Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have a 2018 fltrx, screaming eagle stage 1, stock pipes, v&h slip-ons. My calves are burning up from the heat this summer whether stop and go or continuous riding. Help! Please

·
Registered
272 Posts
Remove the stock head pipes and replace with aftermarket, then retune with a quality fuel tuner.

I have stock head pipes on my 19' and have no issue, but I don't really go to places with "stop and go" traffic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dealing with the same issue. My dealer has a deal where you trade in the stock header from your bike, and they sell you a de-catted stock one for around $240. I'm sort of caught between a rock and a hard place on it because although the heat is killing me, I really like the smooth tone the bike has with the cat in with the street cannons. I've even considered modifying the stock header for more flow out of the left side, but I'm still not sure. I would absolutely love seeing some cfm data before stepping off the ledge, because the bike is running perfectly. I may just suffer the rest of the year and go for the full system this next year. Its miserable now, but during the winter, its real nice! lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey everyone. I have a 2018 fltrx, screaming eagle stage 1, stock pipes, v&h slip-ons. My calves are burning up from the heat this summer whether stop and go or continuous riding. Help! Please
M8 exhaust with the cat is definitely a Hottie, I find the right side is the "grill on high" side.

I Do Not recommend riding in your Daisy Dukes.... gonna sew some leather to the back of my leg. Good luck.!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The hd fan helps for stop and go, slow speed stuff but nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Try wearing boots and long pants instead of sandals and shorts. >:)

I wear ICON Elsinore 1000 leather boots with Kevlar Jeans and never feel heat on my calves.

The top of my legs are hotter from the sun than the part of my legs near the engine and exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
You can go with the full screamin eagle exhaust. This moves the CAT into the pipes themselves.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
You can try the heat shield from the below company. I put mine on a couple of days ago. I could tell the difference, but have not had to fully test it out yet. In the scheme of more pricey items, this might be an easy item to try. I do not know why the name and am not going to ask.

https://captain-itch.com/

Reactions: Desert Rider AZ

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had the exact same issue till we drilled out the cats from stock exhaust. Huge difference in heat, plus sounds great!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I'm not feeling any crazy amounts of heat from my 19. My 16 with no cat and a FP3 seemed hotter. Yet my wife had a burn mark from the vicinity of my Ventilator air cleaner what she took it out the other day. I have the 909s and the SEPST stage 1 download on it.

I also wear a tall boot and kevlar lined Jean's.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Remove the stock head pipes and replace with aftermarket, then retune with a quality fuel tuner.

I have stock head pipes on my 19' and have no issue, but I don't really go to places with "stop and go" traffic.
Need to consider not voiding your warranty. A non-HD tuner depending on dealer is doing just that. There is another thread discussing this issue.

·
Registered
927 Posts
On my 2016 I did not have the heat issue on my leg but overall heat radiating up to my core. I did a catless stage 1. Then I added the H-D deflectors and fan. Which has reduced the heat. I do recommend the deflectors and fan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts