Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question:

The RG I'm looking at is 1998 with carb. I was looking for fuel injection. I had hear of the issue that plague SOME of the FI models, but is there a good aftermarket FI system that can retrofit? if so, is it even worth it? I can do all the work myself since I am a Honda/Seadoo Mech. What is entailed and will the original wireharness support it for plug and play? Guys says the carb set up gives him +-45 MPGs. I have hear that the FI gets 50 MPGs... true/false?

Need answers soon so I can call the seller back. Thanks guys. hoping to ride with the sharks very soon!

·
Registered
852 Posts
The early FI units (Magnetti/Morellie or something) were a bit problematic. Later FI (Delphi) is pretty reliable. I've seen 50 MPG on my 96" FI with a tuner, but only on the BRP where the speed limit is 45 mph. Current 103 with a tuner is around 42mpg on average. Changing from carb to EFI won't be plug and play. Probably need a wrecked EFI bike of the same year to economically switch over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The early FI units (Magnetti/Morellie or something) were a bit problematic. Later FI (Delphi) is pretty reliable. I've seen 50 MPG on my 96" FI with a tuner, but only on the BRP where the speed limit is 45 mph. Current 103 with a tuner is around 42mpg on average. Changing from carb to EFI won't be plug and play. Probably need a wrecked EFI bike of the same year to economically switch over.
thanks for the quick reply. Looks like the MPGs are within the ballpark. I may just stick with the carb. the owner said he put some sort of adjustable jet in it from HD. He also has screamin eagle slip ons. I have never heard of the adjustable jets??... only jets to change for tuning.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Congrats on the new beasties. If you are going to re-jet the carbie look at Yost kits the are good I put there carbie kit on my 96 Heritage and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I personaly like the carb model bikes but would trash the CV carb for a Mikuni. I run a Mikuni on my 94 Heritage, you'll get better cold starts, throttle response is much better and you can get better fuel milage if tuned correctly. Every bike I've had with CV carb was changed to Mikuni. I prefer them over the S&S which can be tempormental. JMHO

·
Registered
605 Posts
Uh......don't go looking for ''cams'' in that bike or trying to fit a gear drive. Or replacing the tensioners.

The 1998 Road Glide was the first year of the newly named tourer with frame-mounted fairing, replacing the defunct Tour Glide and it's an 80 cubic inch EVO. the only Evo Roadie. One cam. No tensioners. Easy to work on. Nice score!

Make sure it has a Torrington camshaft bearing (the INA fitted to some Evos can grenade, ESPECIALLY if aftermarket camshaft has been fitted) and you are set. Replace lifters with stock factory lifters from the dealership every 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been enjoying the ride. The owner gave me all the stock take off parts. I had to put the stock seat back on because touring seat was a but much (I will save it for the overnight rides). There seems to be a small leak coming from the front of the primary area. I am investigating it but have not been able to pinpoint it yet. It seems to run very smooth, but the oil pressure drops after it gets hot. It starts out around 15 to 20, but once its good and hot after a long ride, it looks like its under 10 at idle.

quick question: are the side covers and fenders on all touring models the same... up to what year? I was thinking of slowly finding black parts and pieces on ebay to change it to a black Road Glide. I was also thinking of changing out he fairing bracket so I and add lowers as well but that is all later down the road. I'm broke for a while after this purchase. broke and happy!:grin:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd stick with the carb. Not much ROI on going EFI on that bike. You'd get more bang for your buck with gear drive for the cams. Definitely check out all of your tensioners, Cam and Primary.
Well, I was thinking of converting it back to EFI at first just for the convenience and efficiency but after all the threads I have read, I think I'll keep the carb.

·
Premium Member
6,253 Posts
quick question: are the side covers and fenders on all touring models the same... up to what year? I was thinking of slowly finding black parts and pieces on ebay to change it to a black Road Glide. I was also thinking of changing out he fairing bracket so I and add lowers as well but that is all later down the road. I'm broke for a while after this purchase. broke and happy!:grin:
here you go. you can answer your own question, plus about 5,000 more that are sure to pop up.

OEM Parts Finder Granite State Harley-Davidson Lebanon, NH (603) 448-4664

I don't know how much you know about hd part numbers, but if you have something that looks like xxxxx-98, those last 2 digits are the year the part was introduced. so if you have a 2015, and it has a part number like that, then chances are, it hasn't been changed since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
here you go. you can answer your own question, plus about 5,000 more that are sure to pop up.

OEM Parts Finder Granite State Harley-Davidson Lebanon, NH (603) 448-4664

I don't know how much you know about hd part numbers, but if you have something that looks like xxxxx-98, those last 2 digits are the year the part was introduced. so if you have a 2015, and it has a part number like that, then chances are, it hasn't been changed since.
Got it. Good to know. I was looking at the part numbers and I was thinking that may be the case for the year numbers. I am new to Harley, and this is my first. I have owned several other brands in the past and other manufacturers have a different way of using their parts numbering system. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.