Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is it just a pipe dream?
Can I have a bike that is capable of a 10 sec 1/4 mi But is a JOY to
ride on the street and a Great long distance touring bike.
A bike that is nearly bullet proof one that will go 60kmi or more
without and engine / trans problems.
So is it doable?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
So is it doable?
Anything is doable with the right amount of $$ thrown at it - A tuned ZX-14 with a Different Seat, Bars, Rear Sets, Windshield and a set of Givi or Beatle Bags and you are pretty damn close

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
So is it doable?
Probably not on this website........:wink:

Somebody will probably try to claim a Hayabusa would make a great touring bike, but most here would argue that point.

The V65 Honda from the early 80's would run well into the 10s, and was pretty decent on the highway, for awhile, but certainly wasn't a touring machine in any way shape or form.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had an '89 GSX1100F that would do low 11s bone stock. They were capable of low 10s with not too much modding. These bikes were considered sport touring with a longer frame, adjustable windshield, and lots of touring accessories like bags, seats, etc.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Or is it just a pipe dream?
Can I have a bike that is capable of a 10 sec 1/4 mi But is a JOY to
ride on the street and a Great long distance touring bike.
A bike that is nearly bullet proof one that will go 60kmi or more
without and engine / trans problems.
So is it doable?
One of these days, when I have lots of time and/or money, here's what I'd like to do: V-Rod bagger.

Put a decent suspension and some motor/ body work, address the creature comforts, and the potential's there:

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
One of these days, when I have lots of time and/or money, here's what I'd like to do: V-Rod bagger.

Put a decent suspension and some motor/ body work, address the creature comforts, and the potential's there:

I think that is a great idea if you could find a way to put a bigger tank on it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think that is a great idea if you could find a way to put a bigger tank on it.
'07-and-up have a 5-gallon tank. Prior to that, I think it was 3.5 or 3.7 gallons. Mileage wasn't mentioned in the "dream bike" description. But that's definitely something to consider. My tuned V-Rod only has stage 1 mods, and 33mpg is possible with a tail wind, and downhill run. Never been impressed with the fuel economy. Then again, I've never really tried to ride it as if it were a touring bike.

She finds triple digits every time she exits the garage. It's an unspoken rule.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
'07-and-up have a 5-gallon tank. Prior to that, I think it was 3.5 or 3.7 gallons. Mileage wasn't mentioned in the "dream bike" description. But that's definitely something to consider. My tuned V-Rod only has stage 1 mods, and 33mpg is possible with a tail wind, and downhill run. Never been impressed with the fuel economy. Then again, I've never really tried to ride it as if it were a touring bike.

That's a sexy damn bike.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts

How much of a right hand lean can you get before that beautiful exhaust begins to make sparks? - Always wanted to ride one of those bikes

·
Registered
336 Posts
How much of a right hand lean can you get before that beautiful exhaust begins to make sparks? - Always wanted to ride one of those bikes
That pic is with the Arnott Air Ride suspension slammed. It'll raise 3" on demand, with on-board compressor. Only good in a straight line like that. Looks badass parked though. Helps eliminate wheel hop, as it's a hardtail at full-drop.

That's a sexy damn bike.
I call her "Miss Murder". Sexy she is. My GF calls her "my first wife".

·
Registered
918 Posts
Find yourself a Honda Valkyrie to begin with....
Plenty of power / muscle / comfort / durability there....
'Bone stock' these were running @96/96....
Only mods I did to mine was add a set of custom glasspac
exhausts and lift the fuel tank a half inch to allow more
air to enter the breather.

Add a blower and you will have what you are looking for !!

·
Registered
240 Posts
The wife and I did quite a bit of touring on a 1st gen Yamaha FZ1. It was a great all around bike that could easily be put into the 10s. The wife was so comfy on the back she had a habit of falling asleep. Other riders "goosing" her when she dozed off became a game.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If that's what you truly want than you better by a Jap bike because it isn't going to happen with a Harley I can guarantee you that my friend.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
A warmed-up S&S 143" should certainly push you into the 10's.
As far as 60,000 miles, that is yet to be seen in those.(many stock engines do not make it that far).
Scott

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
That pic is with the Arnott Air Ride suspension slammed. It'll raise 3" on demand, with on-board compressor. Only good in a straight line like that. Looks badass parked though. Helps eliminate wheel hop, as it's a hardtail at full-drop.

I call her "Miss Murder". Sexy she is. My GF calls her "my first wife".
Nice - I like the Song Ms. Murder too - Now it is stuck in my head

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
If I were looking for that kind of power but yet keep it ridable for cross country trips I would probably look at the Aero Charger turbo kit. It's used in conjunction with a low compression medium lift cam and can turn a bagger into a beast. Yet when ridden correctly can get in the 40 plus mpg on the highway.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts