Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
I want to start with the statement that I absolutely LOVE the CVO, who doesn't? When I was shopping for my RG this year I was super close to get the CVO, but a thought behind my mind that I could build my own CVO with the specs I wanted kept me from pulling the trigger....

Here were my thoughts/desires/decisions:

1) I am a sucker for black and chrome, which to my advantage is one of the least expensive options for the RGS.
2) I want a higher displacement than the 114, so the 117 was appealing but the the 122ci is even more appealing.
3) Need a better sound on the RGS, the CVO comes out of the box with what I wanted.
4) I love the Rinehart sound, so I would need an upgrade here.
5) Need a bit higher windshield.

With that in mind I took the plunge into making my own on a RGS black and chrome. So far I have purchased the following for upgrades:

1) Ohlins 159 shocks
2) Memphis Shades 8.5" black smoke
3) Rinhehart DBX45 (all chrome)

For the winter I am working with the dealer for:

1) 122ci stage 3 kit
2) Rockford Fosgate stage 3
3) Lid speakers

I believe this will be it, maybe upgrade the seats...not sure yet....All in all, I am looking into less than $10k into upgrades (according to my calculations) which makes me really really happy as to ME it will have the upgrades I think I want (at least for now) for about the same price as a factory CVO...

Note: I am not trying to justify not getting the CVO, it is an awesome machine for sure.... I am sharing because I wanted to do my own CVO.
Hey man...I totally agree with you...the CVO roadglide, especially the new one is amazing, but like you...I wanted my own finger prints on my 2020 roadglide special, and I basically did what u did..klockwerks 9" sportsflare windshield, Rineharts exhaust, stage 1 set up,heavy breather air filter,replaced the Harley stereo system with hertz Neo's speakers, four 6x9's, two 6.5's and two T25 horn tweeters, 2 amps...factory 47's 12 " signature handlebars....and I'm straight 馃枻馃憣馃徑

Registered
If I were buying, I'd rather buy a standard or Special and roll my own from there. For my taste, the wheels on the new CVOs are fugly as hell. Beyond that CVOs are terrific, although I agree with the post above that most of the paint schemes aren't what they used to be.
I agree, the paint scheme, especially the red white and orange one...but your right,those wheels mixed with spokes are ugly as shit to me too

Registered
Did the CVO thing with my old '18 Gun Ship Gray...never jived well with that 21 up front and the Tour Pack on the back but thats just me - Don't regret it but don't miss it either...

Registered
Did the CVO thing with my old '18 Gun Ship Gray...never jived well with that 21 up front and the Tour Pack on the back but thats just me - Don't regret it but don't miss it either...
With a 21 up front and weights in the rear It did not have enough front weight it was not tracking good. I had the same problem just with 12鈥 shocks on my 18 RGS After the top case and the wife on the back I knew I needed more weight up front 13 inch fully adjustable legends took care of it

Registered
2021 RGS (Black and Chrome)
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Some of my upgrades this week - total spending thus far $1600
  • Ohlins 159
  • Shades 8.5"
  • Rinehart DBX45

Really loving every bit of the three upgrades. No power loss on the DBX45 whatsoever (at least on my pants dyno). Really love the sound! I cannot speak high enough of the ohlins shocks, and the shades just completed the package for now.

Edit: Striked the no power loss... I found a bit of hesitation pulling back on 5th gear from hovering around 2K RPM or so, BUT nothing that bothered me so far. The sound of the DBX45 really changed the riding experience, I am enjoying it very much. I am sure the "hesitation" will get addressed with performance upgrades - stage 2 or 3... BUT, if not, as I said it is nothing that bothers me and you really really have to be OCD to notice.

The shades helped a lot with being able to hear my stock speakers without having to be blasting them all the way.

Registered
View attachment 431128 View attachment 431130 That's what I'm trying to do to mine. This is my old man 2020 FLTRK, stage 2, 14's in the rear +2 in the front. Plus a lot of other stuff... My plate is CVNO. Ride it everyday. It's my only source of transportation. Love it. Rides FANTASTIC!!
Very nice bike! Love that look with the T-bars too. I was thinking about doing something like that, however, I don't want to relocate my gauges - to me, that is too much work. I was thinking maybe some custom T-bars, from FreedumbFab, but I'm not sure how much that would cost.

BTW, what do you mean, "14's in the rear +2 in the front"?

Registered
2) I want a higher displacement than the 114, so the 117 was appealing but the the 122ci is even more appealing.
Since the 114, 117, 122, and 131 all have a 4.5" stroke - if you're going that far - why stop at 122?

Registered
These are not race bikes鈥..what鈥檚 the point in building a motor out that far. The crank and
Bearings are probably not designed for that much more rotating mass? I don鈥檛 know just thinking out loud. You do all that work and gain 3 /10THs in the quarter mile over stock reliability? Who knows鈥..Ok so a (Polarass) Challenger that is suppose to faster in the Quarter beats you to the gas station by 3 bike lengths. Who cares. I didn鈥檛 by a RGS to haul Ass light to light, for me/us it鈥檚 to do touring type riding or like tomorrow a pocket run with 200 people all enjoying each other鈥檚 company and passion. I can鈥檛 believe I voiced my opinion on this鈥 don鈥檛 mean to upset anyone. It鈥檚 your Scooter make it faster if that鈥檚 your plan. Just remember there will Always be someone faster !

Registered
2020 FLTRK
Very nice bike! Love that look with the T-bars too. I was thinking about doing something like that, however, I don't want to relocate my gauges - to me, that is too much work. I was thinking maybe some custom T-bars, from FreedumbFab, but I'm not sure how much that would cost.

BTW, what do you mean, "14's in the rear +2 in the front"?
Shocks and fork tubes. Olins 14" shocks in the rear and +2" fork tubes with the Olins NIX30's in the front.

Registered
These are not race bikes鈥..what鈥檚 the point in building a motor out that far. The crank and
Bearings are probably not designed for that much more rotating mass? I don鈥檛 know just thinking out loud. You do all that work and gain 3 /10THs in the quarter mile over stock reliability? Who knows鈥..Ok so a (Polarass) Challenger that is suppose to faster in the Quarter beats you to the gas station by 3 bike lengths. Who cares. I didn鈥檛 by a RGS to haul Ass light to light, for me/us it鈥檚 to do touring type riding or like tomorrow a pocket run with 200 people all enjoying each other鈥檚 company and passion. I can鈥檛 believe I voiced my opinion on this鈥 don鈥檛 mean to upset anyone. It鈥檚 your Scooter make it faster if that鈥檚 your plan. Just remember there will Always be someone faster !
you're entitled to your opinion. i'm also happy with a 'mostly' stock bike (stage 1) and have no plans to build it out any further. my stock bike will go from 0 to speeding ticket plenty fast enough for me.

but, to add to your last quote, 'it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than it is to ride a fast bike slow'.

Registered
but, to add to your last quote, 'it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than it is to ride a fast bike slow'.
Definitely got a point there, my Shovel is way more fun to push to the ragged edge than just about anything I've ever owned.

Reactions: Violeiro and Zedbra

Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
Edit: Striked the no power loss... I found a bit of hesitation pulling back on 5th gear from hovering around 2K RPM or so, BUT nothing that bothered me so far. The sound of the DBX45 really changed the riding experience, I am enjoying it very much. I am sure the "hesitation" will get addressed with performance upgrades - stage 2 or 3... BUT, if not, as I said it is nothing that bothers me and you really really have to be OCD to notice.
Running at 2k rpm will make most bikes feel sluggish - every cam has their optimal zone and 2k is usually below that zone; so I wouldn't go blaming the pipe just yet.

@StoneTrekker went down this road a while ago, by making his bike into his own vision versus buying a CVO. In my opinion, he built a beautiful bike.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Running at 2k rpm will make most bikes feel sluggish - every cam has their optimal zone and 2k is usually below that zone; so I wouldn't go blaming the pipe just yet.

@StoneTrekker went down this road a while ago, by making his bike into his own vision versus buying a CVO. In my opinion, he built a beautiful bike.
You are spot on sir, I think the feeling was more on my ears having the bigger roar...if it makes sense.

I have done close to 400 miles this weekend on this bike since the upgrades, and I am completely in love with everything, no regrets or doubts or questioning myself - the pipes have a great sound, the windshield lets me hear my music better, and shocks are ice on the cake.

I am looking forward to other upgrades for sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
you're entitled to your opinion. i'm also happy with a 'mostly' stock bike (stage 1) and have no plans to build it out any further. my stock bike will go from 0 to speeding ticket plenty fast enough for me.

I think the fun is on the bike's attitude and character - not the fast or the slow.... I actually don't push too hard but it does feel good to feel it once in a while... it changes the bike itself - it has a distinctive sound and attitude, and character. I personally like the attitude change of the bike, not because it is faster.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts