Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As well as cams , lifters , cam bearings , and rocklocs .. Let the fun begin .. Pitchers as we go .. Waiting on everything but the cams , all should be here by Thursday I hope .. Anywho , here's a close up of the outer shoe at 71500 miles .. You can see the chain is starting to cut into the shoe , will get a better picture when I pull it ...

JtB

·
Registered
594 Posts
I put a fuel Moto 107 kit with cams @ 75k. Had some wear but looked like it would go another 74k with no problem. I did replace the followers anyway since the rest of the camchest was new. 106k on the bike now.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Be sure to check the run out on that pinion shaft.

Excessive hydraulic tensioner shoe wear is often a tell on crank run out. As the crank wobbles towards the cam and then away from it, the chain draws tiger (away from) and slack (towards). The tensioner takes out the slack, then fights the chain when it tightens up. And that over-tighten condition causes excessive wear on the shoe.

·
Super Moderator
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet blue color , somebody stole yer chains dood :love: , wish I could swing some gears , shoe surprised me , I thought it would be more wear ..

Thought about the Zipper shoes , but kinda spendy , went with Feuling shoes , S&S bearings and o rings , Woods Lifters and SE255 cams ...

JtB

·
Super Moderator
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just read about that movie yesterday. Some BS right there and no way for one member to treat another or anyone for that matter.
There was actually a movie called the Flim Flam man with George C Scott and Slim Pickens back in the 60's , but they had a lot more fun ..

JtB

·
Super Moderator
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally back in the shop late this evening , way too much going on during the week to get anything done plus been raining all week and cold ..

So pulled the rockers and pushin' rods and lifters .. Rollers on the rear lifters had some finish coming off , fronts looked good ..

Word to the wise , check your breather filter baffles , one on the rear cylinder was disintegrating ..

Need to add the room on to the shop that I been putting off ..

JtB

·
Registered
488 Posts
Word to the wise , check your breather filter baffles , one on the rear cylinder was disintegrating ..
Another word to the wise, don’t forget to either blow the oil out of the breather baffle bolt holes and the rocker support holes or soak up the oil with Q-tips prior to reinstalling the bolts.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Another word to the wise, don’t forget to either blow the oil out of the breather baffle bolt holes and the rocker support holes or soak up the oil with Q-tips prior to reinstalling the bolts.
I give all the bolt holes a quick shot of parts cleaner and let the soak for a few minutes and blow them out wih compressed air. Then I run thread chasers through the bolt holes and the bolts and re-clean the holes with the q-tips. I sometimes feel like I spend more time cleaning all the threads than I do on the actual job. All gasket surfaces get the scott bright treatmeant.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Jack, I would put new breather assembly's in while your there anyway. I almost never re-use the breather's unless it's very low mileage on them. I am very anal though and tend to do more than is probably necessary sometimes.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts