Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Does this shoe look worn to you guys? I don’t want to pull the whole thing out to see the other side if it’s good.

04 Road Glide

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Not a great angle but looks bad to me. Can you pull the shoe back and show the surface? Also - and I could be wrong about this - I remember reading that the inner shoe is likely to be worse than the outer.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys rock.

I’m looking at the fuelling hydrolic tensioner to replace the whole works with a new high output oil pump.

04 Road Glide

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it was me and I had it tore down already I'd replace it just to be on the safe side.

You apparently believed there was a problem that's why You checked.

Go ahead and replace it.

Better safe than sorry.

Mike U.

I agree. Headed to the east coast next summer and my friend hasn’t been in there in recent memory lol. Figured I’d take a look and see. Figured at the mileage it would be close. Ordering parts now. I have the fueling plate I’m mine. This one is the same year as mine.

04 Road Glide

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
I agree. Headed to the east coast next summer and my friend hasn’t been in there in recent memory lol. Figured I’d take a look and see. Figured at the mileage it would be close. Ordering parts now. I have the fueling plate I’m mine. This one is the same year as mine.

04 Road Glide
Best of Luck with The Repair Clutch.
Keep Us posted on how You make out.
Mike U.

·
Registered
773 Posts
View attachment 391701
88 CI stock motor

04 Road Glide
Yes, that shoe is beyond worn. You definitely need to replace that one and check the inner one also. Good rule of thumb is if the side rivets on the chain are down to the shoe surface, it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the info.
I figure a fuelling plate and high output oil pump should clean things up for piece of mind.

Anything else I should consider?

04 Road Glide

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Thanks all for the info.
I figure a fuelling plate and high output oil pump should clean things up for piece of mind.

04 Road Glide
Certainly nothing wrong with the Fueling setup but the HD Screaming Eagle Hydraulic Cam plate setup is also a great choice and is less money. No real need for a higher volume oil pump if you're not doing other major upgrades to the engine. Not going to hurt if you still want to go that direction though. I would have the crank runout checked while your are in there and I would actually have it checked on the drive shaft side as well to get the total runout. It all depends on your budget and what the other upgrades are you have planned.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks all for the info.

04 Road Glide
Not sure what all you were looking to replace and mileage on current parts (unless I missed it), but do change the inner bearings to the full compliment SE/Torrington bearings. I would also change out the lifters to Hylift or S&S or another decent equivalent. If you go hydraulic, you’ll be changing the cams anyway, but if you weren’t I’d be checking them for hardening wear and replace as necessary.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can also go hydraulic by using a 2007 and newer cam plate setup, but you'll have to go with new "conversion" cams as well. I will second the vote to replace the inner cam bearings.
You can do this on the cheap by sourcing used cam plate parts from eBay.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
You guys rock.

I’m looking at the fuelling hydrolic tensioner to replace the whole works with a new high output oil pump.

04 Road Glide
I have a Fueling cam chest and oil pump love it cooler temp rarely above 245 degrees ideal op 35 psi throttle on 55 psi

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I put the fueling in mine and changed everything in the chest when I went hydraulic. I prefer the higher oil pressure and the cooler temps of the motor as well. I figured I’d do the same on this one for the piece of mind.

04 Road Glide

1 - 20 of 20 Posts