Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what size brake and clutch cable I would need for 12" oem monkey bars on a 2010 road glide?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I don't think that you will need new cables or wiring extensions. I did a set of 12" KhromeWerks with no changes. Chainsaw said that stock cables were good for up tp 14" if I remember

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I put 14" Santees apes(look about the same height as the 12" Monkey bars)
on my 2010 and only got a +4 inch clutch cable so I could route it the same as from the factory.
Dont think you will need any new cables, but if you want to route the clutch cable the same as stock, i recommend getting a +4" cable.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Let us know what Frodoe said. I have the 10" in my garage and might go with the 12" if I can eliminate the cables.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
You guys can do it!
Slowglide has the same bars as I do, Santees 14" apes, and he used the stock clutch and brake line. He just rerouted the clutch behind the triple tree instead of in the factory mounting location attached to the tach and Speedo gauge Cluster.
I wanted mine in the factory location and didnt want the clutch to pull when turning the bars etc. so just went with a +4" clutch cable, just to be safe.
All stock wiring harnesses are good to probably at least 15" apes.
It can be done!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
From Frodoe post:
"Yesterday I pulled my ride apart, did some wire work I wanted and broke her down for the 12" Monkey bar install.

Day 2 I started the wire pull. Now pay close attention, after purchasing wire extention kit from yaffie. I noticed no TBW kit, called Paul and in his own arrogant way let me know it was not needed, I asked why he sold it to me? Well dude was right I pulled all the wires using all the stock covers, had my wife help keep pressure on wires as I fished, took a few hours with some WD and KY on right, dry for left. Reroughted clutch and brake line. To see how it handles without extending. I'll keep ya up to date. Now remember I'm a disablied dude with a bad back and bumb legs. If I can do it Anyone can. Oh yea, did I mention I got anger issues? Well didn't have to lose my cool. Merry Christmas all and God Bless you all, your bro Frodoe"
Also from Frodoe"You do not need to extend your wires, You can use your Stock wrap. You can keep clutch and brake line Just take clutch from center of forks to side, for your brake line cut the zip tie and let it run freely. "
And from NCBeast "Paul (Yaffe) has told me several time through email that the stock wires and cables are long enough to go up to 12"
hope that helps guys. i

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You don't need um

I ran my clutch between the front down tubes and cut the zip ties, I also twisted the brake and now it stays along side the bottom of the bar on it's own and looks custom with no ties. The clutch will rub your speedo housing but only jogging around to turn the bike around (Sharp) turns in your shop. other than that it's fine when you ride, and you don't have all that extra cable to zip tie. That kind of defets the purpose of the looks when it comes to the bars.
Oh yah I have the cables sitting in a box, so if I really did need them I'd of put them on when I had my ride apart.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Cool thanks. I'm waiting for the Dr. to give me a ETA on a set of black 12". Looks like I'll have a set of new black 10"s for sale soon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a 2008 RG...Will the oem brake line work with 12" bars?

The bars are Todd`s Striper Apes.

If I recall one of the years have longer lines, anyone done this on an 08?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried running the clutch cable several ways, but it is catching on the bolt head on side of fork. With the 12" bars does anyone have a suggestion on what length cluth cable to get? Everthing else worked out fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts