Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input on cam install, I have cam picked out TW-222 and all other parts. Although I am having trouble deciding on if I should change out the Lifters or not ? I was kinda looking for some input from people that have and have not, or just some informed opinions on the matter . Thanks
Bike is a 12 RGU

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I did the fuelmoto lifters with the 222 cams. I think it made the top end quieter and it was piece of cake on adjusting the push roads, no bleed time needed! I suppose I didn't have to but thought why not since I already had the cam chest open. I have no regrets :D

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
???????????
Did not know that FM had a on-site manufacturing facility that is able to mass-produce lifters?
When did they start that manufacturing?
Must be a Mazak, or a Morey-Seiki bar-feeder with live tooling, and they must also now have a centerless grinder too?
I'll have to check that out.
WE, however, use S&S lifters here in our clients bikes to insure all is well with that area.
Scott

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Lifters are a added expense that isnt worth it if you are just doing cams..

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I did the fuelmoto lifters with the 222 cams. I think it made the top end quieter and it was piece of cake on adjusting the push roads, no bleed time needed! I suppose I didn't have to but thought why not since I already had the cam chest open. I have no regrets :D
Fuel Moto sells Woods Lifters.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looking for input on cam install, I have cam picked out TW-222 and all other parts. Although I am having trouble deciding on if I should change out the Lifters or not ? I was kinda looking for some input from people that have and have not, or just some informed opinions on the matter . Thanks
Bike is a 12 RGU
I have the Woods directional lifters in my FM107 kit (2010 FLHTCU) with my TW-555 cam. FM installed them as part of their 107 kit. I'm not sure if I needed them or not, but my bike runs perfect, makes awesome power and has very little valve train noise over stock.

I, like you, am planning on doing a TW-222 cam in my RGC. I'm again having FM install their kit that includes the Woods lifters. I assume, that the shop I use (Fuel Moto) knows what they are doing and I follow their recommendations.

Maybe you should call Woods and ask why or when would you need their lifters if you are concerned about installing new lifters.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
???????????
Did not know that FM had a on-site manufacturing facility that is able to mass-produce lifters?
Must be a Mazak, or a Morey-Seiki bar-feeder with live tooling, and they must also now have a centerless grinder too?
WE, however, use S&S lifters here in our clients bikes to insure all is well with that area.
Scott

You know as well as anyone here that very few of the companies selling lifters actually manufacture them, and I'm pretty sure you know all about private labeling, why should FM be any different than anyone else??

It is entirely possible that FM has their lifters manufactured to their specs, but it's also just as likely that they, or others, are re-boxing TRW Chevy lifters, with or without the knowledge of the actual manufacturer.
There's nothing to stop me from calling up Summit Racing, buying sets of lifters(Comp Cams, Crane, TRW etc) and then re-selling them in new boxes with my catchy name printed on them. For that matter, if I want to be even more impressive I can even have my catchy name laser engraved on those very same lifters and sell them for even more money.

Is FM different than anyone else, or am I missing something??

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
???????????
Scott
Excuse me! I purchased them frm fuelmoto is that better??

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would replace the lifters myself as I do not like to put worn parts atop of new parts. Wear patterns and all. Use whatever lifter you are comfortable with a like and think that you got a good deal on. I just rebuilt my engine and I went with the Gatorman 1023's and I absolutely love them. Scott from HillSide can be kind of bi-polar, it isn't his fault.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will do new lifters with a new cam also. I will next week if the darn cam comes in...
Wear pattern and all. I think I'll get a little better oil pressure with the Fueling lifters too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I will do new lifters with a new cam also. I will next week if the darn cam comes in...
Wear pattern and all. I think I'll get a little better oil pressure with the Fueling lifters too.
Lifters are not going to help oil pressure. If you are concerned about oil pressure, get the Baisley LMR oil pressure spring as this will give you more pressure. I installed that spring when I had my engine apart and I am elated with how it works. That spring only costs like 15 bucks and well worth its weight in gold. I like the Gatormans because of the 3 directional oiling holes. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will have to look into gatormans lifters, and the spring as well. I ask mainly BC I see a lot of mixed reviews bike has like 3k on it so not worried about wear patterns on a newer bike. Just wondering benefits out weight the 2-300 bucks the things cost.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
???????????
Scott
With your wise ass attitude, its amazing people are willing to do business with you. Pretty common knowledge that FM doesn't make, or claim to make lifters. They sell made in the USA Woods lifters. As opposed to made in Mexico S&S. I must however give a thumbs up to S&S for making their new high end lifters here in the US. Hopefully it's a trend that continues.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Lifters are not going to help oil pressure. If you are concerned about oil pressure, get the Baisley LMR oil pressure spring as this will give you more pressure. I installed that spring when I had my engine apart and I am elated with how it works. That spring only costs like 15 bucks and well worth its weight in gold. I like the Gatormans because of the 3 directional oiling holes. :D
The Baisley spring was great for the 88" motors. The oil pressure on them was pretty low when it got hot. On the post 2007 motors oil pressure isn't an issue and if it is a spring is going to be the least of your problems.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Baisley spring was great for the 88" motors. The oil pressure on them was pretty low when it got hot. On the post 1997 motors oil pressure isn't an issue and if it is a spring is going to be the least of your problems.
Do you mean pre-1997? The 88" came out in 1999. There are different things that he can do to get that pressure up.

1.) Run straight thicker oil like a straight 50 or 60
2.) Install the Baisley Oil Spring. That thing works perfect and is intended and recommend for all Twin Cams. Yes I understand that SE has a different plate available and different pump blah blah blah, but that spring is $15 and is easy as hell to install. I am running about 40psi steady when I am hot and 45-50 when it is a little cooler. I have no valve train noise really to speak of and that is with roller rockers as well. I just hear the wonderful sound of gear drives and exhaust.
3.) Run an Oil Buds Oil Cooler.

Not all problems require a hefty price tag to fix, although that Oil Buds Cooler is spendy, but worth its weight in gold.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I will have to look into gatormans lifters, and the spring as well. I ask mainly BC I see a lot of mixed reviews bike has like 3k on it so not worried about wear patterns on a newer bike. Just wondering benefits out weight the 2-300 bucks the things cost.
If you decide to go that rout, let me know via PM and I will hook you up with whom I purchased them from.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Do you mean pre-1997? The 88" came out in 1999. There are different things that he can do to get that pressure up.

1.) Run straight thicker oil like a straight 50 or 60
2.) Install the Baisley Oil Spring. That thing works perfect and is intended and recommend for all Twin Cams. Yes I understand that SE has a different plate available and different pump blah blah blah, but that spring is $15 and is easy as hell to install. I am running about 40psi steady when I am hot and 45-50 when it is a little cooler. I have no valve train noise really to speak of and that is with roller rockers as well. I just hear the wonderful sound of gear drives and exhaust.
3.) Run an Oil Buds Oil Cooler.

Not all problems require a hefty price tag to fix, although that Oil Buds Cooler is spendy, but worth its weight in gold.
I fixed my post. I meant to say pre 2007 motors. The pre 2007 motors only ran 15 psi or so cold and when hot it wasn't uncommon for most to drop to near zero pressure at idle. The post 2007 motors run 30-32 cold and 15+ when hot which is more then enough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
New Harley lifters suck!

Lots of ideas here......heres another. If you research the failure rate of the 99c lifter you will most likely come to the conclusion that it would be best to change them while you are in there doing cams. (At least I hope you do.) Now comes the issue of what lifters to get. Lots of choices, Gatermans, Johnson-Hylift, HQ Black Ops, Woods Directional and so on. You may know already that a lifter for a small block Chevy is a direct fit for a harley lifter, but not all Chevy small block lifters are created equal. I'll let you in on a little secret a few of us around my neck of the woods found out and it's been working just dandy.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-875-1/. Get yourself four of these dudes, set them at .100 and ride off into the sunset. $60 or several hundred for "harley performance lifters". I'm not made of money and I avoid paying the Harley tax whenever possible. Your call.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts