Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Got a 2020 Is road glidewith the 114 looking for the best new Cam and exhaust to put on to get most power
Welcome to Roadglide.org, from Michigan.

Best is subjective. For example best exhaust, best how - Looking? Sound? Price? Performance? What type of performance characteristics do you prefer? Best cam - for what application, heads, exhaust, etc.

I suggest you consult a reputable engine builder - Fuel Moto, Dragos, Hillside Cycles, or one of many others. They can properly advise you on your combination of requirements.

Generally the best exhaust for performance is a 2-1. Cams are all over the place.

I'd suggest taking a look at Fuel Moto's dyno chart database. https://university.fuelmotousa.com/dyno-charts/

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Maybe take a look at the dyno charts on Fuel Moto for reference. Call them. They will give you straight-up information.

I have a 2016 so I can't offer a direct, actionable response except to say with some patience, you can make this work.

For example, I ride 2-Up alot with everything from low country to mountain roads. I went with a cam that provides a lot of low-end to mid range torque with an increase in HP. However, I picked a head-pipe that does better with torque in the mid-to-high end. So I did the best I could (with advice from Fuel Moto and other informed sources) to pick a complimentary Stage 2 build.

Really look into the difference between 2-1, 2 into 2, and 2-1-2 exhaust systems.

My original Stage 1 was Rinehart Xtreme True Duals. Yep - I reallly didn't think it through - but then again, I never thought I was going to do a Stage 2.

Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
Welcome from Mass!

Things I've learned about buying cams. Where do I shift and do I ride 2 up a lot?

These things have helped me narrow down the choices, torque vs power cams, and where their power bands are.

Exhaust can also factor in as well, 2:1 torque comes in earlier, 2:1:2 carries farther out the back side farther.

Lots of good cam info here

Lots of good exhaust info here

·
Premium Member
2019 RGS
5,715 Posts
Got a 2020 Is road glidewith the 114 looking for the best new Cam and exhaust to put on to get most power
Power as in Horsepower or Yank as in torque?
Two different rides. How do you ride? Where do you want the power to come on? Low or mid to high? Most are choosing the Woods 22xe the S&S 465 or the Zippers Red Shift 468. They all are a low end TQ cam that pulls hard and will pull up into the 5k plus zone. Exhaust is all over. But like was said. 2-1 is the way to go. I went with the S&S Sidewinder and the Redshift 468 cam. Couldn’t be happier. Powervision tuner with a few auto tunes. I do not see a need for a dyno tune at this point is runs so perfect. All dyno sheets I see with my combo have it 112+ on the HP and near 130 on the TQ. Makes for a snappy ride.

of those 3 cams I list. Pull one from a hat. You’ll be happy with any one of them. There’s also the S&S 475. And the 22x. Little different profiles.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Welcome to the Road Glide Forums!

Not saying you should follow my lead, but what I did:

1. Estimated a budget I was willing to spend to get performance and the right sound.
2. Called Fuel Moto and put both my budget and desires on the table.
3. Took notes on the info given and spent several days researching.
4. Ordered my parts from Fuel Moto and did my own work.
5. Saved about $600 on things I didn't need to replace, like oil pump and cam plate.
6. Saved $600-$1000 on labor.

Now my wife understands I'm good for doing things other than opening jars.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,372 Posts
If you are doing just a cam /exhaust upgrade, there isn't a ton of difference you can feel from the seat of the pants between any of the aftermarket cams with the M8. Yes, dyno charts can show the curves and how they are different, but the differences are small to the average rider. With that said, if I were doing just a cam/exhaust to my own bike these days, I would use the Star Racing 30/30 cam with a D&D 2 into 1 exhaust. It has the best lope at idle and the power you get from just a cam swap is the best bang for the buck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts