Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy did a 98" build on his 2002 RK, bike was basically a stock 88" With only 15k on it. This is a good reason on older twin cams to change to gear drive cams. I can't believe the wear on this shoe with so few miles on it

Attachments

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Not sure why but i have seen some bikes with 30,000 plus miles and the shoes look a whole lot better than those ,then others like these with fairly low miles look awful,dont know if oil type or brand has anything to do with it or maybe riding style,i upgraded my 01 to the SE cam plate and adjusters when i changed lifters.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Whats worse dry rot or crotch rot.:eek:

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bike has been very well taken care of, never abused, ridden by a 64 year old and only synthetic oils used. Bike looks like it's brand new. You'd think one should get more miles out of them on stock set up. Glad he got the work done because we are planning a long ride next month, not sure how much longer those shoes would've held up

·
Registered
122 Posts
Another way to solve this is put in all 2007 hydraulic parts. My tensioners were pitted at 28k. I now have 2007 cam plate,tensioners,chains,oil pump, and Andrews cams.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Burrs left on the cam chain plates from the manufacturing process is the culprit.
9 times out of 10 the 2nd set of shoes will last as those sharp edges are now polished smooth.
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts