·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is cam overlap and how do you adjust with a thundermax auto tune

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Overlap is the number of degrees that the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time.

Because it is the design of the cam that causes overlap you cannot adjust overlap with a tuner - only by changing the cam can you change overlap.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noise

Overlap is the number of degrees that the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time.

Because it is the design of the cam that causes overlap you cannot adjust overlap with a tuner - only by changing the cam can you change overlap.

[/URL][/IMG]
can the over lap make a noise after changing heads and cam I have a noise like a thump thump thump the bike runs fine in the power band 3200-6200 I took it up to 105 mph and 6200rpm didnt scatter the engine I might have an intake manifold leak that could be the sound I used the old manifold rubber o rings I wonder if the S&S heads are the same angle as stock for the intakw manifold?

·
Registered
96 Posts
What RPM do you hear the sound? With TBW a cam with fair amount of overlap will make the throttle plate vibrate, and at certain throttle openings it sounds like a knock. Especially with an open element air filter.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
can the over lap make a noise after changing heads and cam I have a noise like a thump thump thump the bike runs fine in the power band 3200-6200 I took it up to 105 mph and 6200rpm didnt scatter the engine I might have an intake manifold leak that could be the sound I used the old manifold rubber o rings I wonder if the S&S heads are the same angle as stock for the intakw manifold?
Overlap can definitely change the way a bike sounds, especially at idle. A larger/longer overlap will cause a rough or lopey idle. Hard to tell from your description alone what you have going on. Any good builders or techs in your area you can have listen to your bike for any input? Maybe some of the builders on the forum here can shed some more light on your issue.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Countr

I live in a town with 1000 people the closet stealer is 75 miles away I would rather put a new engine in my bike than to take it to D&S Harley lol I have no problem working on bikes Im 65 and have been riding sense I was 14 years old I had flat head harleys and a lot if Indians in my day but the chit is high tech now lol I dont like the S&S 570 cams and will be replacing them with the S&S 583 cams next month I hope I get a new air cleaner tomorow so I will replace the rubber o rings on the intake manifold I have a stage 1 air box and am going with this bad mofo lol

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I for one learned a lot on this thread!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noise

I can hear it a low rpm I didnt hear it before because I had no baffles and was loud but at 65 it didnt bother me lol other riders said Joe please ride behind me Im deaf from your pipe If it is an air leak at the intake manifold making the noise I will fix it this week but we have the first days of 70 degree weather so riding comes first work later I will let ya know what I do ride or work haheha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts