Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Not sure of your miles but an 02 I would be very nervous with the old style (spring) after 25k ~ I have never run the new style (hydraulic) over 40k ~ I have not had a failure but have seen alot of wear at 40k on my previous bikes ~ On the 12 I installed the zippers and will see how they work out.

I ride with guys that have run the old and new style over 100k ~ my luck just does not seem to hold out this long ~ They tell me I ride em too hard & fast :cool:

·
Registered
161 Posts
that bike's over ten years old, i'd just change them. did a friend's 2001 on the weekend, the outer tensioner pad had disintegrated, just fallen apart, not really worn through, just crumbled. bike has sat a lot though, only about 25000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We've witness those fubared at 1200 miles, and still intact(barely)@ over 130,000 miles.
Not much to check those.
A dental mirror can be used to take a peek at the inner.:)
Scott

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones. When I sold my 01 Springer it had over 30k miles on it and the tensioners looked like new. When I sold my 05 RG with close to 30k the shoes in it were also barely worn.

P

·
0 Posts
the problem is that the material is harder than alluminum,so even with almost no wear,they still disinagrate with little "pip" marks that get in your pump & score up the pump/cam plate.best to get them out with a gear drive or hyd. up grade

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
On my 2002 fatboy I changed them at 40K and they still could have gone a bit longer. But...the set I put in then only lasted 20K miles so it is random. On my RG I just picked up the tensioners have 30K on them and look near new. On my Dyan I checked them at 33K and they were totally shot, cracked and ready to go.

I went to the Hydraulic S/E setup on both of these bikes. I will do the same to the RG when they need to be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts