Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been planning this for a while, however, I'm now wondering if three weeks is enough. Plan is to do about 400 miles per day, leaving on the 11th. Arrive in Florida the 16th or 17th. Spend a few days at a friend's place, then ride with him up to Asheville NC on the 22nd. Stay there for a day or two and head back to California.
About 5500 miles in 21 days. Doesn't really seem that bad, what you all think?
And this would be a solo trip.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have done coast to coast Florida to Cali twice but at a more relaxed pace. I took 3 weeks to do one way but I stayed off interstates and only did about 200-250 miles a day.
I think your total mileage will be more than 5500 miles and you will be pushed to do the journey both ways in 21 days, not saying its not possible but don't think it will be very enjoyable, also no consideration for possible breakdowns, but wish you the best of luck if you do decide to make the trip.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Be prepared for oppressive heat. Then, as you approach the Gulf of Mexico the oppressive humidity kicks in.

You might want to plan to be rolling at or before day break and stop at the hotel for the night at check in time of 2 PM unless you love riding in an oven or are willing to ride through the night.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Sounds like an incredible trip. I completely agree that I-10 can be brutal in the heart of the summer, but some folks have different tolerances than others. As with all things, the more time you have to lay the trip out flat the more time you will have to enjoy it. Advice for early-morning starts is also right on the money. That's what I normally do. Three weeks is definitely do-able! Just depends on your expectations...

Either way... SAFE MILES BROTHER! Be prepared to post pics when you return! :grin:

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Should be a good trip. I think 3 weeks is plenty. If you start running behind a little it's easy to make up some time by running a few extra miles a day or two. Good luck and Ride safe.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah no sh*t bout the heat and humidity down along I-10. Just pray you don't get stuck in one of those 5 mile backups, just about roasted my nuts off.100 degrees and 90% humidity is the norm. The 5500 in 3 weeks should not be a issue. Enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I know I can do it - just not sure if I should wait, or just go for it.

Here's an updated route, pretty much all on the super-slab, at least on the way there. The way back is still up in the air.

From Southern California...
10 - Phoenix
10 - El Paso TX
20 - Abilene TX
20 - Shreveport LA
HWY 49 - 10 to Mobile AL or 20 - HWY 49 to Mobile LA or Pensacola FL
10 - Orlando

Not sure if Interstate 20 is any better than Interstate 10.

If I could get away with 300 miles/day I could probably spend more time off the interstate.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Here's an updated route, pretty much all on the super-slab, at least on the way there. The way back is still up in the air.

10 - Phoenix
10 - El Paso TX
20 - Abilene TX
20 - Shreveport LA
10 - Orlando

If I could get away with 300 miles/day I could probably spend more time off the interstate.
Thats a good choice, 10 into Lake Charles is under construction and constantly backed up for hours.

·
Registered
514 Posts

10 - Phoenix
10 - El Paso TX
20 - Abilene TX
20 - Shreveport LA
10 - Orlando

Hi George,

I just finished a similar solo ride from Phoenix to NYC and back that was 5500 miles. I took my time over a 3 week period with several non-riding days spent visiting friends and family in Tulsa, Indianapolis, Hartford, NYC and Denver. Temperatures ranged from the 40s to 100 degrees, with all kinds of weather, and I agree that the best strategy is to get up early and try to be on the road in time to reach each days destination by 2 or 3 in the afternoon so that you're not bogged down in the heat and rush hour traffic of late afternoon. Most importantly, be ready to expect the unexpected, and don't let delays throw you off your game plan. At each HD dealership that I stopped into to check tire air pressure and take care of small repairs and such, I was told and shown that the service departments give priority to travelers. It doesn't hurt to befriend the service rep you're dealing with by slipping them a tip in advance of getting your service done to make sure that you get your bike returned to you quickly. You'll be fine (sore, sweaty and tired each day, but fine). One other thing, make sure that day breaks before you head out each morning so that you will see all of the deer, armadillos, turtles and other critters on the road in time to avoid them. The newborn creatures are out and about on the roadways this time of year, reconfirming Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest all over again.

Have a great ride and tell us about it in word and pictures!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got back to San Diego on the 5th of June from Knoxville TN. Went from Knoxville to Texarkana (kind of near Shreveport), El Paso, Phoenix, then San Diego.

If you have the time, I would recommend heading north out of Phoenix, and then cut east out of Flagstaff. The temperatures are less torturous. We were on the road by 0600 each day and had good riding until around noon. By 1400 the heat was bad enough that, while we both said we were good, we were making unwise decisions. I'll be riding from San Diego to Jacksonville NC in early September, and I will either ride from 0400 until noon, or I'll head north before cutting east.

Whatever you do, bring water. The wind and sun will pull so much water of you. On the last day, I stopped every 30 or 45 minutes and slammed a bottle of water, then took off again. Those stops were less than 5 minutes, but did a world of good.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would avoid I-20 from Pecos to Big Spring crazy oil field traffic, accidents every day. I am in Midland if you need anything. Oh I’m in Texas!

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
if your going to take I-20 to avoid gulf coast heat stay on it to meridian miss. then 49 south down to 84 and go east to Opp Georgia and then 52/153/83 down to 10. you'll miss almost all of the gulf sweaty balls temps, and the constuction that is always on I-10 in louisiana. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/30.6911362,-86.1225047/31.2659981,-86.2259353/31.7170652,-88.6077906/32.3084886,-88.6816976/@31.8456613,-88.6840072,9.25z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0?hl=en
I live around exit 104 on I-10 in FL. No matter which way you go through AL, GA, FL in July, you can't miss the humidity. Its hot and it sucks. It'll suck your endurance right out of you if you're not careful. There's another recent thread about hot weather riding gear. I posted a link to the company that makes my cooling vest. I used that vest last July running I-10 back and forth to JAX. Heat Index was between 105 -110. Even with that vest, I need to stop every hour, to drink and rest a little. Without that vest, I would not have been safe.

Which ever way you come, you'll want to run I-75 south and pick up the FL turnpike to head into Orlando.

Another good reason for stopping earlier in the day, afternoon thunder storms. FL is the lightning strike capitol of the world.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I just don't get it. For the past couple of days Iv'e been reading posts about how oppressive the heat is in the south and how it can suck the life out of ya if you don't do X, Y, or Z.

I grew up in Houston and South Texas, Joined the Army at 21, toured the world and now live in Michigan, and don't have a survival strategy for this "killer heat." I really don't find it to be that bad.

Was in Houston/Galveston last July and, yea, it's hot, but c'mon man, sack up!

For long distance rides, I'd suggest getting a "camel-back" hydration system and filling the water bladder each night and placing it in the freezer. When you put it back in the carrier each morning, as the ice melts, it provides you with ice water between stops and it also cools you off if you wear it under your jacket, (providing you're wearing one!) regardless of what you cover up with just make sure that there's a layer between your skin and the bag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
3 weeks for a round trip could be a challenge depending on how much time you spend sight see along the way. It may also depend on you taking back roads or highways. Sept 2017 I did a Florida to San Francisco one way and it was 16 day. We tried to avoid interstates as much as possible. Of course we went from Fl to Colorado to Las Vegas to San Francisco with many stops along the way to see stuff. Weather was mild the whole way, and when the trip was done we shipped the bikes back home. Awesome trip!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts