Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed drago's 565 cams in my bike. After checking the crank and cam sprocket alignment. When I put the chain back on I didnt pay attention to the dots and the timing was off and the bike wouldnt start. I started over and got it right and the bike fired right up. I set the the pushrods at 4 turn per S&S's instructions. And installed new lifters as well. Only has a little miss/stumble at about 2500-3k with the generic map I have, other than that seems alright.

What are the chances I hurt the valves while trying to start it with the timing off? Would it run really bad if the valve was bent?

I am going start by getting a compression tester seeing what the reading is. I want to make sure all is good before sending for Dyno tuning.

Makes me feel like a idiot that I goofed it up. But SH*T happens I guess.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It's the tune. If you bent a valve it would run bad from idle to redline. Not just at 2500-3k.

I a compression test to make sure.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Odds are you're alright and its just the tune. Generic maps are just a starting point to get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Odds are you're alright and its just the tune. Generic maps are just a starting point to get you in the ballpark.
I got a tester and will check later on today. I am also wanting on my Rush racing h-pipe to get here before dyno tuning.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Did you check the location of the O2 sensors, gray/front black/rear. You must have removed the exhaust to put in cams.:confused:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I only took off the rear pipe as I have true duals. I only unplugged the rear sensor(grey).

My guess is the tune as well. As it runs pretty decent. What I have read it would run pretty horrible with bent valves. Maybe I dodged a bullet with my error on reassembly.

I will probably have valley racing in IL do the dyno tune on it. They seem to have a great rep on the forums.

·
Registered
217 Posts
What are you using for tune, you are not saying if you are using a tts,pc,pv etc... I guess only the stock ecm?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Frank gave me a tune for my 580 cams and it sucked bad. I pro auto tuned it 15 times and could never get it below 18%. It wanted to cap or scale the tune every session. I ended up using a fuel moto tune for woods 555 cams and got it spot on in 4 auto tune sessions. It runs great now.

If you want I can send you this map. Might be closer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Frank gave me a tune for my 580 cams and it sucked bad. I pro auto tuned it 15 times and could never get it below 18%. It wanted to cap or scale the tune every session. I ended up using a fuel moto tune for woods 555 cams and got it spot on in 4 auto tune sessions. It runs great now.

If you want I can send you this map. Might be closer.
Pm sent. Glad to be a member of this forum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts