Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well here it goes. 2008 Road Glide ABS
I decided after reading all the post and good info on installing ape hangers on the shark I come to the conclusion to forget the $800-$1000 price on the install and do it with the help of a friend! Well everything went fine with the install until we got to the wiring! OMG! Advice rite here and now if your heavy handed like I am be very careful at this point! This what happened. We took the wires off the stock bars and headed to the stealership to let them the take the green plug off the dreaded TBW and hardwire it. Got there and they said that is what they do when they wire the TBW is just hard wire it! I felt confident in what he said and at the work they did on the TBW! Headed back the the bike and we started pulling the wire through the new bars. We got almost to the end and the TBW got bunched up on the last bend with the shrink wrap, so my smart friend said out would be fine cause it has only got to go another inch before it is seated in the bars. He started forcing it in with a few hand taps and sure enough it fell in place! We put the bars on and tighten them down and started the bike to see if everything was working properly! You guessed it NO THROTTLE! Pulled the TBW back out and hooked it up to the connector outside the bars and cranked up twisted the throttle VROOM VROOM ok all fine and dandy! We figured when we forced the TBW in the bars and wires were bunched up as a result it effected the throttle! Back in we go with the wires, hook up again no throttle! CRAP! All we can think of now is the hard wiring the stealership did was weak when it got in the bars and in a bind! Off to the stealership we go again! They looked them over and said everything looks fine but were gonna resoder and tighten up the shrink wrap! Took the resodered TBW back shoot them through the bars (by this time we are professionals at this lol) hook up no throttle! Advice when you hook up all the wiring and connectors and the engine light comes on when you try and crank it you probably gonna have an issue. To make a long story short what happened was we were probably waaaaayyyyy to mean to that TBW! We did not realize how sensitive it was! Handle with caution! A lot of people also say to cut the green plug off and hardwire it but my advice would be to just spend the $100 and get the CVO TBW or twist grip throttle! It comes without the little green connector and it is also a longer wire! I did not have to extend it either. Once we got back to wire the CVO TBW and cleared all the codes before we cranked her up no engine light EUREKA!!!! With the 14" Malos I did not have to extend the wires at all as long as you get the CVO twist grip throttle which is interchangeable! For the cables I went +6 but should've went +6 clutch +4 on the upper brake line! In my opinion when you run the wires go with the TBW wire first then do the other wires oh and Vaseline is a blessing while doin it. I'll post pics later! Good thing is I learned a lot about my bike I think that was a lesson well learned.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
the subject line makes it seem as if it was a problem with the Buky Bars. Not necessarily misleading, but a bit confusing. #justsayin'

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say install problems but I can see where you come to that conclusion so I'll change it! I love my freaking bars by the way lol!

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Buky people are always at the Long Beach Swapmeet I was going to go with PY MonkeyBars But now im thinking Buky Bars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Johnnynitro I can say this about the Malos I have! I went in and out of those bars 3 times with the wires and not one time did they come back frayed or cut! Every time I had to pull then back out they were nice and clean. No burrs whatsoever! I was gonna go with Yaffe's myself!

·
Registered
405 Posts
This is what I'm worried about. Never installed bars much less internally wired etc. I'm looking to get 12" bars. I hear I won't need to extend anything. I hate reading all these horror stories. I never let anyone work on my bike unless it's helping me with it. And I'm surely not paying that kind of price to have them installed.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They are a BITCH to wire yes. And I can't even imagine trying to get my wires through those Buky bars -- my outlawz were hard enough. But if *I* can do it (even tho I re-pinned the connector wrong the first time) then *anyone* can :D

I might suggest -- instead of vasoline.. cooking spray! Less goopy.

Your bars look badass, sir. Well done.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In my one time experience I tried to run all wires together at the same time on the throttle side! Even though they came thru it was more of a struggle! When I did TBW first and then the rest of the wires next it was a lot easier! In the Buky bars you just have to make sure whatever you connect on the end if your wires to pull them thru (string,fishing line etc) don't have it's so bulky where it won't bend around corners! And yes Vaseline, cooking oil, dishwasher detergent will make it easier for sure!

·
Registered
852 Posts
In my one time experience I tried to run all wires together at the same time on the throttle side! Even though they came thru it was more of a struggle! When I did TBW first and then the rest of the wires next it was a lot easier! In the Buky bars you just have to make sure whatever you connect on the end if your wires to pull them thru (string,fishing line etc) don't have it's so bulky where it won't bend around corners! And yes Vaseline, cooking oil, dishwasher detergent will make it easier for sure!
I have done a couple of sets of monkey bars and a set of buky odysseys. I thought the buky bars at 1.5" were much easier. I didn't even remove the wiring sheaths on either side. On the first set of monkey bars I broke the green plug pulling it through so I cut it out. Worked fine. On the second set cut it out and pulled TBW first. Much easier. On the bukys went with the SE TBW and pulled it first, very easy. Took about 15 mins to pull wirs on both sides. I use conduit lube that I get at home depot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts