Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to hear the dreaded noise from the cam box and I'm wondering if anyone has undertaken the job of replacing the chain tensioners on an '04 or similar setup? Got any pointers for me? I knew the insides of a shovel like the back of my hand and now it's time to get intimate with the TwinCam. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
293 Posts
You will need to inspect the tensoiners. The cam cover has to be removed, which meand the exhaust and right footbaord has to be removed to get it off. Once inside the outter tensioner is very easy to see if its worn, the inner has to be lifted a bit with a screw driver to see the pad at the top of the cam plate. If they are worn , and need to be replaced you will need to have the right tools to do the job. A manual is a must. The job is a pain in the butt with out the right tools and a press. Doc

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Lots of good info, pics, and videos on the HD Forum. I thought about doing the same on my Softail but bought the Roadie instead. Looks pretty straight forward...and you already sound mechanically inclined. Give it a go...:D

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Im not trying to sway you in any direction,.. but throw the idea around of going to a gear driven setup. You gain 8HP cam for cam with gear driven, and no worries about chain slap, clatter or breaking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chainsaw, talked with my mech/builder and he advised that the pinion shaft had to have less than 3/100ths runout to run the gears and I'm thinkin that with the nearly 30,000 on mine, that probably isn't going to be the case. That's the whole reason for going the replacement route; but, thanks anyways!
Doc, thanks for the heads up! I've got the shop manual, now to get my hands on the tools necessary for the job. May just pull the trigger and get the ones I need. Can't have too many tools in the ol box can Ya? I've got lots of them for the dearly departed Shovel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If I was you I would go with the andrews reto cams and 07 up camplate and pump, better scavenging and oil pressure and they seem to be holding up very good. Have done a few of these and they are a lot quieter than the gear drives. No specail tools for the install is a plus also. You would want to replace the inner cam bearings with the torrinton B-148 bearings which need a removel and install tool is needed, can be had for around $85.00 aftermarket. Doc

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Im not trying to sway you in any direction,.. but throw the idea around of going to a gear driven setup. You gain 8HP cam for cam with gear driven, and no worries about chain slap, clatter or breaking.
I went this route. No regrets...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
8HP gain!? is that all?

8 HP gain!? Thats pretty impressive. The shop I deal with has a demo set up with a chain drive cams vs gear drive cams side by side. Both have a handy handle :eek: to manually spin. I gotta tell you the difference between the two is amazing!!!:eek: You have to put a lot of effort into the chain driven gears to spin but the gear drives....a flick of the wrist and they'll spin several revolutions....it really is amazing. I don't doubt 8 HP gain....I'll be looking at them when its time...FOR SURE!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
8 HP gain!? Thats pretty impressive. The shop I deal with has a demo set up with a chain drive cams vs gear drive cams side by side. Both have a handy handle :eek: to manually spin. I gotta tell you the difference between the two is amazing!!!:eek: You have to put a lot of effort into the chain driven gears to spin but the gear drives....a flick of the wrist and they'll spin several revolutions....it really is amazing. I don't doubt 8 HP gain....I'll be looking at them when its time...FOR SURE!
They say its all because of less tension, like you explained it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts