Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up on 35k miles and have read that the tensioner needs to AT LEAST be inspected around that millage..
I have an '03 with a Stage I with Rinehart True Duals.
If I'm going to inspect, replace, upgrade this part, what would be a reputable replacement part and also, a decent cam to look at while I'm "in there"?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
It's a rolling the dice, as you know they (the outward one) can look fine, then come unglued as the most unoportune (insert *&^%* here). The SE upgrade is way to go and bike will perk with the increase oil press. If it's not a 95" you will want to cam it. Was there a previous owner? Our 03 took a $hit @ 85k

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an 88
I bought it from original owner (long time friend of mine's Uncle) meticulous about maintenance..

Yeah, I know... From all that I've read, its a gamble for sure, waiting too long...
The original owner WA an older man that only put 26k on it before I purchased it this past Oct. (those miles included 3 trips to California. One to Washington state and one to western Canada. All from GA.)
I ride it in "normal everyday" conditions, where he mainly "Toured" on it...

I'd like a cam swap, but wouldn't even know where to begin to look...
I have homework to do to figure it out, but I don't want to take TOO LONG before making a late decision costs me more than I'm wanting to..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
2 good cam choices for that 88" would be either a Crane 300, or an S&S .509.
You can take a peek at the inside tensioner with a dental mirror, once the cover is removed.:)
Scott

·
Banned
88 Posts
even if they show no wear,theier still doing damage.the stock HD tensioners come apart in little bits,thats why when you look at the tensioners,theres little "pip" marks in it.these little pieces will get in your pump & start doing damage way beforethe tensioners start showing real wear.best to replace them with a gear drive,SE hyd. up grade set up or at least some CYRO tensioners (ide do the gear drive if it was mine)

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
The manual chain tensioners on the 06 and earlier bike shoud be inspected way before 35K. The cam chain tensioner have been known to go out as early as 20K.
I would check them and if they need service do it ASAP. Don't forget to check the primary chain tension too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You can buy all the '07 parts and do a hydraulic swap for +-$500. Throw in a couple cams for $250 or less and be smilin' for the foreseeable future.

I went hydraulic and purchased all the parts from Surdyke or Ronnie's. I used a list from a Herko Kit that is no longer being sold. This list did not have part numbers but, I just went to Ronnie's web page and looked up all the parts from an '07 FLTR.

QTY DESCRIPTION
1 ea NEW STYLE OIL PUMP
1 ea NEW STYLE CAM SUPPORT PLATE
1 ea 34-T REAR CAM SPROCKET
1 ea 17-T CRANK SPROCKET
1 ea FRONT CAM SNAP RING
1 ea FRONT CAM SPACER .100
1 ea PRIMARY (OUTER) CAM CHAIN
1 ea SECONDARY (INNER) CAM CHAIN
1 ea PRIMARY (OUTER) HYDRAULIC CHAIN TENSIONER
1 ea SECONDARY (INNER) HYDRAULIC CHAIN TENSIONER
2 ea PRIMARY TENSIONER BOLTS
2 ea SECONDARY TENSIONER BOLTS
4 ea OIL PUMP BOLTS
6 ea CAM SUPPORT PLATE BOLTS
10 ea CAM COVER BOLTS
1 ea SPACER .110 THICK (As required for 17T & 34T sprocket alignment)
1 ea SPACER .120 THICK (As required for 17T & 34T sprocket alignment)
1 ea SPACER .130 THICK (As required for 17T & 34T sprocket alignment)
1 ea SPACER .140 THICK (As required for 17T & 34T sprocket alignment)
1 ea SPACER .150 THICK (As required for 17T & 34T sprocket alignment)
1 ea CAM COVER GASKET
2 ea LIFTER COVER GASKET
8 ea LIFTER COVER MOUNTING BOLTS
2 ea EXHAUST GASKETS COMETIC C9540 PREMIUM
1 ea CASE TO OIL FEED PORT ORING
1 ea CASE TO OIL RETURN PORT ORING
1 ea CASE TO OIL PUMP SCAVENGE ORING
1 ea CRANK SPROCKET BOLT AND WASHER SET
1 ea CAM SPROCKET BOLT AND WASHER SET
2 ea B-148 TORRINGTON INNER CAM BEARINGS

I didn't buy every part on this list. Some of the bolts are reusable and I didn't buy lifter cover gaskets. I bought rocker gaskets and pulled and dropped the pushrods back in.

I used Andrews 21N cams that are made for this conversion. Using these allows you to keep your pushrods. This gets you 2 new chains, better cam bearings, and a newer style oil pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts