Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I finally got permission from my CFO to pick up a lift table.

Lifts get expensive really fast.... but after doing allot of reading I decided to go with the HF one and spend the remaining funds on my winter mods :)

I know some folks bag on the HF table, but I think it will be enough for my minimal mechanical skills! Plus I just couldn't find a single first hand account of the table failing.

Other than the replacing the front wheel chock any other advice? Thinking I will want some type of scissors lift as well (not sure if HF sells them yet).

My first project is to take the forks off for PC'ing any advice how to best secure the bike while doing so?

Thanks
D.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
My buddy has a HF lift and likes it. Im looking into lift tables as well and was leaning towards that one myself but i decided i want an air operated table that wont break the bank. The search continues

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
My first project is to take the forks off for PC'ing any advice how to best secure the bike while doing so?
D.
I use a scissor jack under the front part of the frame. Tie down the back of the bike on each side. Raise the scissor jack till it just starts to take weight off the front and then loosen the wheel chock. Once you get the front elevated where you want it tie down the front of the bike on each side.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Made some 2x8 wings for mine so I can drive on. Put them away and get closer to the bike. Simple. I use a scissor jack from a VW with a cordless impact driver. Great lift for 4 years.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

Lifts get expensive really fast.... but after doing allot of reading I decided to go with the HF one and spend the remaining funds on my winter mods :)

I know some folks bag on the HF table, but I think it will be enough for my minimal mechanical skills! Plus I just couldn't find a single first hand account of the table failing.

Other than the replacing the front wheel chock any other advice? Thinking I will want some type of scissors lift as well (not sure if HF sells them yet).

Thanks
D.
NICE!!! Mine has not failed in 5+years and gets a lot of use!!!!! HF doesn't sell a good scissor lift, but Northern tool does......I also found a nice one off e-bay for less than $70.00........

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just picked one up for $300 at a weekend sale a couple of weeks ago. There is a coupon floating around in some of their 2-page ads in the bike/car mags for the same price, good through march I think

·
Registered
809 Posts

Thanks
D.
You will need a roll of non-skid tape or something like it for the ramp.

·
Banned
845 Posts

Thanks

D.

hey D, I have the latest HF newsletter that came out, got it in the mail today actually and there is a super coupon for 20% off any 1 item ( cant be used for jacks, tool chest, air comp., or items already on sale) but could be used on a different tire chalk, also the lift you want is on the back page, super coupon as well for $339 pic is below, in the very next post, just show them the pic and they will honor it

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My buddy has a HF lift and likes it. Im looking into lift tables as well and was leaning towards that one myself but i decided i want an air operated table that wont break the bank. The search continues
HF sells a air over hyd valve for about $ 50

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I would recomend getting the 2 yr warranty.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As far a failing the 1st time my bike was on it one of the welds didn't get all penetration to the floor (the door cut where the rear tire sits) and the rear of the bike fell through (about 4 inches) was a pita and had to get the wife to stand on the side so I could lift the rear of the bike back up. Also get some 1"solid round stock to replace the factory one (cant hold the weight of the bike)

I also made mine 6.5" wider on each side and put some braces under the window to support the rear tire.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of good info... thanks everyone.

thank you also for thinking about the sale / coupons. I did have a coupon that brought it down to 299 (from one of the bagger mags).

I didnt think much about the wheel door until you pointed it out. So... did the weight of the back just cause the wheel door to fail? pushing it through the lift deck?

I bought the black condor style wheel chock as well. Got the lift ready but need to mount the chock now. Anyone have some close up pictures of there wheel chock setup?

Now I just have to figure out the best way to secure the bike to the lift!

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The weld on one of the supports didn't penetrate the floor so it gave way. I also didn't like the way it would bow. that's why I installed the supports. If you want send me your e-mail and what pics you want and i'll send them to you (bike is one the lift right now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts