Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the riding time from the eastern entrance to Yosemite on HWY 120 to the western entrance at Oak Flat?

I scored a reservation at a campsite in Yosemite NP Memorial Day week. The last time I was there was in August of 1962 when I was 10 months old. That trip didn't make much of a lasting impression on me, but 50 years later I am really looking forward to this one.

Coming in from the east, overnighting in Tonopah prior to my arrival and if the pass is closed I have a 282 mile ELEVEN HOUR ride south and back up to the west entrance at Oak Flat. I'm hoping the road is clear in late May and that direct route on 120 will save a lot of time.

Anyone know the road and area?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Last time we did it was 3 yrs ago, it took us about 3.5 hours, but we were stopping for pics, and a bag lunch at the river......that is IF 120 is open, good luck with that.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's more like it. Just gotta hope it's open.

50 states at age 50, eh? Very cool. I had 49 at age 49, still have to get Alaska. That trip will have to wait until I retire, though. I'm envious of you, congrats!!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I grew up in Merced county, so Yosemite was about an hr and a half from me. Spent alot of time there as a kid. That, my friend, is Gods country!!!!. Im envious, id love to be on two wheels through the park. Caltrans does keep good, up to date records of the road conditions, you shouldnt have any surprises. Have fun :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I live in 6 miles from Merced now and about 76 miles from Yosemite. The pass has been open this year and up until days ago we have not gotten any snow in the mountains. They just got hammered the last couple days with about 20 or so inches. Hard to tell how it will be in May. Last year we had a huge amount of snow, this year not so much.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I rode strait through one time a few years back and it only took around 1 1/2 to 2 hrs of riding time if I remember right.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Tioga Pass has no date entered for closed. Reports also have said it's open. Very unusual but they haven't been getting a lot of snow this year.
If you click on the SR 120, it brings up another page. It say that it is closed from Crane Flats to 5 miles West of 395.....and so on.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any of you folks out that want to hook up and ride while I'm out there, let me know. I want to try and work in a day trip to Sequoia/ Kings Canyon. I've got a large camp site with no neighbors close, probably be just me if someone wants to pitch a tent. Y'all could teach me how to use those dadgum California gas pumps, I HATE those backsplashin' things!
:eek:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Any of you folks out that want to hook up and ride while I'm out there, let me know. I want to try and work in a day trip to Sequoia/ Kings Canyon. I've got a large camp site with no neighbors close, probably be just me if someone wants to pitch a tent. Y'all could teach me how to use those dadgum California gas pumps, I HATE those backsplashin' things!
:eek:
Kings Canyon is a sweet ride!!!

Here's Sequoia in late-April 2010.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess I better bring along my Widder 'Lectric gear, eh?

That looks great, I'm really looking forward to this trip. May never get back out that way, I want to make it count.

·
Registered
556 Posts
There's some good info here. I hope to ride Tioga pass again someday too. I hope it's open for you. Post some pics of the trip when you get the chance.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Guess I better bring along my Widder 'Lectric gear, eh?

That looks great, I'm really looking forward to this trip. May never get back out that way, I want to make it count.
Yep, bring the electric gear, it can get cold over the passes any time of year.

Yosemite is a great ride, be sure to take the road to Glacier Point. For my money, it's the most spectacular view in the park, and thats sayin' something in an area that has some of the most amazing scenery on the planet. If, as you say, you may never get back that way, it is worth the extra time.

Hope the pass is open for you, kinda iffy that time of year, depends on how much winter snow they get.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tioga Pass opened yesterday (7 May 12), earliest opening date since 1987. As of now I'm officially excited, 16 days and a wakeup before I head west.

YEEEEEEEE-HOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

·
Registered
55 Posts
We were just up there this weekend. We stayed in Bishop. 120 was closed but supposed to open this weekend. A very nice side trip was North on hwy 6 West on 120 take the Crowley lake120 route back to 395 Gorgeous scenery no traffic. Then go north on 395 to June lake loop Some great lake views and a spectacular waterfall. Don't forget to have lunch at Schats in Bishop.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the tips. I highlighted that run on my Cal state map. Sure wish there was an eastern entrance to King's Canyon/ Sequoia NP's. Would sure like to day trip down there via 395. It looks like it'd take too many hours to loop down the western side and back up to the camp in YNP. It'll probably be 4 or 5 years before I make my way to that part of Cal again on a tour.

So tell me more about Schats. What's special about it?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Schats has the best fresh baked bread made with the purest water in the country. They make huge sandwiches with fresh ingredients ( I like the Mule Kick). We are going up there again in 2 weeks with the t-bag so we can bring some bread back. The weather was great just cool in the mornings. I don't think you should need heated gear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts