Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, pretty excited to buy a new 2021 RG Spec in the morning. About 2.5 ride from my house. But one thing just made me wonder a bit.

Well, i am coming off an Indian Chieftain. It has a power windshield. So the last 4 years in town the windshield was all the way down. On the high way just below my eyes.
So i have been riding around with zero head buffering. Super smooth riding.
But because I can’t sleep wondering about buying this bike in the morning. I’m asking myself. “So if you have to get a windshield that goes to about the tip of your nose and you should be OK” I’ve read about some people saying the newer faring has more turbulence. I am not sure if its a real issue that is mimimised with deflectors or not. I think the Special even has a couple on there.
I will find out when I test ride it before I buy it but I’m a little bit curious.

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,950 Posts
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Congrats on The New Glide.
I can’t give You first hand knowledge on The New Road Glide as mine is a 2012 but I have heard and read that the buffeting is much less with the new style fairing and vents.
I do believe You will have to change the windshield so give some consideration to Memphis Shades.
Best of Luck.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 roadglide cvo, black hole.
151 Posts
The stock windscreen is short, windscreens are like seats, some riders like the stock one some don't. Go for a ride it's a great bike you will probably change a few things to your preferred comfort enjoy.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum, like Jarrell stated, personal preference. Your ride home will give you an idea what you think you might want to do.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
The Rushmore fairing is a lot smother because of the vents. What size screen works for you depends on many factors. How long your torso is, what helmet you wear, what seat you chose, what handlebars you choose.

When I have my 14" recurve LRS shield on the bike I can wear an open face helmet with just a breeze hitting my face.

When I run the stock screen in the summer I wear a Full Face with the shield open unless the bugs are out. Then I have to close it to a crack.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
The newer fairing is much better than the older fairing. I run the CVO style windshield (if you want to call it that) in the summer and it is very low so I get nothing but clean air. If you want more wind protection then that is where buffeting might come into play as you need to find the right shield for you. Your helmet can also be a factor as I feel different levels of buffeting with different helmets that I wear with taller shields. I always leave the top vent open as it has the most impact on the buffeting also.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I’ve always thought the shortie windshield doesn’t give enough protection. If after riding you decide the same do a search here - TONS of info on that here.

Welcome to the forum & after you pick it up post a pic so we know you’re not a robot 😊!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Klockwerks has good information, lots of options and I like the 14" for the majority of my riding.
Thought mine was a pro tour but maybe they eliminated that for the 14" sport, not sure?

Everyone has a different take on it, enjoy. If you like the bike then you will easily find the sweet spot regarding air flow.

·
Super Moderator
4,433 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new ride, provided you like it after your test ride. Some solid advice has already been given. Hopefully you can make a good decision on your mods the 1st time around. The buffeting was noticeable enough for me to change the shield immediately. At Highway speeds the stock shield was useless. I went with the 6.5” Memphis Shades and I’m very happy with it. Many variables to what works for each individual when it comes to shields, seats and bars. GL with your decisions and enjoy making the bike yours.

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,134 Posts
As pointed out, you'll more than likely swap out the windshield for one better suited for you, as the stock one is short and more for styling. I use a Freedom shield that is a quality product.
I test drove a chieftain prior buying my RGS and found the opposite. Couldn't find a sweet spot with any windshield height to stop buffeting. That and heat off the motor stopped me from even considering the Indian.

Reactions: Jarrell

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,710 Posts
……..plus I’d be curious to hear how you like the RG compared to the Chieftan & why you didn’t go w the Challenger 👍
I'm interested in hearing about this opinion, as well.

OP - if you like the option of adjustable screens, then consider a Madstad system. It took me a while to get over the looks, but I ride in many situations and geographies, and having the ability to adjust the screen has been perfect for comfort in all situations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2020 Road Glide Special. I found the factory shield looked good, but did little else. I put a 15" Freedom shield on the bike, and am very happy with the wind management. I don't sit in a dead pocket of stillness, but rather a gentle flow of smooth air. If I was a cigar smoker, I have no doubt I could enjoy one on the bike. I am just over 5'11", and I can look comfortably over the shield. When I run my hand up, the wind is about an inch over the top of my helmet. I wear a half helmet a lot and my sun glasses sit still on my face with no issue.

I hope that helps!

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,282 Posts
Welcome to the forum, like Jarrell stated, personal preference. Your ride home will give you an idea what you think you might want to do.
Naw, he'll be way to busy grinning and enjoying the ride to think about those things today!

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,282 Posts
Hey, pretty excited to buy a new 2021 RG Spec in the morning. About 2.5 ride from my house. But one thing just made me wonder a bit.

Well, i am coming off an Indian Chieftain. It has a power windshield. So the last 4 years in town the windshield was all the way down. On the high way just below my eyes.
So i have been riding around with zero head buffering. Super smooth riding.
But because I can’t sleep wondering about buying this bike in the morning. I’m asking myself. “So if you have to get a windshield that goes to about the tip of your nose and you should be OK” I’ve read about some people saying the newer faring has more turbulence. I am not sure if its a real issue that is mimimised with deflectors or not. I think the Special even has a couple on there.
I will find out when I test ride it before I buy it but I’m a little bit curious.

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.
My standard advice is to ride it bone stock for a few weeks, including at least one all day ride. If you normally ride 2-up, then make sure to ride 2-up during the shake down runs. You'll figure out what works ergonomically and what doesn't. While some (most) feel a need to change the seat, others find the stock one to be just fine. Same with handlebars, back rest, windshield, etc. One guy's pleasure ride is another guy's agony. You'll figure it out, the more you ride it.

You've found the best HD forum on the planet, and you're about to purchase the best touring bike the MoCo makes, so all I can say is "Welcome" from SW Florida and enjoy both.

·
Registered
2020 River Rock RGS “Stage 1, Legends, Rockford, Ciro3D, Saddlemen, FXR Motorwitch Bars”
115 Posts
Congrats on the bike! I ran the stock for a month or so trying to decide which shield to get and it really wasn’t that bad. I decided on a 14” freedom shield so it’s about as tall as just under my nose when sitting upright and it deflects a lot more wind but truthfully I didn’t notice a huge difference between the two. Of course like everyone else I’m swapping damn near everything on the bike to make it my own comfy machine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm interested in hearing about this opinion, as well.

OP - if you like the option of adjustable screens, then consider a Madstad system. It took me a while to get over the looks, but I ride in many situations and geographies, and having the ability to adjust the screen has been perfect for comfort in all situations.
Maybe it's a CDN thing (haha) but I loved my Madstad on my bike. I liked the look, but its personal preference and I've always been quality over a looks kinda guy. Good luck with the new bike and making it fit your needs/riding style.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts