Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey, pretty excited to buy a new 2021 RG Spec in the morning. About 2.5 ride from my house. But one thing just made me wonder a bit.

Well, i am coming off an Indian Chieftain. It has a power windshield. So the last 4 years in town the windshield was all the way down. On the high way just below my eyes.
So i have been riding around with zero head buffering. Super smooth riding.
But because I can’t sleep wondering about buying this bike in the morning. I’m asking myself. “So if you have to get a windshield that goes to about the tip of your nose and you should be OK” I’ve read about some people saying the newer faring has more turbulence. I am not sure if its a real issue that is mimimised with deflectors or not. I think the Special even has a couple on there.
I will find out when I test ride it before I buy it but I’m a little bit curious.

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.
The stock windshield is great but noisy for a rider my height 6 ft 1 in a FF helmet. For a rider 5 ft 9 or shorter it’s perfect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 19 Road Glide with the stock windshield and have not experienced any wind buffeting. I am 6'3 and I do wear a full face helmet which I believe makes a huge difference. The bike is straight as an arrow at high speeds. I would definitely look into bars. I absolute dig the set up I have which is Thrashin supply bars and risers.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
676 Posts
Bought my wife an RGS 107 in 2017 she traded it with the stock windshield With 16 k on the OD this past Spring.She now has a 21 CVO RG 1k service ordered a stock S windshield vs the non existent CVO screen I admire her ride and see attitude.I have a 2020 S 5k on the OD stock screen is fine .I wear silicone ear plugs no issue, tunes and talk just fine just a lot less wind.Congrats

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
We did try a clockwork solid black addt the dealer but it was too high i could not really see over it that well. On the way home the wind was about at the upper part of my head. The dealer is sending me a 9” Memphis shade that has bit of a curve. So that might hit the spot. Definitely do not want to be looking thru the windshield. I was doing that once when it started raining and was terrible trying to look around the windshield in heavy traffic If the 9” Memphis is not the ticket i will get a Madstad. Thanks!
in ref to looking over or through the shield, remember, you are supposed to be looking down the road, not 3 inches in front of you. so, if you're looking too close in front of your bike, you're going to be looking through the shield. but, if you are looking down the road like your supposed to, you'll find that sweet spot for which shield to get.

the reason i bring this up, i have a 12'' long ride shield. i'm very short, barely hit 5'3-1/2'', and the 12 lrs is a perfect height for me, even with the thin cvo style solo seats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Not sure if my Memphis Shades 10” or not
The parts guy rapidly flipped thru pages in the book came up and said I think one’s gonna work for you.
The package says it’s only 8.5” but it seems like its at least 12. I’m only 5’8” tall but I can see over this one. If draw straight line to the tip of the windshield top it will show my nose is just a little bit above it. I think its going to work okay. I don’t really dig the look that much. But I guess that curve really does push the air up.

·
Registered
2020 River Rock RGS “Stage 1, Legends, Rockford, Ciro3D, Saddlemen, FXR Motorwitch Bars”
115 Posts
Not sure if my Memphis Shades 10” or not
The parts guy rapidly flipped thru pages in the book came up and said I think one’s gonna work for you.
The package says it’s only 8.5” but it seems like its at least 12. I’m only 5’8” tall but I can see over this one. If draw straight line to the tip of the windshield top it will show my nose is just a little bit above it. I think its going to work okay. I don’t really dig the look that much. But I guess that curve really does push the air up. View attachment 428559
I’ve been considering getting another shield, I personally kinda dig that look myself! You ever check out freedom shields? That’s what I got now and i can see over it and also thru it pretty well if I need to.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I’m not sure what buffeting really is, I presume it’s wind that gets caught up under the windscreen or fairing and blows up at you. I have never had this on my 2018 RGS. However, there have been times when I feel like I am getting pushed around a little. I’m pretty sure it’s from winds blowing across the freeway, especially when riding through more open canyon like areas. I have encountered this many times on the same stretch of road and many other times, riding the same stretch of road without this effect. So, I have come to the conclusion that there are some breezy, windy days that just affect my ride. That said, I have never had an issue with wind coming up and blowing my helmet up.
Probably doesn’t help much, but I thought I would share.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The stock windshield is great but noisy for a rider my height 6 ft 1 in a FF helmet. For a rider 5 ft 9 or shorter it’s perfect.
Road Glides are and have always been noted for head buffeting by most riders. The problem is that the factory outfits Road Glides with a short windscreen that looks "cool" BUT is not functional. You will probably have to invest in a much taller windscreen to help get rid of the buffeting.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.
Most of the aftermarket shields with a curve at the top will tell you that the curve will deflect wind about 2" higher than the top of the shield which should mean the wind is over the top of your helmet. The one shield that is different is the Windvest shield. It has considerably more curve on the top of their shields and they claim it will deflect wind 4" over the top of the shield. If you ride 2 up frequently, the Windvest shield can also provide less buffeting for your passenger due to the extra height of the deflected wind. It may not matter to you if you rarely have a passenger.
I am 5'9" and have a 12" Freedom shield on my 17 RGS. I also have the GADS aftermarket wind deflectors that sit just outside the stock Harley under tank wind deflectors. With both style wind deflectors I have almost no buffeting. I think you can still get the GADS on ebay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also 5'9" and have a 13" Freedom Shield Touring. Had the same problem with the wind coming up from my knee area and creating turbulence at my head. I just eliminated 85% of it at 60 MPH using a combination of Glide Air Deflector System (GADS) RGB, Amazon Rudyness Black Lower Triple Tree Wind Deflector, and the HD Road Glide Wind Deflector Kit.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I have a number of different sizes and brands.
The best for my liking have been the LRS 9” and 13” shields. I like the 9” during the summer and the 13” during the winter. Seat height makes a difference along with the shield so you will have to figure that out on your own. Good luck

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
As delivered, the Special and Custom might as well be naked as far as head buffet. They might actually be worse than naked.

Put a correctly sized wind shield on them, and they ain't half bad.

But if you ride a Special or custom with a correctly sized wind shield, then put that shield on an Ultra, the difference is night and day. The lowers are just as important to managing air flow as the wind shield.

·
Registered
2019 fltru
912 Posts
Hey, pretty excited to buy a new 2021 RG Spec in the morning. About 2.5 ride from my house. But one thing just made me wonder a bit.

Well, i am coming off an Indian Chieftain. It has a power windshield. So the last 4 years in town the windshield was all the way down. On the high way just below my eyes.
So i have been riding around with zero head buffering. Super smooth riding.
But because I can’t sleep wondering about buying this bike in the morning. I’m asking myself. “So if you have to get a windshield that goes to about the tip of your nose and you should be OK” I’ve read about some people saying the newer faring has more turbulence. I am not sure if its a real issue that is mimimised with deflectors or not. I think the Special even has a couple on there.
I will find out when I test ride it before I buy it but I’m a little bit curious.

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.
i did not really see a difference-i had 2011 cvo with madstat which i loved-on the 2019 the wind felt about the same-i put lower long ride shield on.my thought was it is a motorcycle,enjoy the wind.had a friend who always complained of the buffeting-never happy-he bought new 2021 vette-now he is happy-some people are meant for a cage-enjoy the ride

41 - 58 of 58 Posts