Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7,522 Posts
I am not a fan of lane splitting myself and I do ride in CA pretty often. I can see the advantages when at a stop light but splitting lanes at high speeds is too dangerous IMO.
CA is the ONLY state in the nation that lane splitting is legal in and you should have seen the NV & AZ police have a field day writing tickets during the Laughlin River Run to CA bikers that were splitting lanes, it was a real cash cow for those states.
All bikers should familiarize the MC laws of the states they plan on riding in when on trips.

· Registered
88 Posts

· Premium Member
3,117 Posts
I have to agree that the way it is now is better. If this passes as a law there is no more gray area for cops thus lots of tickets will be written. I have been pulled over splitting in the past and was given a warning and a brief description of what the officer found to be safe. This was probably 20 years ago and I was riding way too fast but he let me go with a "warning" although how can you get a warning or ticket for something that there are no laws regarding?

At that time I was informed that any more than 10 MPH faster than the flow of traffic was unsafe and the new bill states 15 MPH. The reality is that if you split lanes regularly you realize that there really is not time to look at your speedo. I pay attention to all the cars that are inches from my bike on both sides, not how fast I am going.

Let this bill be killed.

Drew

· Premium Member
6,810 Posts
I live in SoCal and ride 113 miles five days a week splitting lanes on the 405 freeway. The real issue that I see splitting lanes are all of the a holes on their cell phones. It is a major risk everyday I ride but I couldn't imagine not being able to split lanes. The traffic is so heavy that there's no way the bike wouldn't over heat during the summer months. By me being able to split lanes saves me a least one hour each way. I've been splitting lanes for over 25 years and have been down twice with people Crossing The Double Yellow Lines. It's never fun going down at speed that's for sure. The cops should be writing tickets to those that are on their cell phones. The problem is everyone here does it and there aren't enough motorcycle cops. Be safe brothers, it a battlefield out there.
SWomack

· Gone But Not Forgotten
1,070 Posts
I've been riding in CA for +35 years. I've been lane sharing for most of that time. I've followed motor cops, and been followed by motor cops with no issue. If they think you're being unsafe, they will find a reason to ticket you.

Basic California speed law i no faster than is safe for the conditions. They can use that as a generic ticket and it's up to the Cop to decide if you were unsafe. They can also get you for unsafe lane change if you are bouncing back and forth across the lane divider.

Best way is to pick a lane and stick to it, if you do need to shift to the other lane to get around someone, then signal your intention, even though you are only shifting 6"-8". If you change lanes, keep it legal.

I am part of a state wide Motorcycle Rights Org here in CA. We've been fighting this since it was introduced on December 1, 2014

When this law was first proposed, it was really bad. AB51 was originally written such that traffic had to be no faster than 35mph and you could not go no more than 10mph faster than the traffic you were passing.

In February, it was amended to reduce the traffic speed to no more than 30mph. That was even worse.

In it's current form (5/22/2015), it now reads that the Motorcyclist can not ride at any speed that exceeds 50mph, nor more than 15mph above the speed of the surrounding traffic.

SECTION 1. Section 21658.1 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:

21658.1. (a) A motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels in contact with the ground may be driven between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane, including both divided and undivided streets, roads, or highways, if both of the following conditions are present:
(1) The motorcycle is not driven at a speed of more than 50 miles per hour.
(2) The motorcycle is not driven more than 15 miles per hour faster than the speed of traffic moving in the same direction.
(b) This section does not authorize a motorcycle to be driven in contravention of other laws relating to the safe operation of a vehicle.
SEC. 2. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of the Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution.

Currently, the bill has been passed to the Senate and sent to committee.

05/28/15 In Senate. Read first time. To Com. on RLS. for assignment.
05/28/15 Read third time. Passed. Ordered to the Senate. (Ayes 58. Noes 14.)
05/22/15 Read third time and amended. Ordered to third reading.
04/30/15 Read second time. Ordered to third reading.
04/29/15 From committee: Do pass. (Ayes 16. Noes 1.) (April 29).
04/07/15 From committee: Do pass and re-refer to Com. on APPR. (Ayes 13. Noes 1.) (April 6). Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
02/12/15 Re-referred to Com. on TRANS.
02/11/15 From committee chair, with author's amendments: Amend, and re-refer to Com. on TRANS. Read second time and amended.
01/22/15 Referred to Com. on TRANS.
12/02/14 From printer. May be heard in committee January 1.
12/01/14 Read first time. To print.

It's an improvement, but it was better when it was a grey area. Not illegal, because there was no law prohibiting it. It was a judgement call on the part of the rider and the officer if seen riding in this manner.

Just my $0.02. YMMV

· Registered
329 Posts
Can anyone provide a valid reason why motorcyclists need to split lanes/share lanes at speeds above 50mph? Having ridden in Calif since 1985, I personally see why lane splitting/lane sharing is desirable at speeds below 50mph on our congested freeways and some surface streets (I personally don't split at speeds above 30mph just'cuz of the over abundance of distracted drivers nowadays), but splitting and sharing at speeds above 50mph? What for? Can't use the "overheating" excuse at 50mph.

Many many times whether I've been in my cage or on my bike I've experienced idiots with no self control and/or common sense blast up between other vehicles on the roadway at ALL speeds. Instead...how about good ol' ordinary lane change when it's safe to do so....turn sigs and all? Really...what's the freekin rush?...and how much time did master blaster really save by riding like an idiot?...Some fellow motorcyclists are our own worse enemies...:mad:

· Registered
156 Posts
I don't see any need for lane splitting over 30/40 mph. However Lane splitting is the only thing that keeps me sane. You would not believe the craziness I see while driving my service van around the SF Bay Area. Some days I spend more time sitting in traffic than actually working. The google/twitter/facebook employees here on work visas have never driven before moving here, and they're out on the road with no idea what they are doing. Or the pompous entitled luxury car driver that drives with extreme aggression and "doesn't have time for this." Basic traffic laws aren't enforced. It's a free for all.

If lane splitting wasn't allowed I couldn't live here.

· Registered
492 Posts
Lane splitting is one of those things that you just have to use common sense with when you do it. +1 on what Swomack said about the 405, that freeway SUCKS! I get a double dose of the stupid $hit that these cagers do when riding to work and being behind the wheel of an 18 speed long nose fuel tanker in So Cal traffic on a daily basis. By the way, does anyone know if turn signals were an "optional" item on the Prius, Mercedes Benz and BMW?:eek:

· Registered
38 Posts
Don't live in Cali so no dog in this fight.........but I see no reason for folks to get worked up over it and argue that it is unsafe to do.

Just because it CAN be done doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. Just like wearing a helmet. Just because the law says you don't have to doesn't mean you can't.

If we all were so safety conscious would we still ride a motorcycle? That in itself is a risk.

Never lived there but I have ridden there and split lanes with the locals, had to in order to keep up with them or I'd have been hopelessly lost.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
I would think that riding on the shoulder of the freeway would be better then splitting lanes, the bike has more room on the shoulder then sneaking between 2 cars and you only have to worry about the cars on one side of the bike when riding on the shoulder. JMO

· Registered
329 Posts
I would think that riding on the shoulder of the freeway would be better then splitting lanes, the bike has more room on the shoulder then sneaking between 2 cars and you only have to worry about the cars on one side of the bike when riding on the shoulder. JMO
Shoulders are full of tire puncturing debris unless they're fastidiously swept by the trans dept...which they're not. And most shoulders are for emergency use only....catastrophic if some idiot rider decides to use it as his/her fast lane:eek:

· Registered
329 Posts
I'm from Michigan and lane splitting is very foreign to me. I did, however, split lanes in CA on the 101. My riding partner went first and I followed behind. We only did it when the traffic was at a dead stop. The cars moved over and we had no issues at all. I do understand the risk but it seemed to me that the people driving the cars were use to having bikers do this and moved out of our way. CA traffic is very challenging to drive in if your not use to it and I understand why its allowed. Having a good set of pipes on your bike (nice rumble) and a bright head light is a plus as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Gone But Not Forgotten
1,070 Posts
Quick update on the status of AB-51 - the Lane Splitting Bill in California.

Assembly Bill AB51 – Lane Splitting bill. Opponents want to water this one down to remove speed limitations, or defeat it completely.

May 28, 2015 AB51 Lane-split Bill passed off the Assembly floor 52-11. On to the Senate.

Bill is still stalled in the Senate, the members of the Transportation Committee did not vote for the bill although they did not however speak against it.

Bill is now on hold until 2016, the second half of the Legislature’s two-year session, a spokeswoman said. The measure faced a July 17 deadline to clear its first Senate policy committee, but did not make that deadline.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Lane splitting is actually kind of a gray area here in Montana.there is no law against it,and I've split lanes right past a cop who didn't even look twice at me.

however,there are enough people here who think it's illegal and take it upon themselves to enforce it by throwing their door open or otherwise getting angry that I don't do it often any more.

the issue came up when a certain group from california were having a get together here,and someone tried to cut them off and lost their mirror.the cops said right int he newspaper there's no law against it,therefore you can.

Reactions: RoadGlideRider
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.