Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, help me out. 19 RGU. 24000 miles. Michelin Commander III tires. Took a four day road trip the weekend before last and the bike was perfect. Ran and rode great. Over this weekend I removed fork covers and replaced with lighted for covers. Same type. Fender is tight and fairing went back on perfectly. Rode to work today and I’m getting a buzzing in the bars. Can’t feel it on the fairing, just the bars. All the way up and down. I also noticed a slight humming maybe from the tires. I also noticed if I weave back and forth it goes away when I’m off center. Straighten back up and it’s buzzy again. This is around 70-80 mph on the freeway. I honestly don’t think it’s any of the work I did but you never know.

For those of you that had issues with the C3 tires, can you tell me if this is what you felt? Both tires are at proper psi. I have about 8000 miles on them and they have been great up to this point. I looked at the tires and bearings and did not notice anything unusual. I felt the bearings and neither were hot after riding home. I’m thinking tires. Maybe I flogged them a little too hard in the Colorado twisties. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
What's the date code on the tires? What you are describing is what a detective Commander 3 will do. Almost like riding on rumble strips.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hmmmm.....I just had my forks off for a service. I hope these 'gotcha's' will at least help you eliminate some potentials:
- Did you leave the lower fork slider axle pinch bolt loose while you torqued the axle nut? This is required.
- After performing the above, did you push the lower right fork slider against the axle spacer (pinch bolt side) while you tighten the pinch bolt before applying final torque to the pinch bolt itself? If not; the spacer could have a gap and the wheel could literally be allowed to track off center when you lean....causing the vibrations.
- Did you verify the fork clamps (trees) pinch bolts are torqued? Bottom two first and then the top at the bars.
- Did one of your fork legs slide up in the clamps and is now lightly touching the handlebar base? Doubt this one.

Does the harmonic go away when you lean if you apply the brakes....just a slight grab to load the discs......don't crash?

I can't imaging all was good until you did something and now it's bad. Sounds like you induced a change. I'm local in Deer Valley if you want to chat or just reply back here. I have Michelin Commander II's. Maybe we can swap wheels quickly as a trial before you go to a shop. You may know all of this already and apologies if I'm reiterating.

Watching for your response.......

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These for covers go on to the fender bolts. The only thing that comes loose is the fender. Did one side at a time just like I did before. Hard to imagine that it’s the issue but maybe it is. The buzzing goes away when I weave back and forth in the lane.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This doesn’t feel like rumble strips but more like a sonic care toothbrush. A mild buzzing but definitely noticeable.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
It's your tire, guaranteed. Rumble strips will induce a vibrating feeling if you go over enough of them, but a sonic care toothbrush is close enough. We are describing the same thing. It vibrates and once you put a lean on the bike either way the feeling goes away. Tires, r replace them both.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bummer. Seems odd that after 8000 miles they would do this but I guess it could happen. I don’t see how messing with the fender could cause this but I think I’ll loosen and retighten just to see if that does anything. The fender is flexible so it wouldn’t pull the forks out of whack. I would think.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Never had/ or heard of that particular gremlin but hope ya figure it out! I did once have a Metzler front go bad at 6k(?) on my old ‘78 wing ; shop were I bought it replaced it after contactin manufacturers. GOOD LUCK

Reactions: azgrumbles

·
Registered
330 Posts
So I had the same problem. Installed new C3 f&r. Driving home very slight buzz/vibration in bars between 30and 40mph. When you bank l or r it goes away. Wheels bearing are new.
I called Michelin and started a case. They called the dealership and they ordered a new front tire. On backorder. Finally came in. Installed no change what so ever. Same issue.

The original date code was about the same week as yours. The new one is about 25/20.

The other thing for me is my r/rotor drags a little and that might be a cause. If not, the issue doesn’t out weight the benefits of the performance of the C3.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
So I had the same problem. Installed new C3 f&r. Driving home very slight buzz/vibration in bars between 30and 40mph. When you bank l or r it goes away. Wheels bearing are new.
I called Michelin and started a case. They called the dealership and they ordered a new front tire. On backorder. Finally came in. Installed no change what so ever. Same issue.

The original date code was about the same week as yours. The new one is about 25/20.

The other thing for me is my r/rotor drags a little and that might be a cause. If not, the issue doesn’t out weight the benefits of the performance of the C3.
So the new replacement tire did the same thing?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I loosened my fender bolts this morning and wiggled the fender around. Made sure it was straight and tightened down again. Checked tires, 36/40. Rode to work and it’s still buzzing. If I weave back and forth it goes away. Problem is, I’ve had these almost 6 months. Gonna call Michelin.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I loosened my fender bolts this morning and wiggled the fender around. Made sure it was straight and tightened down again. Checked tires, 36/40. Rode to work and it’s still buzzing. If I weave back and forth it goes away. Problem is, I’ve had these almost 6 months. Gonna call Michelin.
During your 6 months have you always ridden around the exact same places that you feel it now? Certain road finishes during certain speeds will amplify and or change the feeling.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
During your 6 months have you always ridden around the exact same places that you feel it now? Certain road finishes during certain speeds will amplify and or change the feeling.
Yes. I commute on the same route.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Called Michelin. There is a known issue and they are trying to figure it out. They said to go through my tire shop and they can file a claim. Tires have a 6 year warranty. Called my tire shop and they want to rebalance first then maybe give me a new set. Don’t think I wanna do that. Maybe bite the bullet and get something else. I’m really disappointed.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts