Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 2012 FLTRU. Am 6'1" and a big guy... I just ordered 12" Paul Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes and the sales guy says they actually measure in the range 13 3/8"... something about pipe fitter's measuring standards...
Anyway, I am finding that I am definitely going to need to extend cables and wires and need to know what is the best option... I really don't like the idea of cutting factory wires so any options and/or advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Some say you can use all your stock cables and wires with bars up to 14" by rerouting everything. I personally went with a cable kit from LAchoppers and a wire kit from namz. Everything is still in the stock locations

·
Registered
852 Posts
You do not need to extend wires. I would use an SE TBW or cut out the green plug and solder the wires. I would go with a +4 clutch to keep the stock routing. I would go with a +4 brake line. I did 12" yaffe MBB on my streetglide and 12" buky odysseys on the roadglide. I would use magnum sterling chromite cables if you like that look. Technically you don't need longer cables but it looks better with the stock routing.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
My stock brake line reached just fine on my khromewerks 2+2 sweepers , I did replace the clutch cable with a +4 one so I could route the stock way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My stock brake line reached just fine on my khromewerks 2+2 sweepers , I did replace the clutch cable with a +4 one so I could route the stock way.
I am hoping to be able to do the same... My quote from the HD dealer is $300 and up depending on which style of cables I decide on and I am on tight budget with the wife...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You do not need to extend wires. I would use an SE TBW or cut out the green plug and solder the wires. I would go with a +4 clutch to keep the stock routing. I would go with a +4 brake line. I did 12" yaffe MBB on my streetglide and 12" buky odysseys on the roadglide. I would use magnum sterling chromite cables if you like that look. Technically you don't need longer cables but it looks better with the stock routing.
rg_dave - the se tbw, did you get that from Guerilla? I am really nervous about cutting and soldering as it seems that would open a can of worms fro problems with the throttle?
Sorry if that is a stupid thought, just nervous about the process...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, got the fairing off today... I don't have the new bars yet and haven't ordered cables yet. I am falling in love with the black pearl line form Magnum and for the price, am thinking that may be the ones... +4 on brake and clutch as suggested.

will post some picks and updates as the project continues... we have probably 6-8 weeks before riding weather returns here. Great project for 10 degrees with heavy snow and 50 mph wind gusts today!:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next question... with an ABS system, what all do I need to buy as concerns the ABS? I see that there are lower, middle, and top line kits for the ABS... am I only extending the the brake line from the handlebars or do I have to buy them all?

I know that if I go with a chromite or other braided kit, it will not all match on the front brakes if I don't buy them all (if I don't have to change them all at once) but if I can make a second project down the road, that is the way I will be doing it?

Thanks again for all of the help... to everyone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
26 Posts
This might be a stupid question, and forgive me if it is, but I am awaiting a response from magnum... Do I have to buy all three of the brake line sections? If not, which ones to I have to have, hoping to be able to add the others at a later time...

I am doing the same thing.

What three sections are you talking about?

You need the extended ABS Upper Brake line which works with the, Required ABS Mid brake line (master-ABS controller) and a clutch line; that's it. its about $260-275 in lines. There are extra lines due to the linked braking I guess, and however confident I feel about DIY I am going to pass it off to a tech that's done these many times before; too new a bike to go wrenching around on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. The third one is the designer lower. I just wasn't sure if I needed to replace that one with the other two, especially as it is the most expensive component.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So cables are ordered... I ordered the black pearl from Magnum. Ordered the TBW plug-n-play style form Namz... Should have the bars tomorrow according to UPS, up to 2 weeks on the cables (assuming that Magnum's website is correct as concerns the manufacturing and shipping).

Can't wait! still haven't found anyone else who is running the Yaffe Classic Bagger Apes...:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So... won't be putting Bagger Nation bars on the bike after all... They have decided, after sending 10" bars instead of 12's that they won't issue a return order so if I want the ones I initially asked for, I will be forced to pay the return shipping for their mistake and then, I will have to pay the $47 to ship the correct ones in addition which will put me up $300 for a set of OEM Classic Bagger Apes which retail for $134...

Which bars to look at now??? guess I will be changing gears and plans seeing as how my +4 clutch and brake lines are scheduled for delivery tomorrow!:mad:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
So... won't be putting Bagger Nation bars on the bike after all... They have decided, after sending 10" bars instead of 12's that they won't issue a return order so if I want the ones I initially asked for, I will be forced to pay the return shipping for their mistake and then, I will have to pay the $47 to ship the correct ones in addition which will put me up $300 for a set of OEM Classic Bagger Apes which retail for $134...

Which bars to look at now??? guess I will be changing gears and plans seeing as how my +4 clutch and brake lines are scheduled for delivery tomorrow!:mad:

That is some shitty stuff right there. That sucks bro. I met Yaffe once last summer. Seemed like an alright guy. I guess business wise not so much. Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree... I have loved his work for a long time. Sales was great until I got off work today and had a message from them on my voicemail. Basically the salesman won't fess up to the mistake on the original order and because of that, "his manager won't issue the return..." so if I want what I ordered, its all on me... go figure...

Any suggestions for a sweet looking bar that is less than $200???

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
What a board certified DICK! that's horrible biz, I don't know if you will like these but I put on Khromewerks 2+2 sweepers and I love them, they look really good on the sharks, a lot of guys here have them, got them on amazon for 84.00 bucks shipped, cant wait to ride and try them out on a long ride. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts