Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you motor heads. Haven't seen much talk here on tensioner wear (gawd knows its all over the web elswhere). Here's what mine look like at 70,000km (43,000 miles). I think I'm good another season easy. I know the inside wears more but I have an ESP on my '05 so I'll ride out the rest of that hopefully before I change them. I don't think its a big deal yet.

Here's what mine look like.....what do you think?:cool: I would appreciate any and all opinions, stories and experiences.
Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
You've got the ESP wich is cool, but what about in the middle of a road trip.... Thats how things go for me anyways :D
That would bug me because in my limited experience once they start to pit like that, things start to happen quickly. The shot is my front after trying to get one more season(my back was better??) Too close for me and your circulating all that crap....

Dirk

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
525 Posts
Looks like time to change them, Ken.........

·
Registered
425 Posts
Go gear drive!! I've know of a guy who had 12000 on when his shelled and that meant $$$$$. Its winter I'd go ahead and go gear drive, then no worries. Don't put off till tomorrow what you can fix today and save yourself time and money.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Go gear drive!! I've know of a guy who had 12000 on when his shelled and that meant $$$$$. Its winter I'd go ahead and go gear drive, then no worries. Don't put off till tomorrow what you can fix today and save yourself time and money.
Gear drive is a option, but crank runout is the determining factor (.002") to avoid grief and racket.... besides the stock shoe replacement, there is the SE Hybrid plate or the Andrews plate and they both utilize the new oil pump. The SE lets you run standard cams with the silent rear chain but the shoes are oil pressure driven.
Andrews gives you new style chains front and back but stuck with Andrews N grinds and some hybrid Woods cams also, if I'm not mistaken.

Dirk

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dirk
If my shoes looked anything like yours i'd be putting new ones in for sure. The service manual page you posted says if the shoes are equal to greater than half the thickness of the shoe then replace. I'm not half yet but good point about failures on the road.

Mike
I'd love to go to gear drive but my esp is good until 2012 so if i have to buy a new set of shoes before then i will instead of gear cams.(cheaper) Once the extended service plan expires I'll look at other options.

Doug
The way i see it i'll be good for a few more thousand clicks before i get 50%. I'll watch my milage and pull the cam chest open again to inspect. It's not too difficult now that i've done it once. The hard part is reinstalling the exhaust pipes.

Thanks guys for the input. Have you done your shoes yet or checked them Doug,Mike? I'm curious to see more pics.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Dirk
If my shoes looked anything like yours i'd be putting new ones in for sure. The service manual page you posted says if the shoes are equal to greater than half the thickness of the shoe then replace. I'm not half yet but good point about failures on the road.

Mike
I'd love to go to gear drive but my esp is good until 2012 so if i have to buy a new set of shoes before then i will instead of gear cams.(cheaper) Once the extended service plan expires I'll look at other options.

Doug
The way i see it i'll be good for a few more thousand clicks before i get 50%. I'll watch my milage and pull the cam chest open again to inspect. It's not too difficult now that i've done it once. The hard part is reinstalling the exhaust pipes.

Thanks guys for the input. Have you done your shoes yet or checked them Doug,Mike? I'm curious to see more pics.
Hey all, new here and need to change my shoes as well, I have 47k miles on my 06. Have any of you peformed this procedure. I have an SM and think I can do it. I'm planning on the stock shoes. With 46 K I figure i'll be trading here in or selling it, before I need another set of shoes.
Are there any good links with tips and tricks for changing them?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
One big thing that I sugest is to upgrade the tensioner to the Harley Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit (25284-08
).

This kit updates the cam chain tensioner of your early-model Twin Cam 88 engine to the latest design, as featured on the Twin Cam 96 engine. The billet cam support plate has been designed to allow the installation of the late-model Twin Cam 96 hydraulic cam chain tensionser to early Twin Cam 88-equipped models. These hydraulic cam chain tensioners will significantly outlast the spring loaded tensioners, and are an ideal addition to an engine modified for improved performance. In addition, '02-'06 models feature the late-model single row front cam chain and sprockets ('99 - '01 models use the existing front silent chain). utilize a Twin Cam 96 single row front roller chain and sprocket (included in kit). '99-'01 models use Original Equipment front silent chain and sprocket to retain the cam position sensor function. The kit includes the improved late-model Twin Cam 96 oil pump that increases flow by 8% and scavenging by 22% to enhance other performance upgrades. If you were to try to purchase this seperate, it would make the Up-Grade Kit worth the money by it's self.

Fits '99-'05 Dyna models, '99-06 Touring models, and '00-'06 Softail models. Installation requires separate purchase of Spacer Kit P/N 25285-08.

MSRP $429.95 but I bet you can get this kit for a whole lot less from the On-Line dealers.

Download Instruction Sheet from Harley Here.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks RoadGlideRider.
I have heard good things about the kit you speak of but i'm thinking $65 a set for the oem shoes is a better way for me to go at this point.

bild76
There are some good sites for 'how to' that make me think its not too difficult for most but you would have to have access to a press for bearing replacement. I think it was American iron magazine website that I saw the tutorial on cam chain tensioner replacement. Have you looked at yours yet? If not, check 'em so you know.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
thanks RoadGlideRider.
I have heard good things about the kit you speak of but I'm thinking $65 a set for the oem shoes is a better way for me to go at this point.
The real advantage to the Tensioner Plate Upgrade Kit is if you plan to keep or up grade the motor, you would be money and time ahead.
Plus if you plan to put miles on your RG, it is a Big help in reliability and cooling for the motor. The more oil the motor gets, the cooler and longer the motor runs.

You should keep this in mind and look to install it in the future.

·
Registered
68 Posts
RoadGlideRider gives you good advice. When I replaced them on my '02 RK, the one shoe was just about ready to grenade (at 35K). The whole SE or Andrews kit well worth the peace of mind, especially for long-haul riders. It's recommended you replace the lifters at the same time. You have the option of lifting the top end to get the lifters out, or cutting them and replacing them with adjustables (easier/cheaper). The cam lobes were worn through the hard surface and weren't too long for the world anyway, so I dropped in a set of Andrews N27s. Got a big-time boost in the mid-range. Whole project was worth it, except that I traded the bike in after about 1500 miles later when I saw the first FLTRU on the floor. Oh well, I'd still have done it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts