Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pa.

I am in the Madstad camp. Tons of adjustability and the look grow on you. (First i had the only roadglide around, then the only one that had a Madstad. Now i see roadglides everywhere and now some with Madstads... WTH...LOL)

I am on a 2013, so no help on the new fairings.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Its not just the wind shield. Its also the lack of lowers and all the air that they block. you put a big windshield on a Special, and it creates a void behind the shield. The air from below the fairing rushes in to fill it. Its not like riding with the oem shield, but its enough to make you want to tie your beard down.

·
Registered
My other wife loves my '17 FLTRU too!
172 Posts
Welcome aboard. I have a '17 Ultra with the 16" window. I can wear front facing baseball cap at 80 mph and not lose it.
No issues other than I don't like looking through the windshield. Ran that until last week.
I picked up a 14" windvest windshield. I can wear a front facing baseball cap at 80 mph and not lose it. :cool: No issues at all.

Like others have said; you'll figure it out. Good luck and enjoy!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Second on Freedom Shields touring windshield! I’m on my second Road Glide and that’s one of the first purchases I made for my RG Special. If you go to their website, follow the instructions on measuring for your size. If you do it the way the site recommends, you won’t have any buffeting. Hands down the clearest material to look through, as it’s thicker and better construction than most others on the market.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Little late, but here is my take. I drove mine 500 miles home on the 2nd day of ownership. By far the seat was worse then the shield. The shield was bad also. I got my face sandblasted for 500 miles.
Got a new seat, Thanks again Bevis, and for the delivery Bob! New Windvest shield is on. Need the rain to stop now

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
Get a Madstad. They're adjustable. Last shied you'll buy.
Welcome to the forum.

Attachments

Reactions: DanHappy

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,786 Posts
I'm interested in hearing about this opinion, as well.

OP - if you like the option of adjustable screens, then consider a Madstad system. It took me a while to get over the looks, but I ride in many situations and geographies, and having the ability to adjust the screen has been perfect for comfort in all situations.
I have air suspension, if I start to get buffeting I just dump some air till I am in the sweet spot again 😁 Paired with my 12" Klockwerks it works great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
……..plus I’d be curious to hear how you like the RG compared to the Chieftan & why you didn’t go w the Challenger 👍
Riding the RG Spec was really sweet. Buffering was the wrong word for me to use. The RG Spec felt like it was smooth like ice skating. Little buffering. Super solid. But with the short height windshield the wind coming at my head was a little more than i would like. But it was not that bad. Going to get a bit higher windshield with bit of a curve. I enjoyed riding it home a lot. I love the Chieftain. Super smooth and powerful but kinda over the flat black paint quite a bit. The Challenge is doing well in the king of the baggers but the looks of it does little for me. Just not a fan. Road Glide Spec way cooler looking bike too me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
We did try a clockwork solid black addt the dealer but it was too high i could not really see over it that well. On the way home the wind was about at the upper part of my head. The dealer is sending me a 9” Memphis shade that has bit of a curve. So that might hit the spot. Definitely do not want to be looking thru the windshield. I was doing that once when it started raining and was terrible trying to look around the windshield in heavy traffic If the 9” Memphis is not the ticket i will get a Madstad. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
See if your dealer has some windshields you can try out before you ride home. I beleive most dealers keep a variety of different size HD windshields available for that purpose.
There you go. Most dealers have demo shields you can try. SG/RG are about looks. So they come with short almost worthless shields to look cool. The 07 RG came with a real windshield that work great but many pulled it off and put a little 6 inch on to look cooler. And HD followed that trend.
The right shield is the cure if you have issues. There is no one magic cure on the market.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
For instance on my chieftain the wind whipping around the tank was pretty present. But it didn’t bother me too much but I could still feel it pretty good. With the Road glide big fix fairy I don’t really feel any whipping around on the sides just a little bit of my head. I’m short so I can put two big of a windshield on there but I still want to be able to see over it not through it it. A little bit would be OK to look through it if I want to do it on purpose but I still want the option to look over it. But the clock works that we tried yesterday with solid black and it was just a bit too high for me. The Memphis shade that they’re sending me it’s a little bit curved so I’m optimistic it’s going to hit the spot. But it’s also solid black. I bought the bike over 200 miles from my house so I don’t really want to stay there all day but there’s a Harley dealer near where I live that I can go for a run over there and check out demo wind shields.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
A picture would make us believe you actually bought a new bike 😎😳

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome from NC and congrats on the purchase! Also remember that Klockwerks and other vendors make multiple sizes of windshields, whereas the dealer may have only had one size on hand to demo. Your best bet is to follow the procedures on how to measure for it on your bike, with your seat, so you get one that fits you the best. Enjoy and many happy miles riding!

P.S. I actually have two. A Klockwerks 14" sport flare for putzin around town and shorter rides, and an 16" LRS Stingray for long touring trips. Both have a curve but the Klockwerks comes back further with the dimensions of the bike, whereas the LRS almost goes straight up to block more of the wind. My .02$

·
Registered
2020 River Rock RGS “Stage 1, Legends, Rockford, Ciro3D, Saddlemen, FXR Motorwitch Bars”
115 Posts
My personal opinion because I was sold on Indian before I actually looked at them in person is that Harley just feels and looks way more sturdy and complete. I was only sold on them prior just from the options of them seeming to have a little more for the money off the top. The feel of the Indian in person is extremely plastic feeling and cheap looking as opposed to Harley. Also the experience as far as the customer service was vastly different but I think that’s because I went to an exceptional Harley dealership because at the larger store in the same city I didn’t really like the experience there either. Mind you I didn’t take either bike for a test ride as I wasn’t confident enough to take a bagger out in the traffic we have here in Vegas. But just the ergonomics I wasn’t a huge fan of and I also feel like in this heat there’s a lot of parts that will need replacing in the next few years.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts