Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Road Glide has a problem that has me stumped. First, I'm the second owner, and the bike only has 5000 miles on it, so still on the original tires, etc.
The problem is whenever I hit a bump or dip that compresses the rear suspension, there is a strong vibration, shudder that you can feel through the seat, frame and footboards. The bike has always done it since I purchased it a year ago, but I just jacked up the air pressure in the shocks and the problem was reduced since, at 150 lbs, I don't work the suspension too hard! But I just came back from my first "two-up" ride and the bike was almost un-ridable because of the vibration/shudder over even the smallest bump or pavement seam. I have no idea what could be causing it. I suspect it has something to do with the belt tension getting too tight as the swing arm moves. Still, the belt should be on its original tension from the factory with only 5000 miles. One other thing. When I pull the clutch in and coast over a bump or dip, there is no shudder. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
A good inspection of the bike would be in order.
I would think that if the problem isn't there when you pull in the clutch and coast over the bumps/dips then the problem would be in the primary or trans.
There may be a possibility that the motor mounts are loose or out of adjustment. You may have bad wheel bearings or rear pulley bearing too.
Maybe you should take it into a repair shop and have them look at the bike if you can't find anything wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike has less than 5000 miles on it. I'll sell it before I go to all that expense and nonsense. Been ridin Harleys for over 25 years...since the first evo's came out. But this one's my last.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts