Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter graduates in May and lives in West Virgina. Thinking of riding all the way out there on the new bike. It would be a solo trip and my wife would fly into Philadelphia where her parents are then ride down with my mom for the graduation. The date is May 25. I would take the southern route and go across 40. What do you guys think and any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is Glenville West Virginia, about an hour north of Charleston.

I think the Beverly hillbillies route might work well, have to see if I can locate that one, maybe jed can help me out? LOL.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is Glenville West Virginia, about an hour north of Charleston.

I think the Beverly hillbillies route might work well, have to see if I can locate that one, maybe jed can help me out? LOL.....

Go to the WV Chamber of Commerce and get a map , they also have a map of Byways and Backways. You will love the roads of WV. I got family in and around Bluefield. My Dad was from Bluefield WV. and Mom was from Bluefield VA.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Are you looking for scenic, fast or a combo of both? Also what part of Cali are you coming from. Several different ways to get there. Lived in Bluefield VA for 4 years, great scenery regardless of which way you go.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have ridden there numerous times but this was before I moved to California. I used to live in Illinois. West Virgina does have some great riding. I was curious about 2500 mile solo trip and anything you guys have expierenced in the past I should be aware of. I have ridden long rides before but not solo. Just ideas and suggestions, it really is not just being alone, any breakdowns, etc. just would make it a lot more difficult.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I'd get on the Blue Ridge Pkwy outside Cherokee, NC. Take it to Charlottesville, VA. Pick up US 250 towards Elkins, WV. Then on to Glenville.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
You can also take in US 129 The Dragon and several senic routes through the Smokies before getting on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Stay in Gatlinburg for good eats.

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
As you can work it:
- alternate using superslab and US highways
- US 30 the OLD LINCOLN HIGHWAY has tremendous old sites
- US 40 is the OLD NATIONAL ROAD - very cool across IN
- Coming into OH - pick up Ohio 32 off I-275 - it is stunning out to Athens OH
- Then you can choose your entry into WV

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
+1 for riding Blue Ridge Parkway. A bunch of us rode it at SharkWeek1 last July. It was beautiful,must see IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you want I will send you a PM with my contact info in case you come thru the Cincinnati area and have any trouble.

It wouldn't hurt if we had some way of giving contact info out to forum members that might be in the area and are experiencing trouble. The National Street Rod Assc. has a book for it's members like that every year. It is optional if you want to participate. With the forum here I don't think we need a book, but maybe some place to share the info that only members can see. Just a thought.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can also take in US 129 The Dragon and several senic routes through the Smokies before getting on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Stay in Gatlinburg for good eats.
I like this me the best. I live in Charlotte, NC. The dragon is 3-4 hours from me. Best riding I ever did on my street bike. I just got my RG this week so I can wait for spring to head up for the weekend. It's like 117 curves in 6 miles.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Pack the Touring Handbook sent with your HOG membership, it has all the Harley dealers listed in it in case you have mechanical troubles, you'll no doubt too want to get a t-shirt or two on your way across. Keep your cellphone charged and carry a credit card for emergencies and you'll be fine.

Traveling alone has many advantages. At the end of the day it's nice to have someone to talk to and share the day with, but truth be told some of my most enjoyable rides have been alone. You go at your own pace, stop and do what you want, when you want. You'll be surprised too how fast the Glide eats the miles and you may travel further, faster then you can imagine.

A route and things to see are many the only variable is how much time you're going to spend coming across the country. Man it sounds like a blast to me :D

·
Registered
700 Posts
You might want to pick up one if them SpotGPS so someone can track your progress and you can send text if you're broke down with no cell phone coverage.

Don't forget to turn it off if'n you go somewhere you ain't wanting someone to know about.
Just saying...

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
I ran somewhat your route last year solo - California to Maine, actually, then back again. I've got all kinds of do's and don't's that you might find helpful. Most important tip off the top of my head: If you come across a gal in Utah, name of Amber, a few teeth missing, run as quickly as you can in the other direction. :D

Seriously, PM me and I'll answer any questions you might have. Could be the trip of your life!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
You would be leaving right around Memorial Day weekend so why don't get a hold of some Veteran MC groups and ride with them as they head to Washington D.C for ROLLING THUNDER. There will be motorcycle riders from all over the USA heading the same direction that week so if you hook up with group from your area you would have company all the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts