Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I want to start with the statement that I absolutely LOVE the CVO, who doesn't? When I was shopping for my RG this year I was super close to get the CVO, but a thought behind my mind that I could build my own CVO with the specs I wanted kept me from pulling the trigger....

Here were my thoughts/desires/decisions:

1) I am a sucker for black and chrome, which to my advantage is one of the least expensive options for the RGS.
2) I want a higher displacement than the 114, so the 117 was appealing but the the 122ci is even more appealing.
3) Need a better sound on the RGS, the CVO comes out of the box with what I wanted.
4) I love the Rinehart sound, so I would need an upgrade here.
5) Need a bit higher windshield.

With that in mind I took the plunge into making my own on a RGS black and chrome. So far I have purchased the following for upgrades:

1) Ohlins 159 shocks
2) Memphis Shades 8.5" black smoke
3) Rinhehart DBX45 (all chrome)

For the winter I am working with the dealer for:

1) 122ci stage 3 kit
2) Rockford Fosgate stage 3
3) Lid speakers

I believe this will be it, maybe upgrade the seats...not sure yet....All in all, I am looking into less than $10k into upgrades (according to my calculations) which makes me really really happy as to ME it will have the upgrades I think I want (at least for now) for about the same price as a factory CVO...

Note: I am not trying to justify not getting the CVO, it is an awesome machine for sure.... I am sharing because I wanted to do my own CVO.
CVO bikes are nice. The MOCO does a good job of putting together a premium package that usually appeals to a fairly large group. You can add all the goodies and options you want to a RGS but it still will never be a CVO bike. It's just a bike that you have customized to your liking. Much like everyone else here on this great forum. The amount you choose to spend on upgrades doesn't make it "your own CVO". By just adding shocks, a windshield and slip ons It makes it your own custom bike. Add a larger displacement motor and upgrade your stereo...whatever makes you happy, you are still customizing a Roadglide Special. Spend your hard earned dollars the way you want and make your bike whatever your dreams and budget will allow.

·
Registered
2021 RGS (Black and Chrome)
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
CVO bikes are nice. The MOCO does a good job of putting together a premium package that usually appeals to a fairly large group. You can add all the goodies and options you want to a RGS but it still will never be a CVO bike. It's just a bike that you have customized to your liking. Much like everyone else here on this great forum. The amount you choose to spend on upgrades doesn't make it "your own CVO". By just adding shocks, a windshield and slip ons It makes it your own custom bike. Add a larger displacement motor and upgrade your stereo...whatever makes you happy, you are still customizing a Roadglide Special. Spend your hard earned dollars the way you want and make your bike whatever your dreams and budget will allow.
What does CVO stand for?

·
Registered
2021 RGS (Black and Chrome)
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
A custom build bike will not hold the "value" compared to the same CVO. That is the only thing that sucks. People looking for a true CVO will not want the copy.
Agree, however a custom bike is NOT a CVO copy (sold by H-D) - it is a custom bike. Same thing for the people who customize a stock CVO, the custom additions will not hold the value and may not even interest the new buyer.

It is not about copying the CVO, it is about building my own custom and comparing the upgrades I would get from a stock CVO pushed from factory vs. doing the upgrades with the parts I have chosen....The "holding value" is not a factor to my decision, BUT I do recon lots of people do value "holding value" factor...ok in my book too, "different strokes for different folks" ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Building a custom bike and adding on your particular Taste in options and Bolt on‘s really doesn’t have much to do with the CVO at all. If you’re Justifying the cost difference between the two to Justify what you’re doing then so be it. I took a shot at it one time with my 2009 Road glide I should’ve just bought the CVO because that year was a great attraction to me. But like everything else it would be long gone by now and onto the next one. Good money thrown away after bad LOL now that I’ve had 45 motorcycles I’m sure I’ve wasted a little bit of money 😂. but that’s not why we do this…it’s understandable we all want something different than the next guy.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
a cvo will be worth more at trade in than a non-cvo. that's a fact. but, you are paying that money up front so it's kind of a wash. but, i don't buy a bike worrying about what the resale/trade value will be in x years. i buy a bike to ride and enjoy for myself.

i liked the blacked out look, the wheels, the stretched saddlebags, etc. so i went with the special. i've done a few things that 'make it my own', but i really don't care if anyone else likes them or not.

my sister and her husband bought a cadillac. they kept it covered and parked in the driveway and hardly ever drove it, 'to protect the value'. i never could understand the reasoning. why buy it in the first place then? i bought a 2016 truck in july of 16. here it is sep of 2021, just over 5 years later. i've got 111,000 miles on that truck now. but, like i said, i bought it to use it.

Reactions: Violeiro

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
75 Posts
lol…sorry brother, I have nothing to justify to anyone or to me for that matter - I currently have a 2021 Road Glide Limited (for 2 up) and a 2021 RGS for my solo which I want to make my own custom…, could’ve bought a CVO and made a jack of all trades with money left over…but I wanted to have fun. If you think it has nothing todo with CVO, great…still is my Custom Vehicle Options.
My plate is CVNO

41 - 50 of 50 Posts