint schemes aren't what they used to be.

Reactions: Violeiro

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting lots of people mention the colors…. I think they are beautiful BUT not for my bike….same with the Snake Venom- beautiful but not for me….

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I were buying, I'd rather buy a standard or Special and roll my own from there. For my taste, the wheels on the new CVOs are fugly as hell. Beyond that CVOs are terrific, although I agree with the post above that most of the paint schemes aren't what they used to be.
The main reasons I wanted the special was for the RDRS and 114ci. The standard was very appealing to me thinking of adding the performance kit.

·
Registered
2021 roadglide cvo, black hole.
142 Posts
I too had a tough choice when I purchased my 21 cvo roadglide black hole, I liked the look of the cvo and options it came with. Lighting is upgraded, locking saddle bags with the push of a button, fang front spoiler, all the upgraded parts that I usually change on a standard or special comes on this bike. That's why Harley makes different models and levels, they all look and ride and look beautiful. Now buying a cvo and then changing out the parts that you payed good money for to each there own.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,784 Posts
I get why some people go for the factory CVO, they look great as they sit with more power. You can buy one and not worry about doing any more mods, but where is the fun in that. I much prefer the idea of starting with a black canvas and making it into a 1 of 1 custom bike instead of having something that is the same as others. This site is riddled with 1 off custom bikes and it is awesome to see everyones different setups. Really looking forward to seeing how yours turns out @Violeiro

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
107 Posts
I get why some people go for the factory CVO, they look great as they sit with more power. You can buy one and not worry about doing any more mods, but where is the fun in that. I much prefer the idea of starting with a black canvas and making it into a 1 of 1 custom bike instead of having something that is the same as others. This site is riddled with 1 off custom bikes and it is awesome to see everyones different setups. Really looking forward to seeing how yours turns out @Violeiro
me too

1 - 20 of 50 Posts