Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NorCal, specifically.

I'll be in the Bay Area next month for a few days on business. I'm going to take a Friday evening/Saturday to get some ride time in. I'll be renting a bike (and going radically different, with a BMW K1600GT).

I'll be picking up the bike Friday the 13th of March before the place closes, so I can get an early start on Saturday morning and take a run down Highway 1 for a couple hundred miles and then back up to Mountain View. I have to have the bike back by 5PM on Saturday.

Here's my question: If I were to pick the bike up a little early on Friday, say 3PMish, I'm considering taking a late afternoon/evening ride down 17 over to Santa Cruz, then north on 1 up to Half Moon Bay and then loop back to my hotel in Milpitas. On paper, that's a little less than a 3 hour loop. The question is, traffic wise, is that reasonable? Will Friday afternoon rush hour kill my buzz enough that I should just give up the idea and take off early in the morning?

I'd really appreciate some local input. -Jay

·
Registered
330 Posts
17 on Friday afternoon will be a parking lot. Won't be bad down the coast during the morning after commute time but, Half Moon Bay can back up and so can Pacifica in the afternoon. Good luck

·
Registered
743 Posts
Friday afternoon traffic is a bitch in the bay area as well as here in SoCal.
If you're up to lane splitting, it'll really save some time though.
I do find NorCal drivers much more courteous to lane splitters than the asses here in SoCal.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Stops for the day ride

Traffic is a fact of life in that area.
Along Hywy 1 some quick stops you might consider:
The Wharf in Santa Cruz
Duarte's Resturant in Pescadero, (short ride off 1) try the 1/2 1/2 soup Artichoke and Green Chile. Lots of other great meals there as well.
Margarettaville in Capitola, sit out on the patio, watch for the seagulls stealing food though.
Just off 1 in San Gregorio the "General Store" is a cool stop
If you want to work out on some tighter twisties, at San Gregorio take 84 through La Honda up to Alices Resturant. And for even more twisty fun continue on 84 to Woodside and then hit the 280 freeway.
If you get south to Monterey the "Giant Artichoke" is a local restaurant and market oddity.
NorCal knows all these spots I'll bet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts